Kindly asking for your opinions about my symptoms.

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Soulhunter

Kindly asking for your opinions about my symptoms.

Post by Soulhunter »

I'd like to begin by saying thank you so much for taking your time reading this, it means the world to me. And I'm not asking for a diagnosis; just a view on if this might be MS, something else or nothing at all.

I am a 30 year old male, I have always been healthy expect for some allergy.

Also, my mother tongue is Swedish so I hope my English is not too bad.

It all began with a light/soft tingling in my left foot and blurred vision in July 2017.

This tingling (the "main" symptom) does not feel like when a body part is sleeping temporarily, for example if you've been sitting on your leg and interrupting the blood supply. No, my tingling is more vague and sometimes it's hard to feel but it's always there when I'm sitting or laying down. Though, when I walk, stand or move my leg, I don't feel it.

The blurred vision does not last for more than a half day at a time and it can pass weeks or months between the moments. I still get this nowadays and I also experience that my night vision is impaired. Not only when it's pitch black but also when it's gloomily or dusk.

This tingling (and the blurred vision) was the only symptom from July to October, when more symptoms started. I'll list them below:

* Excessive sweating - Initially only at night and only from hands, feet, back and inner thighs. Now I'm only sweating from my armpits and sometimes hands, but it can be during daytime as well.
* Goose bumps, chills and ague - often sudden attacks that usually only last for a few minutes at a time at most, but they can come and go a whole day.
* Muscle cramps - only in my calves and only at night, not more than three times totally since October.
* Muscle twitches - first noticed in summer 2017 when a part of my muscle on my left thigh twitched. It ceased the same day. The next period of muscle twitching was in October, now more widespread and lasted for a week before ceasing. Next period began in November and lasted until early January with widespread both small and more powerful twitches. Since then I have only had occasional twitches and now I'd say thay have ceased. I've had twitches in almost every muscle you can think of. My tounge twitches occassionaly when I stick it out. Not combined with weakness or atrophy anywhere.
* Shaking/tremor - only in my hands or fingers, sometimes after I've tested my strength (for signs of weakness) but also for no reason. My hand has shaken when I'm drinking out of a glass or holding a spoon. My thumb has shaken when typing a text message on the phone.
* Strange or heavy feeling in my left leg - occasional strange feeling in my left leg that changes from day to day. It's very hard to describe it, but it's like it's more heavy and stiff compared to your right leg. A few times it has felt like this in my left arm and my jaw. I have never had any actual problems moving the at the moment affected limb.
* Cold hands and feet.
* An overwhelming tiredness - especially in the afternoon when driving home or reading a book. When reading, I have needed to go back and read the last few pages again because I've not registered what I've been reading. This tiredness usually both hits me and goes away rather quick.
* A feeling of my muscles getting tired more easily and faster than usual, and also developing lactic acid faster than I'm used to.
* When holding really heavy objects in my hand straight out from my body, my arms has began shaking and later on almost buckle when I've pushed myself to hold it up.
* When lifting frying pans and pots, my muscles have tired more quickly than before and sometimes my wrists has buckled.
* When walking after riding my bicycle up a long and steep hill, my legs has felt both stiff and sloppy at the same and my walk has been like jerky for a few minutes.
* Feeling of dizziness - when sitting in a chair or just standing up I have felt how I'm being drawn backwards and how everything should diminish, but my vision has not been effected.
* Sudden loud sounds in my ears that only lasts for like 10 seconds.
* Difficulties using a keyboard - very hard to describe. Usually I use a keyboard without looking at it, but at work I have been experiencing sudden moments when I misspell everything if I don't look at the keyboard when writing. No other clumsiness has occurred during these moments.
* Pain - in different parts of my body and often confined, like on one spot on my arm before ceasing and moving to the same spot on the other arm. I've also had pain on one side of my hip, in my right knee and the lower back. It's no pain in joints but more like when you touch a bruise, except there is no bruise.
* Sudden need to visit the bathroom to pee - this was prominent from November to January of 2017, when it ceased. Now since April it's back again, but not as frequent as last time and for example I can have this in the morning but not in the afternoon, or the other way around.
* A feeling of being breathless for no apparent reason.
​* Premature ejaculation since at least the beginning of this year.
* Cough - around New Years Eve 2017 I developed a cough, a hard cough that caused pain in my throat. Much like a cough you have when you're having a cold. That did not bother me so much at first. The hard and pain-causing cough went away after a week or so, but it got replaced by a strong need to always clear my throat. This continued for about two months, when I told myself it was only psychological and that I should try to stop it to give my throat some rest. It has been hard but I do hardly not clear my throat at all anymore. I still get the need to cough sometimes and then it's a more wet cough with some saliva coming up.

In October, I went to a general practitioner at the local health centre. We discussed my symptoms and they ran some blood tests which all were fine. I had hoped they would find something on my thyroid, since that could explain a lot of my symptoms. So, after this visit I actually got more worried.

Now, in February I wen't to a resident physician at a neurological unit at the local hospital. He conducted a neurological exam on me. He had me walk on heels and toes, he tested balance, coordination, strength, reflexes, muscle tonus, vision and field of view, sensation, hearing, Babinski and he also checked my face and tongue. After the exam he told me that everything looked fine. Except for some slightly increased tonus in my arms and legs, but he referred that to stress and anxiety. He also discussed the result with a neurologist at the hospital, and came back to me after a few weeks again saying that they did not find anything that indicates something neurological wrong with me.

I was relieved, but it still bothers and worries me why I have all those symptoms.

Today, I feel as I did during the time of the exam and the symptoms remain. Regarding the cough and my need to clear my throat; sometime when I eat for example crispbread, I can get a itchy feeling of crisps getting stuck in my throat for some time afterwards. Also, when I drink water I can feel how I need to swallow more than once to get it down. Occasionally, I can get the feeling of a sore throat and a lump in my throat, sometimes combined with some light pain or ache in the throat.

One morning last week I woke up with a really raspy and hoarse voice, which made me panic. The day before I had no trouble at all. Anyway, I got up, drank some water and started talking and after just a few minutes I had no hoarse voice any longer. I was a bit raspy a little longer, but that also disappeared. I have sometimes wondered if my voice doesn't sound different, but no one around me has never made any comments about me being hoarse or raspy.

My worst fears are ALS and MS, and I can't stop thinking about it. My neurological exam was fine and that should comfort me. I have one specific question to you; when I had the neurological exam done, I had so many of the above mentioned symptoms, yet the exam was fine. Do you have any idea if such an exam can be done "too early" so to speak, meaning that you are sick even though it doesn't yet show on an exam? Your views on this question and other thoughts will be appreciated.

Again, thanks for reading!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Kindly asking for your opinions about my symptoms.

Post by NHE »

Welcome to ThisIsMS.
Soulhunter wrote:In October, I went to a general practitioner at the local health centre. We discussed my symptoms and they ran some blood tests which all were fine. I had hoped they would find something on my thyroid, since that could explain a lot of my symptoms. So, after this visit I actually got more worried.
What tests were run? What were the results?
Soulhunter

Post by Soulhunter »

Thanks!

I called them afterwards and asked which tests were run. I don't remember them all, but I do remember that they mentioned testing for thyroid hormone, some vitamins, sedimentation rate and also taking my blood pressure. Anyway, all tests where fine.

I rather not visit the doctor so when I finally did I hoped that something should be wrong on those more basic blood tests, since that would rule something neurological out. Since it wasn't, my anxiety has just kept on going and because of that, despite the clean neurological exam, in my head I'm almost convinced it's something neurological. I know my body doesn't behave the way it used to.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hello if you have a copy of the nutritional results and can share details (incl units) we can advise re any issues that may have been missed via mainstream care.

for example on my last bloodwork almost everything came back normal. only one issue resulted in a heads up from the doctor's office. however if i had had that bloodwork done at the hospital as opposed to the neighbourhood lab, i would have had at a minimum one other nutrient red flagged as outright deficient.

my local doc is relatively new and probably doesn't realize the extent of this kind of issue for ms patients. we have a whole bunch of nutritional issues that can easily fly under the radar. science is only now getting around to addressing deficiency states within local or societal 'normal' or reference ranges.

it's in your best interests to ensure there is no hint of nutritional influence on the symptoms you experience. dietary preferences, general lifestyle and living environment all play a part. if you can share at least the nutrient test results on file, there may be some useful action items evident :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.