Trigeminal neuralgia = MS?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Dololo

Trigeminal neuralgia = MS?

Post by Dololo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi. I'm not diagnosed, but have an enormous amount of symptoms. My question is about Trigeminal neuralgia (specific nerve pain in face). I've read a few places that this is rarely seen outside of MS.

I have suffered a lot of concerning symptoms for the last few years (after a viral infection) — tingling, pins&needles, numbness, burning feet, muscle and joint pain, fatigue, "electricity" in body, trembling, weakness, headache, "burning ribbons" in left leg and arm, cognitive issues, extremely clumsy, dropping things, balance problems, etc. etc. Most neuropathic symptoms are on the left side of my body, also the Trigeminal neuralgia.

Is having trigeminal neuralgia indicative of MS? What other diseases can cause trigeminal neuralgia, besides MS?

Zyklon
Family Elder

Re: Trigeminal neuralgia = MS?

Post by Zyklon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Welcome,

I kindly recommend you to visit a doctor.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 pm

Dololo wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:19 pm
Is having trigeminal neuralgia indicative of MS? What other diseases can cause trigeminal neuralgia, besides MS?
I don't know how common it is. I don't hear about it much and I've never experienced it. It's certainly not part of the diagnostic criteria for MS.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/For-P ... g-Criteria

Did you try searching through past posts?

search.php

Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:53 am

Hi,

TN is mainly attributed to either a viral cause or compression of a specific nerve. It is not easy to solve. Given all your other issues, I think you should see a neurologist. I wouldn't wait.

Regards,

Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:46 am

Hi Dololo

I am sorry to hear that you have TN. I was diagnosed with MS many years ago - the TN happened in 2014.

I am echoing what my fellow TiMS members have said above - please do go and see your doc and ask to see a neurologist.

Best wishes and let us know how you get on.
J

Dololo

Post by Dololo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks for your replies. I have seen a neurologist, he wanted me to do an MRI, but still trying to solve the issue of how to cover it (health insurance doesn't cover.)

I tried searching the forum, but didn't find any specific answers to this. I find my symptoms concerning, but I've had a few doctors claim it's "just depression" so I don't know what to think. When I read about the "face pain" actually having a name and being a symptom of MS I got curious if this is an indication that what I'm suffering from is indeed MS, or if TN can appear with other illnesses too.