Did you know biotin was patented for stroke, too?

Biotin is an emerging therapy for the treatment of secondary progressive MS.
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Re: Did you know biotin was patented for stroke, too?

Post by ThisIsMA »

1eye said:
Could it be that modern antibiotics are killing off the same gut bacteria that provide natural B7 and that modern MS is somehow related to a vitamin B7 deficiency caused by excessive antibiotic use?
Really interesting question. Possibly related to that: have you read how artificial sugar consumption may be really messing with normal gut bacteria and was found to be associated with obesity and metabolic disorder and diabetes in some susceptible people? I just wonder if artificial sweeteners consumption could also be a factor in poor Biotin absorption:

Here is an article from Scientific American on artificial sweeteners, gut bacteria, and disease:

Artificial Sweeteners May Have Despicable Impacts on Gut Microbes
By Sheena Faherty | November 26, 2014 |

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/gue ... -microbes/
But the take home point is this: findings from two independent studies suggest that messing with the microbiome may have despicable consequences. Artificial sweeteners were originally intended to stave off the increasing obesity and metabolic disease epidemic, but instead they may have directly contributed to it.
I also wonder if diets like the Wahls protocol might work at least in part because they boost Biotin and probably other beneficial micronutrients not necessarily even discovered yet...

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional, just a curious person with MS reading and sharing information from the web and guessing about what it might mean...
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

ElliotB wrote:here is a source for bulk pure biotin in the USA:

http://purebulk.com/biotin-pure/

Here is a source for a capsule machine:

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/The-Capsul ... istianmama

I have not tried either and am not associated with t either company. I just found both of them on the web by doing a Google search.
MedDay will be privately held for the foreseeable future. Maybe PureBulk will go public?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Skip Lenz (Skips Pharmacy -Florida) a reputable compounding pharmacy used by many MSErs to get their LDN, has just notified that he has located a source for the same Biotin used in the trial. Skip will be running assay tests on his shipment and then will report back. Stay tuned :-)
Sharon
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Skip Lenz (Skips Pharmacy -Florida) a reputable compounding pharmacy used by many MSErs to get their LDN, has just notified that he has located a source for the same Biotin used in the trial. Skip will be running assay tests on his shipment and then will report back. Stay tuned :-)
This pharmacy is the same one that has helped many with MS in the past and popularized the use of neutral fillers like cellulose for LDN. But what makes him think it is "the same Biotin used in the trial"? The MedDay trial in France? What makes it different from any other biotin? That it is American? I bet a lot of what you can buy on the Inertnet comes from China, is labelled as American, and is just as good, indistinguishable from some "made in USA". It's probably easy to synthesize too. Maybe I should go into the biotin business...

More facts aboit biotin: in case you thought the Nazi holocaust didn't result in the thinning of the gene pool, the modern industrial synthesis of Biotin was invented by a man named Leo Sternbach, who was also the inventor of Valium. From Wikipedia:
Sternbach's uncle, Leon Sternbach, the brother of Sternbach's father Michael, was a professor of classical philology at Jagiellonian University. He was murdered in 1940 in the Nazi Sachsenhausen concentration camp as the result of the Nazi action against Polish academic teachers called Sonderaktion Krakau. His killer was Gustav Sorge."
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

1eye asked:
But what makes him think it is "the same Biotin used in the trial"? The MedDay trial in France? What makes it different from any other biotin? That it is American?
In answer to the question: Skip has identified the source supplier of the Biotin used in the trial. He is having a shipment of the raw Biotin overnighted - upon receiving he will assay test. I am waiting for Skip to get this all figured out -- it took him over two weeks to find the source. I trust his expertise and am choosing to ignore all the "noise" on the Internet. Much of it is conjecture, assumptions, copying and pasting and linking to Biotin capsules, taking 30 tablets of OTC Biotin that has fillers --

Be smart and be safe.
Sharon
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

When will Biotin graduate to its own forum? Poisonally, I think it's potentially the greatest discovery in the last, say, century. But then I am biased...
Not a doctor.