Can I have your opinion?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
pande

Can I have your opinion?

Post by pande »

Hi there,

I've had some chronic problems that doctors have been unable to address for many years, and I was wondering if someone could shed some light on my problems. I don't want to go to the doctor again for tests to just come up blank. The doctors usually look at me crazy when I explain these problems and my health insurance bill sky-rockets. I came across the list symptoms of MS when checking out my own, and realized that several of the problems that I've had could possibly be related.

The ongoing problems I've had are: bowel leakage (for 11 years), post nasal drip (for 9 years), eyes unable to stay focused... they constantly want to go into a blank stare (for 2 years). Last year I was diagnosed with testicular cancer, and about 2 months ago my head felt unbearably cold for about 3 weeks, and I was getting a slightly dizzy/cross eyed while this was happening. Lastly, I have a hard time communicating, or speaking to other people to the point that it's pretty noticeable to others, and kind of embarrassing. I haven't done any drugs, in case that crosses your mind.

Does this sound like it could be MS related to you? How seriously should I look into it as a possible cause? and if so, how should I get the doctor to run tests for it? Do I just march into the office and say that I've been Googling things, and want to be diagnosed for MS?

Thanks for any input or guidance anyone may be able to offer.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Can I have your opinion?

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Sometimes doctors refer people to other doctors who think like them. Have you tried a different GP as a starting point.

Do you still see an oncologist for the cancer? Is the bowel problem more bladder than bowel. If its bowel, then have you told him?

You might need to shift your general medical advice to a new doctor.

The question I always ask myself is "is this person helping me?". I'm never looking for a nice bedside manner.

Regards,
pande

Post by pande »

Thanks for the reply. Its been about 18 months now and I never spoke to the doctor about this. I recently found out that both my mother and uncle have MS, though. Given now the family history, I’m planning to bring this up to my doctor at my next physical.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

An immediate family member with an MS diagnosis only slightly increases one's risk for MS.
NMSS.org wrote:Genetic Factors: MS is not an inherited disease, meaning it is not a disease that is passed down from generation to generation. However, in MS there is genetic risk that may be inherited. In the general population, the risk of developing MS is about 1 in 750 - 1000. In identical twins, if one twin has MS the risk that the other twin will develop MS is about 1 in 4. The risk of developing MS is also increased when other first degree relative (parents, siblings and children) have MS, but far less than in identical twins.

About 200 genes have been identified that each contribute a small amount to the overall risk of developing MS. Research is ongoing to better understand genetic risk and other factors that contribute to the development of MS.
Anyways, this has been the long accepted hypothesis. A few years ago in 2016 a specific genetic link was found.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/ ... new-study/

By the way, do you eat any foods with imitation fat olestra (olean) in them? It can cause some of the problems you have listed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olestra

Return to “Undiagnosed”