how do i explain properly to a doctor whats going on

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
albiet
Getting to Know You...

how do i explain properly to a doctor whats going on

Post by albiet »

one thing i am not good at is talking to dr's. part of it is im not sure how to describe various symptoms.
this is the best i can say but if someone can help with what i write here or make comments i'd appreciate it.

my legs - intense internal vibrations / buzzing/tingling ,muscles feel tight

my arms -internal vibrations/ buzzing/tingling, muscles feel tight
tingling in right arm from neck down
my face - feel like muscles on tight , face near eyes feels swollen at times but doesnt look it. a few timesg pins and needles

burning into arms and back

hands shaking slightly at times when try to do certain things
slight teeth chattering
massive fatigue

these are hardest to describe:
- hands and feet feel semi numb when i wake up. (its not numb since i can feel it but dont know how to describe)
- legs and arms/hands have a strange feeling most of the day - its sort of electric/griping
- when sitting legs at time get a griping feeling

any help appreciated in putting this together
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: how do i explain properly to a doctor whats going on

Post by ElliotB »

You seem to be good at expressing yourself here. Print out what you wrote in your post, bring it to your appointment and then read it to your doctor.
albiet
Getting to Know You...

Post by albiet »

eliiot, thank you.

does "semi numb" sound like it makes sense?
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Telling what do you feel is more than ok. They are professionals and trained for such things. No need for stress :)
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi :) please do seek referral to a qualified preventive professional as well as moving forward on the diagnostic track.
many modern chronic illness are in large part the result of modifiable environment/behaviour factors.

although both preventive and diagnostic tracks are important, it's generally much easier to identify ways individuals are off track in terms of self care, than pinpoint how constellations of signs and symptoms might align with a particular diagnosis.

my 2c: do everything you can to get out in front of any day to day lifestyle/environment problems, and let the medical crew (as opposed to the public health pros) deal with the risk factors over which you *don't* have control.

even the most mainstream medical doc will know you want to avoid nutrient deficiencies in general. where ms is a concern, at this point the best known ones to watch out for include vit b12 and vit d3.

most docs tend to consider these two nutrients in isolation, and are accepting of low normal values when such levels can be associated with higher risk of health problems.

also, isolated nutrient tests are fine if that's all you can access, but when it comes to correcting any identified problems, corrective steps should emphasize both essential nutrients and cofactors (eg from whole food sources and as needed, high quality nutrient and supporting/interacting cofactor supplements). many docs are still prescribing isolated d3 to correct low levels and then wondering why patients' dose responses are poor.

one last thought re qualifications - dietitians where i am from emphasize, predictably, dietary approaches only. they help identify where tweaking might be needed to help a person achieve healthy daily intakes of essentials, while minimizing undesirable diet elements eg excess sodium etc. in contrast it's the doctors and pharmacists that provide useful contributions re testing and corrections via supplements. it's worth figuring out local nuances re who does what professionally, and reading up so that you can have an educated conversation with your health care provider(s). also since you're in the states, you can order test requisitions from a number of online providers.

hopefully something in all of that is helpful :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
albiet
Getting to Know You...

Post by albiet »

jimmy legs, thank you for the detailed explaination. I am still trying to fully understand it.
one question you say "also since you're in the states, you can order test requisitions from a number of online providers." what does that mean? which tests?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

no worries. at next visit to your regular family doc, consider:

1. asking for a referral to a preventive health pro such as a dietitian, specifically to make sure your day to day routine is not contributing to your risk of chronic disease.

2.asking for a lab requisition to test
a. serum 25-hydroxycholecalciferol (ie serum vit d3) and
b. serum cobalamin (ie serum vit b12),
at a minimum, to rule these out as contributors to your current symptoms.
there are other tests to consider, but as a starting point those two are your lowest hanging fruit.

next steps will depend on the outcomes from 1 and 2. at a minimum if you are successful with 2, consider obtaining your own copy of any test results so that you are aware of the fine details (do not settle for no news is good news, 'it's normal' or similar).

for an idea of where i am going with all of this, you could refer to:
viewtopic.php?p=247337#p247337
for some 'light reading' ;)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

albiet wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:10 pm jimmy legs, thank you for the detailed explaination. I am still trying to fully understand it.
one question you say "also since you're in the states, you can order test requisitions from a number of online providers." what does that mean? which tests?
Some companies offer direct to consumer lab tests, for example...

https://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins- ... lood-Tests

Return to “Undiagnosed”