Coimbra Protocol Summary

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
TeresaL
Family Member

Re: Coimbra’s Protocol Summary

Post by TeresaL »

I had MS for 26 yrs before starting D protocol, so I have more damage than you. Haven't had any testing since starting D.
Milliecats

Post by Milliecats »

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

Can anyone help me!!

I was diagnosed with rm ms in Jan 2016, but know I have had it since at least 2008. My man symptoms are leg weakness and pins and needles.

I leant about the Coimbra protocol immediately and went to Portugal to meet a Dr there. I've been on it for 3.5 months. BUT this is the thing, I feel worse. I have headaches and dizziness and generally feel unwell. My bloods and urine checks are fine and of course I have been following the protocol to the letter. It worries me as I feel this is my only hope and I really want to continue on it. But I just feel really unwell and it's had to function to the point where I think I may have to stop it.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Thank you
Lionel
Family Member

Post by Lionel »

Milliecats wrote:Hi, I'm new to this forum.

Can anyone help me!!

I was diagnosed with rm ms in Jan 2016, but know I have had it since at least 2008. My man symptoms are leg weakness and pins and needles.

I leant about the Coimbra protocol immediately and went to Portugal to meet a Dr there. I've been on it for 3.5 months. BUT this is the thing, I feel worse. I have headaches and dizziness and generally feel unwell. My bloods and urine checks are fine and of course I have been following the protocol to the letter. It worries me as I feel this is my only hope and I really want to continue on it. But I just feel really unwell and it's had to function to the point where I think I may have to stop it.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Thank you

Milliecats,

I am also following Coimbra Protocol and I don't have any side effects.

I have some questions for you.

- How much Vitamin D do you take?

- About your PTH level. What is your level now after 3 months?

- Do you take your vitamin D in the morning or at night?

- About your vitamin D, Is it produced by a pharmacy compounding or do you bought it from some brand?

- The dizziness and headaches started just at the beginning of the protocol?

- What your doctor said about these side effects?
HUD45
Family Member

Post by HUD45 »

Hi Milliecats,

I have been on the Coimbra protocol since Feb. '16. I read your post and it seems I am having similar symptoms as you. I have PPMS and have been having brutal fatigue, numbness, pins and needles....PAIN! It really sucks.

I am doing a good job of following the protocol and tomorrow I am heading to the clinic for another round of tests to monitor things as scheduled.

It's a big week for me because I have been having similar thoughts as you as far as staying on the protocol. Like you, I want to stick with it because it gives me hope and maybe a chance at stabilization. On the other hand, I can't help but think that I may feel better without the high dose D.

I will keep you posted after test results from tomorrow's lab visit.

Thanks for the post....HUD
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

HUD45 wrote:Hi Milliecats,

I have been on the Coimbra protocol since Feb. '16. I read your post and it seems I am having similar symptoms as you. I have PPMS and have been having brutal fatigue, numbness, pins and needles....PAIN! It really sucks.

I am doing a good job of following the protocol and tomorrow I am heading to the clinic for another round of tests to monitor things as scheduled.

It's a big week for me because I have been having similar thoughts as you as far as staying on the protocol. Like you, I want to stick with it because it gives me hope and maybe a chance at stabilization. On the other hand, I can't help but think that I may feel better without the high dose D.

I will keep you posted after test results from tomorrow's lab visit.

Thanks for the post....HUD

Hi HUD,

I didn't know that you have been having so many side effects.

Do you think that is only because of the protocol that you are having these side effects or because of MS? Or both?

Thanks

Milliecats,

Lionel asked some good questions. If you could answer it would be great.
Last edited by AntonioBR on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUD45
Family Member

Post by HUD45 »

Hi Antonio...

I wish I could answer your question accurately. I am really having a tough go lately. Every day seems a touch worse. I have a feeling it is just the MS process but I wonder if the Hi D is partially responsible. Still waiting for my test results.
Would really low PTH cause exacerbation?

Could the LDN be responsible at all?

Does your brother take any magnesium supplement?

I'll keep you posted after I get labs....

HUD
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

HUD45 wrote:Hi Antonio...

I wish I could answer your question accurately. I am really having a tough go lately. Every day seems a touch worse. I have a feeling it is just the MS process but I wonder if the Hi D is partially responsible. Still waiting for my test results.
Would really low PTH cause exacerbation?

Could the LDN be responsible at all?

Does your brother take any magnesium supplement?

I'll keep you posted after I get labs....

HUD

Hi HUD,

Second, my brother's doctor low PTH levels can cause: fatigue, nausea, dizziness, etc. However, it's difficult to analyse without a proper exam especially for MS patient because the disease also has closer symptoms.

Moreover, high doses of vitamin D is also associated with dizziness, nausea and kindney pain (if you don't drink 2~3 liters of water). Although, most of people only feels nausea.

My brother had an excellent response with LDN. He felt more energetic and his legs improved. But, his doctor said that at the beginning for some people the symptoms of MS could become worst (for some weeks)... then after some adaptation the opposite happens, people start to get better slowly (it did not happen with my brother - he hadn't any side effect at the beggining). If you read the LDN treatment sections here on TIMS you will notice that this short worst condition often happens with some people.

Yes, he takes the Coimbra Complex of Vitamins & Minerals. It has 100 milligrams of magnesium aspartate per capsule. And he takes 3 capsules per day: 300mg of magnesium.

The complex has:
- Zinc: 5 milligrams
- Choline 120 milligrams
- Magnesium Aspartate: 100 milligrams
- Riboflavine: 60 milligrams
- Folic Acid: 3 milligrams
- Vitamin B12: 5 micrograms
- Chromium Picolinate: 250 micrograms
- Selenium: 100 micrograms
HUD45
Family Member

Post by HUD45 »

Just a reminder for those Coimbra protocol followers.... I had been putting chia seed in my green smoothies. Just realized there is quite a bit of calcium in chia....About 8% daily recommendation per Tbsp. OOPS! no more chia.....

HUD
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Post by mrtmeo »

I found this link with lots of answers to questions regarding the Coimbra protocol
http://vitamind3protocol.blogspot.com/2 ... q.html?m=1
Mother was on Rituximab and prednisone for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
Drs denied her dialysis and appropriate treatment for her MPA and forced her into hospice.
She is in heaven and free from pain.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

This blog is very good.

When I was reading it I remembered that I needed to update the supplementation area.

The author has mentioned Omega 3 instead of DHA 500. They have different ranges of EPA/DHA. Second Coimbra DHA is more important than EPA. However, 3g of omega 3 is a good dose.

CoQ10 is a good supplement but it is optional in the protocol.

Magnesium is no longer 400mg but 1000mg (split in 2 pills [500mg] or 4 pills [250mg]).

Vitamin B2 is no longer 240mg (60mg x 4 pills) but 200mg-400mg (4 pills of 50-100 milligrams). It may vary.

It is important to remember that supplementation can vary depending on the patient's case. If you compare supplementation between some patients you will find some changes.
Last edited by AntonioBR on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Antonio, thanks for the additional info.

Another question, regarding PTH level. If you are not at the optimum level (I believe you said around 12), how do you adjust it? (I am not sure if I read/understood what you wrote correctly, but do you increase your intake of D to reduce the PTH level?)

Also, how much DHA is recommended on a daily basis?
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

ElliotB wrote:Antonio, thanks for the additional info.

Another question, regarding PTH level. If you are not at the optimum level (I believe you said around 12), how do you adjust it? (I am not sure if I read/understood what you wrote correctly, but do you increase your intake of D to reduce the PTH level?)

Also, how much DHA is recommended on a daily basis?
PTH around 12pg/mL was the PTH lower level of my brother many months ago.

First, you need to check the references of PTH that your lab uses. This can vary from lab to lab.

For example, many months ago my brother's lab used 11.0 pg/mL (minimum range) to 65.0 pg/mL (maximum range) as PTH ranges. But, now they are using 7.50 to 53.50 pg/mL.

Which means that my brother needs to maintain his PTH next to 7.50 pg/mL (low level) to stop the disease progression. Each 2-3 month the doctor order new exams to have certainty that his PTH level is keeping at this low level. Takes time to reach this level.

And yes, you need to increase your dose of vitamin D3 until you lower your PTH levels to this range.

However, your calcium intake also plays an important role in the PTH. Thereby, a low-calcium diet is necessary to prevent hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria and to decrease the calcium influence on PTH. A super low calcium intake is also wrong, so this needs to be avoided. Your Coimbra Doctor will help you in this process.

On average, doctors prescribe 2,000mg of DHA per day (4 softgels). However, it can vary.

Remember that supplementation can vary depending on the patient's case. This Protocol requires the guidance and monitoring by a physician with specific training to analyze each particular case.
Lionel
Family Member

Post by Lionel »

- Magnesium chloride or glycinate: 250 milligrams
- Riboflavin: 50-100 mg milligrams

4 pills per day.
So, as a new recommendation, should I take 1,000mg of magnesium and 400mg of Riboflavin per day?
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

Lionel wrote:So, as a new recommendation, should I take 1,000mg of magnesium and 400mg of Riboflavin per day?

No. Remeber that supplementation can vary depending on the patient's case. Your Coimbra Protocol Doctor will direct you on dosages based on lab test results.

Some months ago Coimbra has increased the magnesium intake. The old recommendation was between 250mg and 400mg. Now, it can vary between 500mg and 1,000mg.

The same happened with Riboflavin (vitamin B2). It varied between 150mg 180mg and now the recommendation varies between 200mg and 400mg.

Bottom Line: the higher is your vitamin D dose (and PTH) more magnesium and (especially) vitamin B2 you will need. Stressed people also need more magnesium.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

This is something that Dr. Coimbra´s patients have been hearing from him for the past 10 years:

Stressful Environment Triggers Inflammatory Cells Linked to Autoimmune Diseases Like MS, Study Shows

A stressful microenvironment, characterized by low metabolites and low oxygen levels, triggers the generation of immune cells directly implicated in a variety of inflammatory diseases, such as multiple sclerosis (MS).

The study, “Cellular Stress in the Context of an Inflammatory Environment Supports TGF-β-Independent T Helper-17 Differentiation,” was published in the journal Cell Reports.

Immune cells are vital players defending our organism not only against pathogens but also by doing surveillance and cleanup of harmful cells, such as cancer cells. T-cells, a type of white blood cell, are part of our immune system army and their function is tightly regulated by factors present in their microenvironment.

T-cells can be recast into different cell subtypes, such as Th17 cells, so that tailored immune responses are set in motion. The activation and differentiation of these cells when unregulated, however, can contribute to the development of autoimmune diseases, including MS.

How alterations in the local environment influences the transformation of T-cells into Th17 cells has been poorly understood.

Now, a team of researchers at the Instituto de Medicina Molecular (iMM) in Lisbon, Portugal, tackled this question and showed that a stressful environment, characterized by low levels of oxygen and shortage of metabolites, such as glucose, enhances the generation of Th17 cells.

Researchers used both stress inducers and pharmacological stress inhibitors and observed that while stress inducers enhanced the development of Th17 cells, inhibiting stress reduced their development.

Using an MS mouse model — the experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) model — researchers observed that administering mice with stress inhibitors significantly delays the onset of signs of EAE when compared to control mice.

Overall, the results suggest that “adverse metabolic environments during inflammation provide a link between adaptive immunity and inflammation and may represent a risk factor for the development of chronic inflammatory conditions by facilitating Th17 cell differentiation,” the team concluded in their study.

Marc Veldhoen, the study’s lead author and group leader at iMM, said to Multiple Sclerosis News Today, “Our study shows that those white blood cells actively involved in autoimmune disorders such as MS and arthritis, Th17 cells, are preferentially generated in situations where cells experience stress. This stress can be due to reduced availability of energy, such as in the form of low oxygen or sugar levels.”

“Targeting cellular stress pathways may provide an opportunity to reduce the generation of cells contributing to disease, thereby alleviating disease symptoms and patient suffering. In addition, it could provide insights into the circumstances in which disease may recur, the largely unknown environmental triggers, thereby reducing disease relapses,” Veldhoen concluded.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/ ... -diseases/

Return to “Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol”