Update

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Schatzi

Update

Post by Schatzi »

I posted previously about an odd event involving my eyesight (resembling an occular migraine) and bad foot cramps for years.
Well, for the past week, the eye in which the "migraine" occurred has been hurting off and on, throughout the day. A dull achy feeling behind the eyeball. Sometimes bad, sometimes not, but almost always there.
I'll be seeing an eye doctor in a couple of weeks if it persists.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Schatzi

Re: Update

Post by Schatzi »

I'd like to add, I am NOT going back and forth to the doctor for months or years, to get a diagnosis. Hence, my being on this message board asking those who have been living with the condition, to get an idea of where to focus (if possible).
It is absolutely insane that it can take years to figure out what's going on, I have zero patience with that.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

Schatzi wrote:I'd like to add, I am NOT going back and forth to the doctor for months or years, to get a diagnosis. Hence, my being on this message board asking those who have been living with the condition, to get an idea of where to focus (if possible).
It is absolutely insane that it can take years to figure out what's going on, I have zero patience with that.
You will need to go through the diagnostic process just like everyone else, unfortunately there are no short cuts. Many conditions, vitamin/mineral deficiencies, some medications and mental health disorders all cause similar symptoms as those seen in MS. There is a diagnostic criteria for MS (The Revised McDonald Criteria) and part of that criteria requires all other possible causes for a person's symptoms be ruled in/out.

There is no single test, by it's self, that can give a definitive diagnosis of MS and the reason why it can, sometimes, take a lengthy time for diagnosis.

Information on diagnosing MS:
https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sympt ... gnosing-MS

Some of the other possible conditions to rule out:
https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sympt ... o-Rule-Out
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

A diagnosis is extremely important if you want to seek medical treatment, but if you do not intend to take medication(s) and plan to treat yourself, it doesn't necessarily matter.

Virtually all disease stems from inflammation, so non-medical treatments follow the same general path (and are often very effective).

But the reality is that it is probably in your best long term interest to get a diagnosis regardless of the amount of effort it might take.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi schatzi

i've had ocular migraine and have treated successfully with high quality soluble form of magnesium (one or two short term therapeutic doses via powder caps). i use high quality soluble/absorbable magnesium for headaches too (rarely get them ever at this point)

for cramps in foot are you talking about those ones where your toes are trying to cross. they suck. that can be a potassium/magnesium combo if so. we need tons of potassium daily and it's hard for your body to utilize potassium if magnesium is low as well.

the other kind of foot pain i've had is probably unllkely in your case. diet was too high in oxalates for a while. ended up with a version of gout once i realized what was going on. changed up the routine and everything resolved for good.

when i had the worst cognitive impairment i felt part of it as a sort of ache behind my left eyeball. it was as if my brain was straining to process the info coming in, and i could feel it. it was most noticeable when i was trying to process spatial info at speed eg worst if changing lanes on the highway. milder ache for reading labels when walking down an aisle at a store. i'd had an mri and asked the neuro if the mri info looked like it could correspond to this feeling and he said yes. anyway i found out same time that i was zinc deficient and when i fixed that, my cog fog cleared up, visual processing issues cleared up, funny eyeball strainy ache thing disappeared, and it all stayed gone for good.

related: zinc deficiency can be seen on brain mri which is pretty cool. rat study: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 20007/full
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.