The neurologist's tests

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Dololo
Getting to Know You...

The neurologist's tests

Post by Dololo »

I'm just wondering about all those tests a neurologist performs, like reflexes and point your finger to your nose, etc etc. Is it possible to have MS even if all those tests turn out normal?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: The neurologist's tests

Post by ElliotB »

Those tests are designed to be part of an evaluation process and ultimately the McDonald Criteria is what is generally used to validate a MS diagnosis. You can read about that criteria here:

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/ ... uidelines/

BUT a diagnosis of MS can be difficult to determine in some cases and although the McDonald criteria relies heavily on MRI results, a small percentage of those diagnosed with MS don't have lesions.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: The neurologist's tests

Post by NHE »

Dololo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:53 pm I'm just wondering about all those tests a neurologist performs, like reflexes and point your finger to your nose, etc etc. Is it possible to have MS even if all those tests turn out normal?
I used to pass a Romberg test with flying colors. I was stable for 2-3 minutes and then some. Not anymore.