Long shot but I thought I’d ask...

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Meris2496

Long shot but I thought I’d ask...

Post by Meris2496 »

So I’ve been very hesitant over the the last 3 years to come to this kind of speculation, but it’s been bothering me for a long time.

So my mother had ms and as far I was told, I would never get ms, which I still want to believe however, in the recent years, things have gotten worse health wise.

So around 3 years ago, After I started driving for a year, I stopped being able to drive for long periods of time. I can’t drive more than 30 minutes anymore sometimes 20. I’ve adjusted my seat multiple times and even used a pillow to cushion myself as recommended but nothing has help. I noticed it when I feel a sharp electric type of pain shoot through my leg, and at first I just did stretches to help it out but it never worked. And it’s been rhat way ever since. Come to find out it was my sciatica and so they said that if I did these stretches it would go away, and ease up but it never did.

And over the years, ive had what I like to call nerve flare ups randomly in both of my life and my arms, they’re completely random and they hurt a lot and they last for a good 30 secs to a a minute each. And it’s gotten more frequent this year and I’ve done some stretches to help but to no avail.

I asked the doctor but he doesn’t seemed to concern with it and I’m way to scared to ask if they could do a test of some sort. I had an mri done recently because I injured my back on the job and they found a herniated disc which explained the back pain

But not the random nerve flare up, they just recommended stretches but I’m getting worried because when my mom had ms, she had the exact type of nerve flare ups and it was would completely random and I’m not trying to jump that conclusion but no doctor is willing to really listen to me or take my concern seriously.

I’m a 21 year old female btw
Kittie
Family Elder

Re: Long shot but I thought I’d ask...

Post by Kittie »

I am sure you will get lots of really good recommendations from this site, but if I knew in my twenties what I know now I would get a blood test and get it sorted. It could be something easy to put right but you need to be taking the right things and doing the right things.

Personally doctors did nothing for me, for my MS, but a good nutritionist knows what is happening to your body. You might need a doctor but you need to get it sorted out.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

MS is not inherited but it can occur in clusters of people and they can be related. What you've described so far doesn't sound like enough to describe MS. What might be worthwhile is seeing a good osteopath or masseur and have them go over you to determine if there are a few tight spots. They should be able to relieve them and then see what happens. There are a string of impingements that fit what you've described so try the obvious first.

Regards
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"So my mother had ms and as far I was told, I would never get ms

My dad had MS and my 2 brothers (1 has MS) and I were told the same thing. The doctors just don't know.

"MS is not inherited"

I disagree. There are too many other families in the same boat and they would disagree as well. The doctors just don't know.

" I’m way to scared to ask if they could do a test of some sort"

While it is unlikely (by the numbers), it would be better to err on the side of caution. You should ask and get them done at this time, and assuming you are OK at this point, take extra good care of your self, proper diet, weight, take quality supplements that are known to help with MS and MS prevention, don't drink or smoke, make sure you get plenty of sleep, do routine blood work regularly (knowing your vitamin D level is very important) and consider trying a gluten free diet for an extended period of time. Always monitor your health carefully.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hope you are fine and feel better!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi and welcome mer

it's hit and miss whether parents pass on ms to their offspring, or not.

in addition to the genetic package, what parents do often pass along is the younger generation's environment. this includes many things and some of the easiest for the younger generation to control, especially when they transition to independence, is diet and lifestyle.

a herniated disc at age 21. what did the docs have to say about that, exactly?

what can you tell us about your day to day routine? what are your daily habits in terms of food fluids meds and if any, supplements? have you been referred specifically for physiotherapy? is that where the stretching instructions came from? has anyone sent you to a dietitian, for assessment of your routine's ability to meet essential nutrient needs?

i can tell you right now that i have a twinge in my hip which i've had before and it was a messed up SI joint, my PT sorted me right out and the relief has lasted for years until quite recently. an old workplace facet joint sprain acted up and since then the old pinched nerve feeling in the pelvis has kicked in too. it has all the feels of realignment needed.

herniated disc sounds too degenerative to ignore. neuro once said to me "you have a ratty neck for your age". it made an impression and i learned plenty about the challenges involved with spinal nutrition after that.

sounds like you may have some worthwhile investigation and action items to take care of!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Meris2496

Post by Meris2496 »

Op here- thank you everyone! Yeah I don’t want to jump to the conclusion at all. I would hate to go through what my mother did but with the herniated disc. They said that I had degenerated disc disease. They said it was pretty much gone as far the disc goes and they wouldn’t say it’s because of my work injury but most likely it was and as long as as the doctor didn’t say it was , I couldn’t have made a case. I saw another one he said it wasn’t either but had no idea what it was from. The only other thing I have is mild scoliosis which is 26 degrees, but it only caused mild discomfort

I no longer have severe lumbar pain since being out of work from the warehouse but the sciatica nerve pain is still there. When I was diagnosed with the degenerative disc disease, I went to therapy and they couldn’t stretch me out at all. It was so bad that I can’t lift my leg up half way up. They’ve tried doing multiple exercises and stretches for a few months but they couldn’t fix the issue which stumped them but mostly at night is my nerve flare up and it cramps my legs really bad

So it may very well be the disc disease?? But there’s no cure for that condition and therapy can’t do anything really for me and surgery is too risky
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

OK you're talking about a few different things here. If we start at the last point about cramping at night then we can have two very different things at work. 1) You can have an impingement coming from the spine that compresses a nerve and that is where thoughts about surgery come from or 2) a muscle in your backside called the periformis is tight and when you lie or sit on it the sciatic nerve gets compressed and your leg spasms. You will feel that most prominently below the knee in both the calf and the muscle that runs alongside the shin bone. You can, of course have both problems.
If it's coming from your spine then a few months of exercises won't be enough and it will also depend on the exercise. If it's coming from the periformis then the most effective treatment is a guided cortisone injection into the membrane over the periformis. As a rule, it is the last thing a doctor will think of. As it's called periformis syndrome then it can be difficult get them to buy into it. Syndromes are somewhat nonspecific. https://www.spine-health.com/video/piri ... rome-video
If it is the periformis then any exercise involving abduction (moving the limb away from the centre line) will be agonising.

When you say you have trouble pulling the leg up that suggest the psoas muscle is weak or tight. It's a very big muscle in your torso that is responsible for lifting your leg up. It's not the muscles in your leg that matter if you lift your leg, it's the psoas. This is a difficult muscle to exercise because it is so deep but pilates instructors are all over it.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Last edited by Scott1 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ouch! still curious about the details of your daily routine... some info in the meantime:

Food for Thought: Diet and Nutrition for a Healthy Back
https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/n ... althy-back

Correlation of serum trace elements and melatonin levels to ... degeneration in patients with intervertebral disc herniation
https://link.springer.com/article/10.13 ... 23?LI=true
"The Zn level and Zn/Mg ratio showed a decline in patients with IDH with aging... Our data indicated that there is a close relationship between MLT and Zn or Mg levels in the serum samples of patients with IDH, and the levels of these elements might be affected by the presence of degeneration process and serum MLT level, or vice versa."
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »