Potential MS

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
BadWolfRose

Potential MS

Post by BadWolfRose »

Lately, I've been having a lot of symptoms out of nowhere. The first one that hit was a few waves of blurry vision. Which, at first I thought, Oh I need new glasses and pushed off. But even with the new glasses, I have had double vision and blurry vision. Then I've had a weird feeling around my left rib and right rib which is pressure, but not the whole rib. It's a very hard thing to explain. I've had a ton of numbness and tingling and random itching. The tingling has really been in my head and across my back, but sometimes it hits my legs. I've even lost feeling in my hands a time or two. It's been an interesting few months.

Some of it I wrote off at first-at least the aching in my legs, because I Know with a low Vitamin D Level (Mine was 6. It's now up to 25, though it's taken 6 months to raise it.)
My doctor has me doing four weeks of PT before we send me off for a MRI, unless I have any other odd symptoms.

I've been researching and I'm curious if these are symptoms that point me in the direction of MS. Or Maybe I am just worried and am looking in the wrong direction.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Potential MS

Post by NHE »

BadWolfRose wrote:Some of it I wrote off at first-at least the aching in my legs, because I Know with a low Vitamin D Level (Mine was 6. It's now up to 25, though it's taken 6 months to raise it.)
Welcome to ThisIsMS. Are you taking magnesium along with your vitamin D? Sometimes a resistance to raising vitamin D levels is an indicator of a magnesium deficiency.

In addition, it's important to take the D3 form rather than the D2 form. Taking the D3 with a meal that includes fat also increases the amount that gets absorbed.

Dietary fat increases vitamin D-3 absorption.
J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015 Feb;115(2):225-30.
  • BACKGROUND: The plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D response to supplementation with vitamin D varies widely, but vitamin D absorption differences based on diet composition is poorly understood.

OBJECTIVES: We tested the hypotheses that absorption of vitamin D-3 is greater when the supplement is taken with a meal containing fat than with a fat-free meal and that absorption is greater when the fat in the meal has a higher monounsaturated-to-polyunsaturated fatty acid ratio (MUFA:PUFA).

DESIGN: Open, three-group, single-dose vitamin D-3 comparative absorption experiment.

PARTICIPANTS/SETTING: Our 1-day study was conducted in 50 healthy older men and women who were randomly assigned to one of three meal groups: fat-free meal, and a meal with 30% of calories as fat with a low (1:4) and one with a high (4:1) MUFA:PUFA. After a 12-hour fast, all subjects took a single 50,000 IU vitamin D-3 supplement with their test breakfast meal.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Plasma vitamin D-3 was measured by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry before and 10, 12 (the expected peak), and 14 hours after the dose.

STATISTICAL ANALYSES PERFORMED: Means were compared with two-tailed t tests for independent samples. Group differences in vitamin D-3 absorption across the measurement time points were examined by analysis of variance with the repeated measures subcommand of the general linear models procedure.

RESULTS: The mean peak (12-hour) plasma vitamin D-3 level after the dose was 32% (95% CI 11% to 52%) greater in subjects consuming fat-containing compared with fat-free meals (P=0.003). Absorption did not differ significantly at any time point in the high and low MUFA and PUFA groups.

CONCLUSIONS: The presence of fat in a meal with which a vitamin D-3 supplement is taken significantly enhances absorption of the supplement, but the MUFA:PUFA of the fat in that meal does not influence its absorption.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Potential MS

Post by jimmylegs »

hi and welcome :)

strongly seconding nhe's comment above. details re your prescription/regimen to achieve the increase from 6 to 25 would be very informative and useful. also pls advise on the units for those results of yours (are they nmol/l or ???)

if the doc has prescribed vit d (whatever the form) in isolation to deal with the low level, that's unfortunately still typical but beginning to improve via inclusion of essential cofactors.

has anyone suggested, or have you requested, referral to a pro dietitian? (as distinct from a nutritionist or similar)?

https://www.nutritioned.org/dietitian-v ... onist.html
https://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health/F ... onist.aspx

if so, any info from that source?

if you're just high dosing d3 to fix a deficit without addressing essential cofactors, adding vit d to your regimen alone could be partially responsible for your symptoms. if you have or can get a serum magnesium level in conjunction with any vit d testing, you'll want to aim for high normal serum mag to minimize any chance of mag deficiency symptoms within the normal range.

if you take anything else, details would be helpful.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.