How to ask doctor to check for MS?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
beachgal

How to ask doctor to check for MS?

Post by beachgal »

I have an appt with neurology in January to do nerve testing in my hand for carpal tunnel - but I just recently learned what MS was and now would like them to be sure it's not that. How should I approach that with the doctor without seeming paranoid? I always hate going to the doc for that reason - a lot of the time I get a doc that likes to brush everything off. Anyway..
I have what I THINK and have always assumed was carpal tunnel in my hand, but it has gotten worse in the last month where my husband insisted on a doc visit which has resulted in a neurology referral for nerve testing.
It would go in waves of weeks it was fine, then weeks it was bad and each time it would get worse. Then more like good days and bad days. And now it has almost a constant tingle like feeling in all the finger tips. Lightening shooting like pains at night a lot of the time. Yesterday I started having random lightening running through the side of my hand into my pinky? I didn't think CT affected your pinky, but who knows.
I also have what I call 'mom brain', very forgetful and slow to think of words. Again - just call it mom brain after 4 kids lol.
Clumsy and get randomly dizzy.
Oh and recently diagnosed with overactive bladder, again.
There's other little things, but those are the major flags that I noticed are the same as the MS symptoms - so I'm hoping to bring it up to my neurologist without sounding paranoid.

If interested - I was reading a book last week and a lead character had MS. I'd heard of it, but didn't really know what it was so I looked it up.. and well here we are lol.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: How to ask doctor to check for MS?

Post by ElliotB »

Sorry you are not feeling well.

There are many, many diseases that mimic the symptoms of MS, and most diagnosed people do not get a MS diagnosis. Simple nutritional efficiencies and stress can often be the cause of many of the issues you describe.

But obviously something is going on with your health and you need to find out what it is and correct it.

Tell the doctor everything you mentioned in your posting (you described everything well) and let him/her figure it out for you. Please update us on the results of the appointment. Basic blood work if you have not already done so is probably a good idea at this time.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: How to ask doctor to check for MS?

Post by jimmylegs »

hi there :) there are many potential nutrient issues to watch for, with or without an ms diagnosis. if you had an ms diagnosis, it would be known which are most likely to be low. without it, we still know which nutrients tend to be low in the general population and which predispose us to an array of chronic illnesses (and all the while the standard bloodwork at the doctor's office keeps coming back reassuringly 'normal'). while you're wondering what the deal is, those suspect nutrients are the ones to work on hard, to ensure 'optimal' status (buh bye, normal). after building four entire separate human beings from scratch, your own nutrient resources *may* be due for a tune up. let me know if you would like me to link you up to other related mom type conversations posted here in the past. might well be some news you can use :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.

Return to “Undiagnosed”