300 mg Biotin tablets available in United States

Biotin is an emerging therapy for the treatment of secondary progressive MS.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: 300 mg Biotin tablets available in United States

Post by CureOrBust »

You may be able to access Biotin in bulk without a prescription, but I do not think you will get it disensed as 100mg tablets without a prescription.
DrGeoff
Family Elder

Post by DrGeoff »

It might be interesting to ask a compounding pharmacist how much they would charge to make tablets, or fill capsules, if you provide the Biotin in a sealed pack from a reputable supplier.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

as part of the question, it would also be, if the would be prepared to provide you such a high dose, way and above the RDI, of unprescribed vitamin.
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

Thanks for the information everyone

-c
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

I found these 100 mg capsule:

High Dose Biotin 100mg | Johnson Compounding & Wellness
http://shop.naturalcompounder.com/produ ... ose-biotin

90 100mg capsules for $120. S
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Hi,

I see no FAQ there.
Is it pharmaceutical grade?
etc...
What does it worth???

BR
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

It is not pharmaceutical grade - it contains rice flour and titanium dioxide.

And is very expensive!
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

ElliotB wrote:It is not pharmaceutical grade - it contains rice flour and titanium dioxide.
And is very expensive!
Simply because Rice Flour is used in compounding the capsules, does not mean the Biotin is not "pharmaceutical grade". I have had a few other specific pharmaceuticals compounded, and they have always used a filler. Normally Avicel for Quick release, or calcium carbonate for slower release.

A quick search and I found that the following compounder uses Rice Flour by choice for dosing out Naltrexone for LDN; and the Naltrexone is obviously "pharmaceutical grade"
http://www.ldnresearchtrust.org/content ... -australia
d) Filler is usually rice flour unless a special request is made. Rice
filler suits celiac patients or most patients with chemical sensitivities.
The questionable thing for me is that they have not specified which of the 8 types of Biotin they are selling at this high price.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

By definition, pharmaceutical grade means that the product must be in excess of 99% purity with no binders, fillers, excipients, dyes, or unknown substances.

Adding anything to pharmaceutical grade biotin means it is no longer pharmaceutical grade.

This brand also contains Titanium Dioxide, which is classified as possibly being carcinogenic to humans:

https://www.ccohs.ca/headlines/text186.html

"Those taking Biotin in high doses should only take pharmaceutical grade.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

ElliotB wrote:By definition, pharmaceutical grade means that the product must be in excess of 99% purity with no binders, fillers, excipients, dyes, or unknown substances.
The tablets as a whole may not be considered "pharmaceutical grade biotin" by the dictionary definition, however, the actual Biotin within the tablets could be "pharmaceutical grade". Nearly all pharmaceuticals will contain some binders or fillers its the active ingredients that count and the ratio to the fillers that should be a source of concern. One of the manufactured medications that I use has only 3% active ingredient (street versions are 40-97% puree; too bad the other 3% is probably arsenic). This is "pharmaceutical grade" active ingredient, the other 97% is "pharmaceutical grade" fillers and binders. The manufacturers of medications nearly always use these. Even injections are usually buffered using saline.
ElliotB wrote:Adding anything to pharmaceutical grade biotin means it is no longer pharmaceutical grade.
But the 100mg Biotin itself IS (may be) "pharmaceutical grade". How do you swallow your tablets? if you use a glass of water, then the biotin dose is no longer "pharmaceutical grade" by your simplistic view / definition. The statement is simply argumentative.
ElliotB wrote:This brand also contains Titanium Dioxide, which is classified as possibly being carcinogenic to humans:
So are all the pollutants in the air we breath, its a matter of weighing up the good and the bad and is also a completely different discussion. I personally have numerous tablets with these or similar fillers. These fillers are "considered" reasonably safe and are widely used. The dose will be considerably less than neutraceutricals.
ElliotB wrote:"Those taking Biotin in high doses should only take pharmaceutical grade.
Again, it IS probably "pharmaceutical grade" and the ratio between fillers and active ingredient will be MUCH higher than the standard 10000mcg neutraceutricals.
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

Does anyone know where it can be obtained in Europe? Were/are there any side effects to high dosing? I've only had the one MS event almost 3 years ago and take lots of things, but this seems promising as protection against the onset of progressive MS..
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

I know 2 different sources from EU:

1-Biotin from Bayer:
http://www.pharmavie.fr/media/catalog/p ... 9274_1.jpg

You can get it from any pharmacy but:
1) It's very expensive
2) There are lots of additive agents in this med (I had side effects, very important shivering and vision trouble)

However the benefits from it are real (at least for me), my neuro was surprised after seeing my improvements.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2- Biotin from Alfa (Germany)
https://www.alfa.com/fr/catalog/A14207/

They claim their biotin to be 98% pure.
However:
1) You can not get it unless you buy it through a company
2)The price is also expensive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Curently, I am taking biotin from US:
http://purebulk.com/biotin-pure/

They deliver in EU easily and it's cheaper than the 2 previous mentioned biotins.
They claim the biotin to be 100% pure but I personaly don't believe them.

However:
1)It's much less efficient regarding symptom improvements than Bayer and Alpha
2)Buying this powder may need you to also buy additional tools like an accurate balance, empty caps etc...
blindeye

Post by blindeye »

Hello everybody,
im a desperate person in Czech republic who is suffering from severe optic neuropathy with demyelinization. Im looking for a help with getting the pharmaceuticcal grade biotin powder (i cabbot affird tablets for hundreds of dollars, as im nearly helpless and unable to work) , as it is unavailable in Europe. though i dont have MS, i want ot try it anyway. it is one of my last hopes... im going bling. Id reware any help. Anyone able ane willing to help me buying sending that powder to my country?
thanks everyone.... im dying with horror, but still trying.... my email address is mlz.salonu@gmail.com. It wouldnt go withhout a reward.
sarah859

Post by sarah859 »

Hi I have been taking 300mg Biotin for 6 months now and feel really good. Lots more energy. I buy mine in caps from http://www.multiplesupplements.com they have several options of Biotin - Straight or with other essential MS vitamins. I take the MS complex 1 cap 4 times a day. They say they ship worldwide and look by far the cheapest I have seen for a months supply.
Good luck Sarah