Weakness in right arm but muscles are hard

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Jessica200131
Getting to Know You...

Weakness in right arm but muscles are hard

Post by Jessica200131 »

Hey
So just wondering if anyone else has weakeness in their right or left sides ... Specifically their arm and how it feels??
For me i have weakness in my right side... Especially my right arm and hand so wouldnt you think that you wouldnt have as much muscle ?? My arm is hard as a rock and looks like i weight lift seriously. My veins are all stuck out. And i have pain in my forearm and my hand.... Could this be ms related?? I will not find out if i have ms for sure until sept 4. My right arm just seems like i have my muscles tensed at all times.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Weakness in right arm but muscles are hard

Post by ElliotB »

I have weakness in my left leg and left arm, but my leg is worse, with pain in my right arm, hand and right side of my face including my right cheek and right eye.

I do a lot of exercise and it doesn't seem to help much. I have lost about 10% of the muscle mass in my left leg according to testing I did recently compared to the results of the same tests done a year earlier.

Good luck with the results from your MRI - hope the report is favorable and that you are feeling better soon.
Jessica200131
Getting to Know You...

Post by Jessica200131 »

Hey thanks for responding. Regarding blood results dont really have any. All the doctor told me was abnormal protein was found in spinal fluid and my 1st brain mri came back abnormal... Had another mri on aug 12th... Not sure why they do the second mri?? First mri took an hour but this one only 15 minutes.... My arm isnt quite as swollen this morning but its still hard.... Maybe muscle cramp in my arm that wont go away?? I ddefinently dont feel pain as bad on that side though ...
It just seems strange to me that i have barely any grip strength with my right hand and arm but yet my arm is muscular as hell lol. I dont get it at all... And sometimes my right hand goes very stiff .. Mainly my middle finger to pinky finger... I also know that not everything is related to ms so who knows. Will definently bring it up to the doctor.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Regarding the muscle tension, a magnesium glycinate supplement might help the muscles relax. I would try 400-500 mg of magnesium/day split into two doses. What does your doctor have to say about your arm?
Jessica200131
Getting to Know You...

Post by Jessica200131 »

I havent seen a doctor about it yet. I am wondering if its worth the time to get it seen to. But i am going to make an appt for next week hopefully and see what is going on :/ my muscles have been tense for weeks vut its only last couple days ive noticed its swollen in my forearm...
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

As you haven't been diagnosed yet, we are really jumping the gun. Nonetheless, if you have have tightness in the arm muscles and we assume a diagnosis is confirmed, the simplest way to look at why you've tightened is to imagine you have only two motor neurons. The first one runs from way up in your brain to your spine and the second one runs from your spine to your arm muscles. (in reality, there are many neurons at work ). Both use the same neurotransmitter (aceytlcholine) to pass signals but the first is also influenced by a moderating neurotransmitter (GABA) that can dampen the signalling. This makes the first neutron act like an on/off switch whilst the second is always on. If you have a lesion on the first motor neuron your on/off signal is damaged and the second motor neuron just keeps telling muscles to tighten without respite. There are other signalling circuits that reinforce this without passing a signal back to the brain like a reflex action.
What you need to do is focus on the second motor neuron as you can't change the first. The second is triggering a muscle action called excitation/contraction coupling. This involves calcium stores within the muscle cell being released. Magnesium will help block this, aiding relaxation. There are more powerful agents but you don't need that yet.
A tight arm can be a problem as its a very big and complex limb. You should think of it as starting at the shoulder blade and include the muscles coming down from your neck. Trigger point massage and dry needling can help release tightness at these points and that should provide some relief further down the arm. If you get some relief from this then you can focus on rebuilding function. Don't rest the arm. Do something with it or it will lock in a position. This doesn't have to be complex or physically demanding.

Regards,
Jessica200131
Getting to Know You...

Post by Jessica200131 »

Thanks for replies!! I have just been diagnosed with ms today. I told the doctor about my arm first and he did some tests and said its caused by my brain and i had new lesions on my 2nd mri. I start medication next tuesday or at least go talk about it from what i can remember.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Jessica200131 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:47 am Thanks for replies!! I have just been diagnosed with ms today. I told the doctor about my arm first and he did some tests and said its caused by my brain and i had new lesions on my 2nd mri. I start medication next tuesday or at least go talk about it from what i can remember.
I'm sorry to read this news. Which medication is your doctor recommending?
Jessica200131
Getting to Know You...

Post by Jessica200131 »

He didnt say. He just told me next week to go to his office to talk about it or start it. I dont know much about it so definently need more information. I am worried about side effects :/
Relieved i have an answer finally.. Had optic neuritus last april so i can finally stop wondering.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Jessica200131 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:36 am He didnt say. He just told me next week to go to his office to talk about it or start it. I dont know much about it so definently need more information. I am worried about side effects :/
Relieved i have an answer finally.. Had optic neuritus last april so i can finally stop wondering.
Well, there's no hurry. When I was diagnosed in '99 I took a month or two to read through the medical literature and learn about MS and the medications l before I chose one. There were only 3 or 4 then. There are many more now. We have forums for each of the meds where you can find relevant discussion and each med's prescribing information.

You may also want to watch Matt Embry's documentary film Living Proof for an additional approach to treating MS.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30103&p=253065#p253065

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30860

Return to “Undiagnosed”