New Here - Hello All!

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
carpediem

New Here - Hello All!

Post by carpediem »

Hello!
I’m a 30 y/o female living in CA and new to this forum. I’ve been diagnosed with transverse myelitis. My CSF index was abnormal and my CSF also showed oligoclonal bands. My brain MRI showed two lesions. I suppose this puts me in a higher risk of an MS diagnosis. All my other blood work was normal. My Vit D level was 28 (I’ve started taking supplements). Anyone else on here that had transverse myelitis as their initial attack? Also, if you have any suggestions or tips for me, please do share! :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: New Here - Hello All!

Post by jimmylegs »

hi and welcome!
question re d3 - how much per day? have the docs advised anything re vit d3 cofactors to enhance dose response and help deal with any d3 intake related depletion issues?
were any of the other 'normal' tests for nutrients? in quite a few cases it's 'normal' to be deficient, so it can be better to have your detailed results and decide whether your own levels match known sick/deficient low normal levels, or 'healthy optimal' high normal levels.
haven't personally got transverse myelitis in my background but others may chime in :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
carpediem

Post by carpediem »

Thanks for your reply, Jimmylegs!
My neurologist advised 3000 per day, but not sure if I should increase to 5000. As far as the other test, I had a complete blood count, comprehensive metabolic test, folic acid,Vitamin B12, Methylmalonic acid, homocysteine, sjogrens antibody, etc... pretty much to rule out other diseases. What other nutrients do you recommend I get tested for?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

carpediem wrote:I’m a 30 y/o female living in CA and new to this forum. I’ve been diagnosed with transverse myelitis.
Welcome to ThisIsMS. You may be interested in reading the Transverse Myelitis Fact Sheet from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS).

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Pat ... Fact-Sheet
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

While there are many supplements you can take, I don't know how you feel about them. In any case, I would recommend you take a high quality Omega 3 supplement. I am happy to recommend others if you are interested. I also invite you to refer to this thread:
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 30118.html

There is also a lot of good information on this site with regards to high dose Vitamin D3 which I also highly recommend you read and follow.

What kind of diet are you following currently?
carpediem

Post by carpediem »

Thanks for the links and warm welcome all!

I just started the OMS diet. I've only been on it for about three weeks now.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi again, i have a bit of a list but for now if you are taking 3000 iu per day of d3 it would be a good idea to start also taking some high quality soluble absorbable magnesium eg magnesium glycinate powder capsules 1 a day with the d3, plus more at another time (2nd intake maybe in context of a multivit/min to help bring in other cofactors).
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.

Return to “Undiagnosed”