MRI Results

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
cbell

MRI Results

Post by cbell »

Hi everyone! I'm a new member. I've had fatigue, memory loss, language issues and horrible foot cramps (only on my left side) for a couple years. Over the past month I've developed balance problems where several times a day I almost fall over. I had an MRI last week and it said, "small vessel ischemic change and old demyelinating disease such as multiple sclerosis". My primary care doctor received the results and is referring me to a neurologist. This is going to take at least a month to get in and I'd really like to know if I have MS or not so I can start treatment. I know they cannot definitively diagnose MS with just a MRI, but with a physical exam, ect. My question is this: what is an old demyelinating disease? Does that mean I've had MS for awhile? I'm not asking anyone to diagnose, but just to get some advice as to what other people's MRI (who have been diagnosed with MS) said. Could demyelinating disease be something else besides MS? The MRI also said I have multiple areas of "white matter signal abnormality in the frontal lobes and occipital lobes with minimal periventricular change". Has anyone else ever heard this before? I'd love to hear from any of you that have had similar experiences with their MRI results. Thanks so much for all you help!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MRI Results

Post by NHE »

Hi Cbell,
Welcome to ThisIsMS.
cbell wrote:Hi everyone! I'm a new member. I've had fatigue, memory loss, language issues and horrible foot cramps (only on my left side) for a couple years. Over the past month I've developed balance problems where several times a day I almost fall over. I had an MRI last week and it said, "small vessel ischemic change and old demyelinating disease such as multiple sclerosis". My primary care doctor received the results and is referring me to a neurologist. This is going to take at least a month to get in and I'd really like to know if I have MS or not so I can start treatment. I know they cannot definitively diagnose MS with just a MRI, but with a physical exam, ect. My question is this: what is an old demyelinating disease? Does that mean I've had MS for awhile?
It probably means that the lesions are old and are not currently sites of active inflammation.
I'm not asking anyone to diagnose, but just to get some advice as to what other people's MRI (who have been diagnosed with MS) said. Could demyelinating disease be something else besides MS? The MRI also said I have multiple areas of "white matter signal abnormality in the frontal lobes and occipital lobes with minimal periventricular change". Has anyone else ever heard this before? I'd love to hear from any of you that have had similar experiences with their MRI results. Thanks so much for all you help!
There are many conditions which can cause lesions, e.g., migraine headaches and sleep apnea just to name a couple. Many MS lesions are periventricular, but not all. Your neurologist will need to interpret the MRI results for your specific case.
cbell

Re: MRI Results

Post by cbell »

Ok, thank you for your help.