Multiple Sclerosis Testimonials (Coimbra Protocol)

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Success Stories w/ MRI exam

Post by CureOrBust »

AntonioBR wrote:Why would it mistrust the protocol?
The images as presented would imply the assumption that they are progression/improvement over time on the treatment (ie to show the benefits of the treatment/protocol). However, they are from the same date. When someone makes one statement that is misleading, it will garner mistrust of all their future and prior statements.
AntonioBR wrote:Yes, it's true. All the images have been taken on the same day (Aug 20, 2015).
On TIMS you present the protocol and as such, if anything you say appears misleading in anyway, that will reflect onto the protocol itself. For example, advertisers will use loved personalities that the "people" trust to present their products to the general population. If that personality is caught out lying or doing anything underhanded, they will be dropped from the advertising.
AntonioBR wrote:The photos above aren't from the same day. They have a year apart.
I am guessing you are now talking about the last set of images. Further confusing the matter and appearing to contradict what you say simply makes the issue worse. I find it really confusing how you yourself question the validity of MRI for measuring the treatments effects, and yet you started this thread and similar threads on MRI results on multiple forums (ie not just here on TIMS)
AntonioBR wrote:Then, how you analyse a ''true'' improvement on patient's condition if both self-reported and MRI exams aren't the best approach?
I am no doctor, however, most medical treatments are analysed based on the effects of a population, not the individual. As for the individual (which would only be valid for that one individual), the MRI can be used (brain shrinkage is possible parameter). I actually do not know MRI measurements well enough, someone else may like to chime in. But I do know that my neurologist can comment if my MRI shows worsening even though I have no enhancing lesions. So it is possible.

Outside of an MRI, there are other measurements such as EDSS etc but a BIG thing for me personally on believing any improvements for a treatment outside of a full trial protocol, is rater blinded. This method/technique I think would bring a considerably more validity to the results without adding significant costs.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

ElliotB wrote:Many of the studies we read about are done over relatively short periods of time (meaning just a few months or years) and IMHO really don't provide reliable data. I believe that many of those with RRMS live symtom free for many years at a time regardless of what they do. I know someone who was diagnosed over 10 years ago, does absolutely nothing to treat herself and has lived basically symptom free for almost the entire time.
I think the method they they use to "compress" the need for time and the variability for an individual is the use of large populations ie many trial participants, and the use of statistical methods. Hence, knowing "someone" who is symptom free for 10 years will simply fade into the group as a blip, which would reduce the confidence interval, but not necessarily invalidate the complete trial.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

AntonioBR wrote:The photos above aren't from the same day. They have a year apart.
I am guessing you are now talking about the last set of images. Further confusing the matter and appearing to contradict what you say simply makes the issue worse. I find it really confusing how you yourself question the validity of MRI for measuring the treatments effects, and yet you started this thread and similar threads on MRI results on multiple forums (ie not just here on TIMS)

Hi Cure,

Probably you already know it. When I said that all the images have been taken on the same day (Aug 20, 2015). I meant only about these MRI photos: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... ml#p239582

If both self-reported and MRIs exams are poor to get a conclusion. So it isn't a specific problem with this protocol. With Dr Whelton protocol (antibiotics), LDN, CSVI, Natural Approach, etc. we also have the same problem. There are a lot of self-reported and some short periods studies.

I am no doctor, however, most medical treatments are analysed based on the effects of a population, not the individual. As for the individual (which would only be valid for that one individual), the MRI can be used (brain shrinkage is possible parameter). I actually do not know MRI measurements well enough, someone else may like to chime in. But I do know that my neurologist can comment if my MRI shows worsening even though I have no enhancing lesions. So it is possible.

To identify MS doctors use exams + self-reported symptoms.

And to measure patient's condition, they also use exams (MRIs) + self-reported symptoms/improvements.

It's true that only individual self-reported data is a poor evidence.

But, it's important to remember that doctors still don't know what is the cause of MS. They also don't know what is the best treatment and how to measure patients improvements (as MRI and self-reported aren't 100%).

MS is a complex disease.

So, till now self-reported + exams are the only thing that the majority of people have.

I will search about EDSS - thank you!
Last edited by AntonioBR on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
vilnietis
Family Member

Post by vilnietis »

First idea, which came to my mind is how drug effectiveness is measured? I think by doing MRI before/after trial and comparing the results. Most of us will come to common conclusion that this is not the best approach.
What about grey matter volumes? Do protocol doctors measure changes in grey matter volumes? Do trials with drugs measure that? I read the volume of grey matter can be computed easily. Don't know the technique, but after one more year I will need to think about how to measure the progress. Grey matter could be the main indicator or not?
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

vilnietis wrote:First idea, which came to my mind is how drug effectiveness is measured? I think by doing MRI before/after trial and comparing the results. Most of us will come to common conclusion that this is not the best approach.
What about grey matter volumes? Do protocol doctors measure changes in grey matter volumes? Do trials with drugs measure that? I read the volume of grey matter can be computed easily. Don't know the technique, but after one more year I will need to think about how to measure the progress. Grey matter could be the main indicator or not?

Good question vilnietis,

I will look into it.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

-
-

Last edited by AntonioBR on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Re: Multiple Sclerosis Testimonials (Coimbra Protocol)

Post by AntonioBR »

-
Giuliano Testimonial Image
This is Giuliano Guarini, who has multiple sclerosis and has been following the Coimbra Protocol for four years. He just shared this with the Brazilian group.

1600 km on a bike! Here I am, getting my medal as a finalist in the harshest and most extreme long distance cycling race in Europe: 1001 miles.

I raced 6 days and 6 nights, without intermission. I slept one hour per night, in temperatures that varied between 8 - 36 degrees Celsius. I crossed five Italian provinces, in all kinds of terrain and vegetation. To date, only 15 Brazilians, in the history of this race, have managed to complete this challenge.

And ... I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis four years ago.
I've never used conventional medications or corticosteroids.
My single treatment is the protocol with high doses of Vitamin D.

I hope my posts help doubters of this treatment to make their decision!

To see his original post:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Esclero ... ratamento/
Last edited by AntonioBR on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

José Cláudio Testimonial
– In 1992 José Cláudio presented diplopia. Certainly, it was the first symptom of his disease.

- In the following years he had spurts of tingling numbness in the torso and left arm. However, the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis was only consolidated in 1999.

- In the year 2000 he began the treatment with injections of interferon (day in/day out).

- 13 years later (in 2013) injections of Interferons have been replaced by Gilenya tablets.

-The side effects of conventional treatment undermined the his "quality of life" and, despite taking all medicines regularly, he was losing important physiological functions.

– Jose Claudio decided to try a new therapy and on 3 June 2016, we started the treatment with vitamin D Protocol.

- Just 12 days after he started the Coimbra Protocol he sent us a video to show some basic improvements.

– After four months* José Claudio returned to Campinas to the second appointment and he recorded his testimonial.

*(When the vitamin D achieve its maximum effect/potency in the body (this usually occurs after 8 or 12 months) the improvements will be even more significant.)

Watch this video to check how his gait has improved:

Before: https://youtu.be/F5Ea2MjekK8?t=13

After: https://youtu.be/F5Ea2MjekK8?t=270

http://www.vitaminadmedicinaesaude.com. ... la/page/2/
Last edited by AntonioBR on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

Ricardo Testimonial
At the beginning of the disease in August, 2016, Ricardo always needed to hold on objects to not fall and he always had to use a cane.

After 4 weeks following the Coimbra Protocol he no longer needed to hold on objects.

And after only 3 months* he could walk without using a cane.

*(When the vitamin D achieve its maximum effect/potency in the body (this usually occurs after 8 or 12 months) the improvements will be even more significant.)

Watch this video to check how his gait has improved:

Before: https://youtu.be/X_r3CtyEBvE

After (3 months): https://youtu.be/X_r3CtyEBvE?t=145
Last edited by AntonioBR on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

- Juliana Testimonial

(Secondary-Progressive MS [SPMS])

Juliana was only 10 years old when she began to lose strength in her legs and suffer frequent falls.

Four years later she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and, since then, she has been accompanied by the Neurology University of Ribeirão Preto.

During 12 years she was medicated with Interferon, for 2 years she took azathioprine and for 6 years she makes regular use of Copaxone.

In December 2015 she came to our clinic in Campinas to try the treatment with vitamin D Protocol and, despite the diagnosis of Secondary-Progressive MS with 25 years of evolution, in just 4 months of treatment she introduced significant improvements: regained control of sphincters, improved gait, balance and mainly she is feeling more happy and good-natured.

"If Juliana had opted for the treatment with vitamin D a few years, certainly, her evolution would have been quite different."

http://www.vitaminadmedicinaesaude.com. ... ogressiva/
Last edited by AntonioBR on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

- Gloria Testimonial Image Gloria Flores is an American patient who has been on the Coimbra Protocol for 4 months. She has just posted this in the group "Vitamin D Protocol North America" and has authorized us to share it here with you."

"4 months on the VitaminD with lots of improvement and no relapse. I have now started practicing yoga again. I was not able to get into these positions with yoga or move certain ways with out discomfort and fatigue. I had the first clinical relapse at the end of April, diagnosed in May of this year. I really felt like I was going down hill quickly. I suspect that I've had MS for at least 10 years.

My symptoms were always mistaken for psychological issues until this 1st relapse that left me fatigued, weak, unable to walk for more than 5 minutes without running out of breath, nerve pain, numbness from left toes to the torso, insomnia, couldn't eat, digestive issues, dizziness...and strange shocks on my head/brain/skull??? There was also constant burning and tingling in several areas from face to toes, legs etc. I could not grocery shop or even carry my purse without feeling tired during the initial relapse and remained that way for almost 2 months. I couldn't straighten the left leg when laying down. I had joint pain and my legs were always restless. I was scared to death that I would continue to go down hill. I was working out up to 2 hours daily and eating healthy paleo type diet for the previous 2years before this happen. I knew my body and I knew that I had to act quickly. I will say that I had suffered from depression, anxiety and bouts of fatigue since my teenage years. I had unhealthy diet, habits and lived stressed out up until about 30. I'm sure its all connected some how.

I am happy to report that all symptoms are gone except for some light tingling. The left side is stronger. The fatigue has improved to about 80%. I won't worry now that I have the VitaminD. I will only keep improving. Best wishes to everyone ❤ #progress #gloriafloresprogress #Faith I'm grateful for this 2nd chance at life."

To see her original post:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/vitamin ... 419662512/
Last edited by AntonioBR on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

- Monica Testimonial

This is Monica Thorheim, from Norway. She has multiple sclerosis and has been on the Coimbra Protocol for four years. Here's her testimonial:

"It was an optic nerve inflammation in 2012 that led to my diagnosis of MS.

This was the start of something I never thought was possible. I experienced being blind in one eye and I had one big flashing red light on the other eye. It was so scary to think that I no longer had control of my body.

I started with Copaxone and put needles in myself every day. After about 14 days, I was suddenly struck by a fatigue I had never known before. The smallest chores made me bedridden. Fatigue became my everyday life. I felt lost in MS.
I was happy the day I could start on Gilenya (tablets) instead of the injections.

I also began to feel some nerve pain, numbness and spasticity in the body. I had a scary feeling of not knowing my body anymore.This led to desperation. I googled and read everything I came across about the disease online. I joined a group on Facebook and quickly came into contact with a lady who embarked on a treatment with very high doses of vitamin D, The Coimbra protocol. So I read everything about the treatment and decided to book an appointment at the clinic of Dr. Christina Sales in Portugal.

Dr Sales was a wonderful lady who took good care of me and introduced me to a different kind of treatment of my MS. Large doses of vitamin D was my new medicine.

Today, Dr. Damas has taken over the treatment and the clinic. Dr. Sales unfortunately passed away from cancer ❤

The improvement came gradually as the dose increased from 10,000 to 80,000 IU. After about 6 months, it dawned on me that the worst fatigue was over.

Today I live a normal life with my little family. I work as a medical secretary and I work out at the gym several times a week. I still use Gilenya, but strongly considering quitting when I feel that I have such a good effect of treatment with vitamin D.
I have no symptoms of MS anymore, and no developments on the MRI."

https://www.facebook.com/coimbraprotoco ... 25/?type=3
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Antonio, these testimonials as well as the others you have posted are very impressive but until at least a few true scientific studies are completed, there is no way of knowing for sure the worthiness of this protocol.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

ElliotB wrote:Antonio, these testimonials as well as the others you have posted are very impressive but until at least a few true scientific studies are completed, there is no way of knowing for sure the worthiness of this protocol.

Hello Elliot,

Yes, you are right. I agree.

This protocol as most of the treatments described here on TIMS need more scientific studies to support them.

They have already published a (little) study for vitiligo and psoriasis. But, not for MS.

So far, testimonials are the only information that we have.

The average placebo effect is close to 33%, though it can range lower and higher. The Coimbra Protocol data for MS exceeds easily this number. However, it is not considered a scientific study. In fact, not even close. There are a lot of more things to be considered.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

- Sonia Pannunzi Testimonial Image

This is Sonia Pannunzi, who has had MS for 22 years and for the past 3 years was wheelchair bound.

She is from Italy and she has just shared this post with the Italian and North American groups on facebook. She started the Coimbra Protocol 7 months ago.

Fortunately, she can walk again.

-
To see her results, watch this video:https://www.facebook.com/coimbraprotoco ... 953904846/
Last edited by AntonioBR on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.