Biogen wins U.S. approval of long acting MS drug

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Plegridy
MSUK
Family Elder

Biogen wins U.S. approval of long acting MS drug

Post by MSUK »

U.S. health regulators on Friday approved Biogen Idec Inc’s Plegridy, a long-acting multiple sclerosis drug that the company expects will eventually replace its older big-selling Avonex treatment..... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/plegridy
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
Avonexveteran

Re: Biogen wins U.S. approval of long acting MS drug

Post by Avonexveteran »

Plegridy is a good option especially for those that have have trouble with the intramuscular injections. I read that it is, like Avonex, interferon beta-1a, but only taken every other week and is a subcutaneous injection. Maybe side effects would be less since it is only every other week.

I don't think I would change to Plegridy. I don't mind the intramuscular injections and don't have any side effects.

Actually, I kind of hope Plegridy doesn't replace Avonex. For me its not worth it.
Been taking Avonex since June 96
For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...
SchroedingersCat

Re: Biogen wins U.S. approval of long acting MS drug

Post by SchroedingersCat »

Had a Neuro appointment today and went to discuss starting Aubagio.

Did Rebif for 7 years and just cant take it anymore. The constant needles and site problems were driving me crazy. Tried Tecfidera and had an allergic reaction.

Instead of Aubagio, he convinced me to try Plegridy. He always treats aggressively and didnt want me to take Aubagio, which he feels is too weak.

Having an injection every 2 weeks instead of 3 times a week should be no problem, so I agreed to it

Now if only the Insurance Company will cover it. If they dont, I will end up on Aubagio anyway.