MS or Chronic Somatic Symptom Disorder?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
srouge23

MS or Chronic Somatic Symptom Disorder?

Post by srouge23 »

Hello everyone! I have been having a totally loss of body sensation since 2013, it started on my right side and also occasional weakness. Eventually, it spread over to my left side ( I have no loss in temperature, pain, or any motor issues) the feeling has gotten progressively worse over time with periods where the symptoms stay as they are. I have had countless blood tests, lower back ultra sound, brain MRI, nerve conduction study, and a recent full spine mri , all came back negative. My doctor doesnt know what it is, but she thinks it may be somatization disorder. But that doesnt seem right as my symptoms never get better. I'm honestly really worried that I will go paralyzed, and I am a hypochondriac which doesnt help my case at all... I also have recently had very flat vision like loss of depth ( to a degree ) but I can still drive and walk fine, and i still know how far certain objects are, they just look kinda flat. I also have starbursts/halos at night time which can make driving a little bit annoying. Currently the sensation is much worse on the right side ( loss of sensation ) yet I still have proprioception, and no motor symptoms at all. Any idea? I'm really scared, and I'm going to japan to teach kindergarten this coming May, which I am really excited for! I appreciate all the feedback I can get

All the best,

Sean
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MS or Chronic Somatic Symptom Disorder?

Post by jimmylegs »

hi sean :) welcome to TiMS. questions: what are some of the countless blood tests done, specifically? what's your diet and lifestyle like in general? has anyone referred you to a preventive health pro? registered professional dietitian for example?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
srouge23

Post by srouge23 »

jimmylegs wrote:hi sean :) welcome to TiMS. questions: what are some of the countless blood tests done, specifically? what's your diet and lifestyle like in general? has anyone referred you to a preventive health pro? registered professional dietitian for example?
Thanks for the reply! Complete blood count tests 3 of them, thyroid check, vitamin deficiency check, and recently got.another thyroid check and another complete blood count done. Recently my diet has been somewhat poor, and I havent seen any preventative care. Other than massage therapy, physiotherapy, chiropractic, and acupuncture. All of which have not helped my symptoms. Do you reccomend me seeing a dietitian?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi no probs!
can you share details re the vitamin checks and latest CBC?
i am not a pro of any kind (my friend with recent first hand xp of both tells me i'm better lol) but i am a researcher in a roughly parallel field, and i am a huge fan of adherence to evidence-based diet and lifestyle recommendations.
they may not be perfect, but most individuals are a long, long way from achieving even that benchmark. and without a referral to a relevant pro, how would you know? most of the blood tests aren't sensitive enough to pick up on the warning signs. you have to know when low normal = deficient, and so on.
until it's status quo for docs to refer to preventive practitioners, it's kind of on us to take the bull by the horns. can't hurt to ask, and there's all kinds of useful prep you can undertake before you sit down with that sort of expert.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Well, I'm going to take your doctors view head on as it isn't helpful. Somatization disorder just means there are multiple symptoms and they can't pinpoint them so it must just be all in your head. It is an illogical and discredited diagnosis. It's utter rubbish to conclude an illness starts as a psychological or mental issue and there is no physiological basis.

As an example, and this article is not that old, the author of this used decades old references to support an utterly useless view on MS and chose to ignore the evidence from modern medical diagnostics. https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/65898

Just because the testing has found nothing does not justify your doctor ignoring your complaints and telling you that it's your fault.

I suggest you go somewhere else. Do not make the mistake of thinking your doctor is the font of all knowledge.

Regards,