which biotin?

Biotin is an emerging therapy for the treatment of secondary progressive MS.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: which biotin?

Post by CureOrBust »

ElliotB wrote:Not to split hairs but if it has a filler, it is not pharmaceutical grade.
This appears to be a very good deal for high dose capsules for those taking capsules!
Virtually if not ALL pharmaceuticals have "fillers"; as soon as you place it in a capsule, the capsule itself could be considered a "filler". Anyone who understands the process of converting a chemical product (such as Biotin) into a pharmaceutical product for human consumption will understand the many reason a "filler" is used. As soon as you place the "pharmaceutical grade" Biotin in your mouth it will be diluted with saliva and/or digestive juices of the stomach (and anything else you consumed prior), thereby effectively adding a "filler", in an uncontrolled manner.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Cure, Pharmaceutical Grade simply means that whatever is inside the capsule is 100% (or very close to 100%) pure. If the contents are mixed with any filler prior to encapsulation, it is no longer a Pharmaceutical Grade product - this does not mean it is a 'bad' product, just that it is not 'pure' or 'Pharmaceutical Grade'.

Like many supplements, Biotin is one that does not require and is readily available without fillers. Since I learned about issues with certain fillers I do my best to purchase and consume supplements that do not have any fillers. Since Biotin is readily available without fillers, it only makes sense to consume it without any. But you and others are obviously free to choose to consume fillers if you so desire.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

ElliotB wrote:Cure, Pharmaceutical Grade simply means that whatever is inside the capsule is 100% (or very close to 100%) pure. If the contents are mixed with any filler prior to encapsulation, it is no longer a Pharmaceutical Grade product - this does not mean it is a 'bad' product, just that it is not 'pure' or 'Pharmaceutical Grade'.

Like many supplements, Biotin is one that does not require and is readily available without fillers. Since I learned about issues with certain fillers I do my best to purchase and consume supplements that do not have any fillers. Since Biotin is readily available without fillers, it only makes sense to consume it without any. But you and others are obviously free to choose to consume fillers if you so desire.
a "product" includes both the actual medication and the filler. You are implicating that anything with fillers is no longer Pharmaceutical. It just very misleading. I take Ritalin to help me exercise. The dose is 5mg yet the tablet is 20mg (from memory, I think the percentage is even less). Hence, it is only 25% pure Methylphenidate. And yet, this would definitely be considered by all as a Pharmaceutical grade 5mg Methylphenidate tablet. And similarly a single tablet containing 100mg Biotin and say 200mg fillers would also still be accepted as 100mg Pharmaceutical Biotin. From memory it was you who mixes your Biotin powder with water and then take that. Well, under your definition, YOU are no longer taking "Pharmaceutical Grade" biotin, as you have just mixed it with a water filler. And if you live somewhere like Sydney, you will also be adding Fluoride and Chlorine to boot along with any other contaminates that leeched out of the pipes between the reservoir and your tap.

No-one is saying that we should try and get as many fillers as possible, however, just because a MEDICATION has "fillers" does not mean the MEDICATION is no longer "Pharmaceutical". The tablet can be 100mg Pharmaceutical Grade Biotin while the contents may not explicitly measure up to a "Pharmaceutical grade" biotin, as the fillers dilute it. The fillers are REQUIRED for accurate distribution and transport. No-one is breaking the tablets up and trying to extract the biotin, your digestive system does this task for you. Check any of your meds with an actual digital scale and you will be surprised how little the medication actually makes up of the total.
sarah859

Post by sarah859 »

Hi Family Elder - Yes the fog has lifted is me! I suppose a small MS world! I'm not afraid of sharing my MS status so am pretty out there with it. Great product I have been lucky enough to have found it early on and have had 6 fab months of taking it. Alan the founder of the company has MS too if you read the infor on his website. Nice for me to deal with a NZ company and having it manufactured in NZ gives me peace of mind on what I am taking. Alot of my MS friends in NZ and Aus take the product from Multiplesupplements too.
Have you tried yet?
alantabs

Post by alantabs »

All biotins are not created equal. There are 8 different isomers (4 of which are biologically active-to different levels).
If you are buying a powder, purity is also very variable. Always ask for a CoA. Certificate of Analysis.
Pharma grade is anything over 97.5% pure. MedDay claim to have used greater than 99% in their trials???
On the CoA there is also a measure usually called Specific Rotation. You want this to be as highly positive as possible (indicates highest bio-availability).