side effects?

Biotin is an emerging therapy for the treatment of secondary progressive MS.
zen2010
Family Elder

side effects?

Post by zen2010 »

Hi,

Just a question for those who are taking 300 mg/day from pure bulk:

Have you noticed any increase regarding shivering?

I did notice more shivering. I am wondering whether it's the biotin side effect or just the evolution of this sh.. disease.

Thxs
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: side effects?

Post by CureOrBust »

No. I have noticed no side effects, but we are in Summer right now, so the temperature is generally pretty warm.
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

Have not noticed any extra shivering as I'm always cold anyway but since starting the Biotin last Sept., have had 2 minor colds and now have another one! Before Sept. can't remember last when I had a cold as I'm not a sickly person and never have been. Anyone else getting anything after starting Biotin?
alantabs

Post by alantabs »

Not shivering but and increase in leg spasticity (seems a fairly commonly reported on the facebook group (biotin for progressive MS).
I've been on a High strength biotin multi-vitamin for nearly a year. Helps with most symptoms except spasticity in legs. But I take some magnesium supplement that negates that.
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

alantabs wrote: increase in leg spasticity
I also had strong leg spasticity after waking up but I was taking an other brand of biotin at that time (I guess stronger than Pure Bulk).

This spasticity was then slowly decreasing in the morning.

Are you taking about Pure Bulk biotin in your post?

If not, which one?

thx
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

zen2010 wrote:I guess stronger than Pure Bulk
hat do you mean by "stronger" considering they sell it as >99% pure?
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Well, they (Pure Bulk people) can say their biotin is 99.99999% pure if they want.

I know people (Including myself)who have also tried Alfa or/and Cerenday, and the results are much better regarding symptoms improvement.

People who have tried Alfa, Pure Bulk and Cerenday (it's possible to get it in France by entering the final protocole phase) noticed this "leg spasticity" increase in the morning, however it disapeared with Pure Bulk.

Pure bulk is not the real deal.
guarnaccia

Post by guarnaccia »

We have have not seen shivering as a side effect of high dose biotin capsules in people using our product, Biotin 100 mg. Our recommendation is to take 100 mg per day and increase to 100 mg three times a day. Biotin is poorly soluble in water so if you are taking in powder form, the absorption might be erratic.

Sincerely,

Joseph Guarnaccia, MD
cervocuit
Family Elder

Post by cervocuit »

This is my leg after 2,5 month on Cerenday.

In the notification, they say that hypersensitivity reaction on the skin has been reported with some compounds of Cerenday, which are 100 mg of biotine and (in French) :
Lactose monohydraté, croscarmellose sodique, silice coloidale anhydre, stéarate de magnésium, hypromellose (E464), dioxyde de titane (E171), oxyde de fer (E172), bleu FD&C N°1 (E133)

It started to appear after 1 month and it has become a bit larger, and more dry by the time.
Hopefully it’s not on my face.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

cervocuit wrote:Image
This is my leg after 2,5 month on Cerenday.

In the notification, they say that hypersensitivity reaction on the skin has been reported with some compounds of Cerenday, which are 100 mg of biotine and (in French) :
Lactose monohydraté, croscarmellose sodique, silice coloidale anhydre, stéarate de magnésium, hypromellose (E464), dioxyde de titane (E171), oxyde de fer (E172), bleu FD&C N°1 (E133)

It started to appear after 1 month and it has become a bit larger, and more dry by the time.
Hopefully it’s not on my face.
The other ingredients in English: Lactose monohydrate, croscarmellose sodium, colloidal anhydrous silica, magnesium stearate, hypromellose (E464), titanium dioxide (E171), iron oxide (E172), FD & C Blue No. 1 (E133)

It might be best to consult with a doctor.
cervocuit
Family Elder

Post by cervocuit »

cervocuit wrote:It might be best to consult with a doctor.
Of coursse i've showed this to the neurologist. She has taken a picture and said she will report that and talk to her dermatologist colleague, and call me back if it was serious. She hasn't call me back yet.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

The only side effect of biotin my wife has seen is slight skin rash. Another question - it appears lipoic acid may be another supplement that looks very promising for PPMS. It appears to have some of the same beneficial actions as biotin. I wonder if taking them both is a good idea, or might they conflict with each other?
sargologo

Post by sargologo »

Use Aura Glow from baar.com to counter spacticity
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

I am taking Biotin from Bulk Supplements since September/2015 and have not noticed any improvements nor side effects. Have mentioned that I have had 3 colds close together but maybe I was just a little run down?? Unusual but who knows. Maybe it's time to switch??

This Biotin is soluble in water. My chiropractor said Biotin was soluble before I started taking it.
DrGeoff
Family Elder

Post by DrGeoff »

So far. i have not noticed any unusual shivering.
What I am interested in it the several reports of leg spasticity.
For me, this takes the form of both legs going into hyperextension - mainly in the morning before getting up - for a few seconds at a time. I have also had a few instances of my left leg (the useless one with the dropped foot) bending quite sharply at the knee (something I lost the ability to do for myself 3+ years ago).
My Neuro and MS Nurse are not interested in the spasticity, and both have been told that I take Biotin.
Does anyone else have the hyperextension problem?

A couple of months off Biotin made no difference. - http://www.gnh1.blogspot.co.uk/

Geoff