Can you make your own?

Biotin is an emerging therapy for the treatment of secondary progressive MS.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Can you make your own?

Post by notasperfectasyou »

We called Skips. They want $200 for a one month supply, 90ct 100mg capsules. There are a number of posts about buying the powder in bulk, but no one discusses how to make capsules. So, I'm posting what I have come up with and hoping a few of you might find other sources and check my math.

This link explains the volumes of various capsules:
http://pskills.pharm.ku.edu/phar520/dos ... psules.pdf
the volume of capsule 5 is .13ml

this link provides the density of Biotin:
http://www.guidechem.com/dictionary/en/58-85-5.html
the density is 1.267g/cm3 (1267mg/1.0ml)

based on this I'm thinking 2 #5 capsules would be about 300mg/day. What do you think? Ken

5/20/2016: additional information:

After doing all that calculating and research, it actually worked out that 300mg was FOUR #5 capsules a day, not two. I'm getting ready to reorder a new 100g bag, and I'm also going to order a #3 capsule maker so that Kim (hopefully) will only need to take 2 a day and the capsules will (hopefully) be easier to make.
Last edited by notasperfectasyou on Fri May 20, 2016 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Can you make your own?

Post by NHE »

notasperfectasyou wrote:based on this I'm thinking 2 #5 capsules would be about 300mg/day. What do you think? Ken
You could always verify your assumptions with a good scale. For example, weigh 20 capsules or so in a tared container to get an average weight of a capsule. Next, fill some capsules. Again weigh several in a tared container. You can then calculate the average weight of the contents of the capsules. However, note that the weight will vary with how firmly you pack the capsules. With practice, you should be able to get fairly consistent weights. Another thing to consider is the dosage. I think that splitting up the biotin intake into 3 doses helps to maintain a more consistent level as the stuff gets cleared out of the body.

By the way, it's good to see you back on the forums!
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

NHE wrote:
notasperfectasyou wrote:based on this I'm thinking 2 #5 capsules would be about 300mg/day. What do you think? Ken
You could always verify your assumptions with a good scale. For example, weigh 20 capsules or so in a tared container to get an average weight of a capsule. Next, fill some capsules. Again weigh several in a tared container. You can they calculate the average weight of the contents of the capsules. However, note that the weight will vary with how firmly you pack the capsules. With practice, you should be able to get fairly consistent weights. Another thing to consider is the dosage. I think that splitting up the biotin intake into 3 doses helps to maintain a more consistent level as the stuff gets cleared out of the body.

By the way, it's good to see you back on the forums!
Yes, you are right, I could by a small pocket scale, but I also value the exchange of ideas and group verification that we do here so well. I'm also adding (but not linking) that I've found a capsule maker on Ebay that will make #5 size capsules. Just search for "capsule machine".

Thanks for the welcome. I do miss being here. In a nutshell, I'm pulled in many directions and it's very hard to participate the way I did in the past. Can anyone tell me how Robbie is doing?

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

notasperfectasyou wrote:Thanks for the welcome. I do miss being here. In a nutshell, I'm pulled in many directions and it's very hard to participate the way I did in the past. Can anyone tell me how Robbie is doing?
I haven't seen a post from Robbie in 4 years.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Biotin is tasteless, water soluble and is fast and easy to take with a small amount of water. Capsules, while convenient, are not absolutely necessary. A years supply of bulk pharmaceutical grade Biotin is under $200.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Update:

We got the pharma-grade Biotin. I got a #5 capsule maker and capsules. Made nearly 400 capsules today. It's a little tedious and the first hundred was very frustrating. But, got the hang of it, sort of. I can get the #5 capsule to about 70-80 mg, not the 150mg I was expecting. So Kim will take 4 a day. She's going to take 150 twice a day. If that works, I'll get the #3 size when I run out of supplies. Hopefully the larger size will be easier to work with. I think I can get the #3 to be about 150mg if I don't tamper the powder so much. The Biotin is a water soluble vitamin so measuring doesn't need to be so exact. Ken

PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Good Video. I used this capsule maker for medicinal cannabis. It's cheap and easy, even fun. Buy it on Amazon. Someone said about someone said above that a number five capsule holds 150mg, so 2/day. Can someone send me a link to the best pharmaceutical grade biotin available online.

Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

PointsNorth wrote:Good Video. I used this capsule maker for medicinal cannabis. It's cheap and easy, even fun. Buy it on Amazon.
I bought this type, as I thought that putting on the end caps on the other one looked a little cumbersome. I went with a machine like the following.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Help. How do you get 300 mg of 1% biotin to measure out into milliliter capsule??

PN
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

PointsNorth wrote:Help. How do you get 300 mg of 1% biotin to measure out into milliliter capsule??

PN
Yikes! Don't use 1%! You'll be taking a ton (99%) of filler. Use PURE biotin.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

OK. Using pure biotin.

I want to spread the 3 mg over 2-3 capsules. I just need to to know how many ml milliliters (volume) that 3 milligrams of pure biotin takes up in ml so I can choose a gelcap size/machine to use.

Thx, PN
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

PointsNorth, you need to get a milligram scale and measure out 100 milligrams to get your answer. Scales are inexpensive, many under $30 on Amazon and eBay.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Here are the 4 things I bought:
1) #5 capsule machine on ebay for $95 from skssteve
2) AWS ZEO-50 Milligram Scale Laboratory Balance 50g x 0.001g American Weigh on Amazon for $40
3) Empty Hard Gelatin Capsule Size 5 (Tiny), 1000/bag on Amazon for $37
4) 100g bag of pure biotin from bulksupplements.com for $190

Watching Kim walk up the stairs tonight, alternating steps like non-disabled people do - Priceless.

Putting post here: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/antibioti ... 5-165.html

oceanbreeze

Post by oceanbreeze »

Hi all,
I don't make capsules but just measure 100 mg on my scale and then sprinkle on food three tomes a day. I don't mind the taste, just a little chalky.
BTW, anyone buying bulk, there is a sale now on Biotin Pure at Bulk Supplements.com. Every little bit helps, right?

OceanBreeze
Anunymouse
Family Member

Post by Anunymouse »

Enter PROLINE as a coupon code, 10% off and 5-7 day shipping is free. That makes about a years worth of 300g doses for about $170, so about $.50/day. Along with a 500g digital scale from ebay for 5.28, 2 water bottles (1 for work and the 2nd when you get home) coupled with some squeeze flavoring and it's a fairly inexpensive route to try the therapy. And I should be drinking more water and less soda at work anyway :)

Return to “Biotin (Qizenday, Cerenday, MD1003)”