Posting for my wife, MRI report 'May be MS'

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Posting for my wife, MRI report 'May be MS'

Post by jimmylegs »

so 40 mcg? deficiency not likely, but depends in part on absorption / retention. if relevant, anything like pernicious anemia should have been evident earlier.

bloodwork wouldn't hurt, regardless. the docs should run a b12 test if only to rule out low/deficient status as a contributing factor, if they are serious about ms as a possibility.

what specific multi is it and what else if anything is in the regimen
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
nwolfe88
Getting to Know You...

Post by nwolfe88 »

jimmylegs wrote:so 40 mcg? deficiency not likely, but depends in part on absorption / retention. if relevant, anything like pernicious anemia should have been evident earlier.

bloodwork wouldn't hurt, regardless. the docs should run a b12 test if only to rule out low/deficient status as a contributing factor, if they are serious about ms as a possibility.

what specific multi is it and what else if anything is in the regimen
It's opti-women from optimum nutrition. She also takes 5,000iu D3, and 4g Omega 3's daily.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

any link to product label details? also how long has she been doing 5K IU D3 daily
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
nwolfe88
Getting to Know You...

Post by nwolfe88 »

jimmylegs wrote:any link to product label details? also how long has she been doing 5K IU D3 daily
https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/ ... -sQAvD_BwE

Been doing the d3 quite a while now.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

nwolfe88 wrote:
NHE wrote:
nwolfe88 wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/12xgcfgQxTWQGCQB3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gg60ugS1jKHv7C5x1

Here they are. The one with the mouse pointer is just trying to point out where the spinal fluid channel is "pinched", or narrower.
I'm not sure why the contrast seems blown out in the lower half of the images. It makes it difficult to see what's going on in the second linked image.
Thanks a lot. They are phone pics of the MRI on my computer so the exposure is probably messed up.
To get a better image, there's likely a way to export the image out of the MRI viewing program and save it as a jpg file. If you can't find that, then you can just hit the print screen button to copy the whole screen and then paste the image into a graphics editing program and crop out the extraneous information. If you don't have a graphics editing program, then a free one with many features similar to Photoshop can be downloaded from http://www.gimp.org.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

so 100 mcg per serving - shouldve remembered dv % is different than recommended daily for b12

is she taking 1 of these per day, or 2?

magnesium content, esp in relation to calcium content (yay good old 2:1 sheesh), doesnt look high enough or high enough quality to properly contend with 5K IU of d3. is it a dynamic that could be implicated in the weakness issue? hard to say.
nwolfe88
Getting to Know You...

Post by nwolfe88 »

jimmylegs wrote:so 100 mcg per serving - shouldve remembered dv % is different than recommended daily for b12

is she taking 1 of these per day, or 2?

magnesium content, esp in relation to calcium content (yay good old 2:1 sheesh), doesnt look high enough or high enough quality to properly contend with 5K IU of d3. is it a dynamic that could be implicated in the weakness issue? hard to say.
2 pills per day. Is that enough b12? What looks lacking? Magnesium and calcium? Just magnesium?

Also just discovered brachial plexus injury's. Interesting. A stretched nerve may explain the signal abnormality in the MRI and weakness/immobility in the shoulder.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

2 pills per day should be enough b12.
magnesium is low in relation to d3 intake and calcium isnt necessarily advisable.
high dose d3 tends to deplete magnesium over time, unless good quality properly timed mag is taken also.
high dose d3 with calcium supplementation can result in its own set of issues.
for monitoring purposes consider keeping an eye on serum 25(OH)vit d3, serum calcium and serum magnesium.
all three can be 'normal' but far from 'optimal'.
nwolfe88
Getting to Know You...

Post by nwolfe88 »

jimmylegs wrote:2 pills per day should be enough b12.
magnesium is low in relation to d3 intake and calcium isnt necessarily advisable.
high dose d3 tends to deplete magnesium over time, unless good quality properly timed mag is taken also.
high dose d3 with calcium supplementation can result in its own set of issues.
for monitoring purposes consider keeping an eye on serum 25(OH)vit d3, serum calcium and serum magnesium.
all three can be 'normal' but far from 'optimal'.
What doses of each should one shoot for per day?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

What you described about the arm sounds awfully like frozen shoulder. Try a sports medicine doctor for confirmation. This is the safest way to fix it if it is . The video actually makes it sound more dramatic than it actually is. It takes very little time. You walk in and you walk out in 30 minutes after a lot of waiting for your turn. Beware of someone who wants to scrape the bone or "clean it up".

Regards,
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

dose other than meeting daily public health intake recommendations depends on current status. test results help there.
daily recs for mag are on the low side and most ppl don't meet those.
proposed intake range to help compensate for typical lifestyle impacts on mag absorption/retention is 7-10 mg/kg body weight per day.
knowing how close daily intake from diet\lifestyle gets you, informs how much more you need to get topped up.
high dosing d3 is one thing that means higher mag intake required.
a pharmacist who helped me get sorted out when i was in bad shape on 4000 iU d3 per day. said take half the daily mag supplement at the same time as d3, and the other half well away.
that pharmacist did not tip me off re the relative value of diff forms. mag oxide, as in your wife's supplement is low on the absorption spectrum but it's a decent laxative.
after trying different forms over the years i now prefer magnesium glycinate.

was there nothing other than the tear on the shoulder scan?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i was wrong pernicious anemia can/does present later in life. weird.

Spinal MR imaging in Vitamin B12 deficiency: Case series; differential diagnosis of symmetrical posterior spinal cord lesions
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3724087/
nwolfe88
Getting to Know You...

Post by nwolfe88 »

Can anyone recommend a multi vitamin that has the correct dosages and ratios, etc.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i am aware of no multi built to contend with daily 5000iU vit D3, in the context of ms or otherwise.

multis still have value but are just not meant to replace attention to detail on total nutrient requirements. they're built to assist maintenance in healthy individuals assuming a decent proportion of needs are met via healthy diet. they are not designed for restoring depleted levels in ppl dealing with chronic or acute illness.

a dietitian can help advise re appropriate ways to increase dietary nutrient density. they'll potentially also be focused on maintenance in the context of health vs on restoration in the context of illness.

in prep for any dietitian visit, a thorough and detailed diet diary (that reads like a recipe not a menu and includes not just foods but all fluids, meds, supplements and activity/stress levels) could be a useful exercise.
nwolfe88
Getting to Know You...

Post by nwolfe88 »

Could the demyelination simply be because of stress?

Can it go away?

I really don't think it's MS.

Return to “Undiagnosed”