Has this treatment been abandoned?

Biotin is an emerging therapy for the treatment of secondary progressive MS.
daniel
Family Elder

Has this treatment been abandoned?

Post by daniel »

Doesn’t seem to be any updates in this forum. I’m personally still taking my daily 3x100mg biotin dose and I was just wondering if I’m missing some news...
Zyklon
Family Elder

Re: Has this treatment been abandoned?

Post by Zyklon »

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/news/news-ab ... -licensing

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/ ... tin_en.pdf
The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has been examining data on high dose biotin (MD1003, Qizenday) since the application was accepted in September 2016. At a meeting last week, the EMA's Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) concluded that the clinical data from two trials that enrolled 253 patients was not sufficient (link is external) to assess the effectiveness or the safety of biotin.
Still has the potential with larger and better clinical trials.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"Doesn’t seem to be any updates in this forum."

There really are no updates at this time and have not been any developments for a couple of years. There never really was and there is still no conclusive evidence that this treatment really works.

Medday is currently in the middle of a Phase 3 trial. The trial is currently active in 90 sites worldwide — 48 in the U.S. and Canada, 39 in Europe, and three in Australia. MedDay expects first results to be available in early 2020. We will just have to wait patiently until they announce the results next year. Here is some info about it:

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/ ... announces/

I still take it as well and plan to continue taking it regardless of the findings of the trial. I had been taking it in lower doses for a few years prior to their announcement and of course increased the dosage according to their recommendations. Biotin is an important nutrient for numerous reasons and it is a good supplement to take.
Anunymouse
Family Member

Post by Anunymouse »

I believe medday fishing. They thought they had a moneymaker and it turned out to be a dud.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I agree. I still take it and will continue to. Biotin offers numerous health benefits!