Worried and confusion regarding MRI results

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
MsShawna

Worried and confusion regarding MRI results

Post by MsShawna »

Can anyone help me interpret my confusing MRI results?

Impression
Punctate hyperintense foci in the right posterior frontal lobe periventricular margin and in the
posterior body portion of corpus callosum along the septal callosal margin. Differential
consideration is that of atypical demyelination, changes from chronic migraine or areas of gliosis
from chronic microvascular insult. Further clinical correlation with patient's symptoms and need
for CSF evaluation should be determined clinically.

I am looking for opinions. I am following up on Monday with my neurologist.

Thanks!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Worried and confusion regarding MRI results

Post by NHE »

Welcome to ThisIMS Shawna,
MsShawna wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:19 pm Can anyone help me interpret my confusing MRI results?

Impression
Punctate hyperintense foci in the right posterior frontal lobe periventricular margin and in the
posterior body portion of corpus callosum along the septal callosal margin. Differential
consideration is that of atypical demyelination, changes from chronic migraine or areas of gliosis
from chronic microvascular insult. Further clinical correlation with patient's symptoms and need
for CSF evaluation should be determined clinically.

I am looking for opinions. I am following up on Monday with my neurologist.

Thanks!
It sounds like you have some lesions present that indicate demyelination and could potentially be associated with MS. However, your neurologist will have to evaluate the radiologist's report along with your symptoms and other test results to arrive at a diagnosis.

By the way, do you know if you've been tested for vitamin B12 deficiency? This is the most common mimic of MS symptoms (including lesions seen on MRI).

"Punctate hyperintense foci" This means you have distinct spots of demyelination forming lesions as opposed to diffuse areas of demyelination.

"periventricular" This means that the lesions are located next to the ventricles in the brain which is a common pattern for MS though it is not exclusive to MS.

"CSF evaluation" The radiologist is recommending a spinal tap be performed. This is commonly done in MS diagnosis to look for various oligolclonal bands. These are proteins which indicate the presence of inflammation, e.g,. immunoglobulin G (IgG) which is a type of antibody.
MsShawna

Post by MsShawna »

Thanks for the response. I am speaking with my neurologist tomorrow. I have not been tested for a B12 deficiency. That is a good lead to follow. It makes a little more sense.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

MsShawna wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:21 pm Thanks for the response. I am speaking with my neurologist tomorrow. I have not been tested for a B12 deficiency. That is a good lead to follow. It makes a little more sense.
It's best to have vitamin B12 between 500-1000 pg/mL. Here's a discussion topic focused on B12 that you may wish to read for more information.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24857

In addition, the book "Could It Be B12? An epidemic of misdiagnoses" by Sally Pacholok and Jeffrey Stuart is an excellent reference. Your local library may have a copy available or you can get it through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-Epi ... 884995691/