Hi I’m new. Looking for some help

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
linc123

Hi I’m new. Looking for some help

Post by linc123 »

Okay here we go. I’ve been having a lot of issues lately and have been doing lots of research. A little about myself and the situation...here goes...I’m in my late twenties, a veteran, I work a full time job and go to school, and take care of my body pretty well. Now this started several years ago, about 2 years after I got out of the military. It started with extreme fatigue and weakness. It progressed for months to where I couldn’t get off the couch. I had numbness in my hands and feet, temperature sensitivity and chills, and just over all feeling like garbage. Then it went away. I was able to work out again and get back to my normal life. I went a year or so and started having some more weird symptoms but they were a lot less than the previous time and I got better faster. Now some symptoms are back, but they are a little different. I now have visual disturbances, buzzing in my ears(or head I don’t really know), some crawling sensations on my body, facial musical spasms(mostly in my mouth and cheeks), cog fog(memory issues, confusions with numbers, and some speech issues), terrible vertigo at times, and one of the most annoying ones is this strange smell. So I’m going to explain the cog fog a little because it’s super strange to me. I often forget things over and over and over again. I work on a computer and on the phone all day so I often have to look up things, but now I have to look up things like 3 or 4 times before it sticks. Also the speech thing is bad too. I work with people who are suicidal and have mental health problems so it’s really important for me to be understood. But now I can be talking and just slur off half of a sentence. It’s really noticeable but no matter how slow I make myself talk it doesn’t get any better. Same with number I struggle with writing down numbers and have to have them repeated several times because I write down random numbers that weren’t even mentioned. I would also like to explain this smell. I’ve been smelling this horrible smell for 3 weeks now. It’s made me so self conscious that I bathe twice a day brush my teeth constantly and wash my clothes with extra detergent. The strange thing is I don’t even know how to explain the smell. It’s just funky and gross. Oh and also one more strange one...random gagging. Sometimes I get this feeling in my throat and I just start gagging out of no where. Usually I can stop it with some water, but there has been a few times where I’ve vomited from it.
Anyways. I have been researching so I do know about vitamin deficiency and diet and have started taking some supplements. I do know that I’ve been known to have elevated liver enzymes, low sodium, low crea for the past couple of years. The first time this happened I was tested for several immune disorders which all came back negative and thyroid was good as well.
I must note that I was put on ADHD medication for the cognitive issues I was having a few years ago which do not even touch the cog fog I have now. I feel like I’m going crazy. So please if you have any suggestions let me know. I would love some input. Thanks in advance!
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Hi I’m new. Looking for some help

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I think you should go to a doctor and describe exactly what you have written. If other people smell you then a doctor should notice it. If only you smell it then perhaps you have an infection in a nasal cavity or sinus.
The slurring is something you should definitely raise and the sooner the better. There can be a number of causes behind that.
I wouldn't wait around. Just be sure you repeat what you've told us. Especially the slurring issue.
Regards,
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

linc123 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:46 pmI would also like to explain this smell. I’ve been smelling this horrible smell for 3 weeks now. It’s made me so self conscious that I bathe twice a day brush my teeth constantly and wash my clothes with extra detergent. The strange thing is I don’t even know how to explain the smell. It’s just funky and gross.
Have you been using any nose drops with zinc?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Welcome to TIMS!

"I often forget things over and over and over again."

I was that way all my life, but my memory improved dramatically within months after I starting a gluten free diet, about 5-6 years ago, shortly after I got my diagnosis. Have you considered trying a gluten free diet?

Some of my other symptoms from a MS attack also improved after my diet change but don't know if the improvement was related to my diet or just a remission. But I am pretty certain my memory improved because of the gluten free diet.
catmandu

Post by catmandu »

Hi! Newbie to newbie,

Agree w/the other posters. One thing you must do is get your active duty medical records. Then you will have them to look for any documentation of symptoms of MS while on active duty. Or whatever you may ultimately be diagnosed with. IDK what the time limit is to file for disability, but if you can prove that it's more likely than unlikely you had this while on active duty (that's the verbiage they want from a dr.), disability can be in the cards. PVA, Paralyzed Veterans of America, can help.

One reason for this is the time limit goes away if it's determined you had symptoms on active duty. Then it's deemed service connected.

Good Luck,

CMD (CatManDu)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

NHE wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:04 pm
linc123 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:46 pmI would also like to explain this smell. I’ve been smelling this horrible smell for 3 weeks now. It’s made me so self conscious that I bathe twice a day brush my teeth constantly and wash my clothes with extra detergent. The strange thing is I don’t even know how to explain the smell. It’s just funky and gross.
Have you been using any nose drops with zinc?
To elaborate, nasal sprays or drops with zinc should not be used. Zinc is toxic to the neurons making up the scent receptors. It will cause them to die off. Once the brain stops receiving sensory input from the scent receptors, it will start fabricating odors, some of which can be quite vile. Fortunately, the scent receptors will regenerate over time, but it can take a while.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-618-86188-0

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news ... ss-smell#1

It's also possible that you could have some issue that affects your olfactory bulb. That's a conversation best suited to have with a doctor such as a neurologist.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Have you gone to a doctor yet and told him what you have told us? I really urge you to do this.

Regards,

Return to “Undiagnosed”