Coimbra Protocol Summary

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
HUD45
Family Member

Re: Coimbra’s Protocol Summary

Post by HUD45 »

I can't figure the banana thing either. I am following the protocol though and they are out. About 5 mg calcium per banana is not much to speak of but there are other fruits on the tree. I wonder if it is the potassium content? 425 mg HUD
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

Revolit wrote:Does anyone know why it is recommended to cut down on banana? What's wrong with banana? It does not have high calcium. And I've read it on multiple posts that it is not recommended to eat bananas. (At least not more then 1-2 a week).
TeresaL wrote:Bananas...I asked Dr Sanja about eating bananas on the D protocol. She didn't know the reason for this exclusion either. She thought eating bananas would be ok. I maybe eat one per wk.

Second my brother's doctor Coimbra is very precautious about calcium intake.

You can eat banana but in moderation.

Check below a list of foods.

The first chart/list (on the left) are the foods that are forbidden. All related with Diary and calcium.

The chart/list in the middle are foods that can be consumed in moderation.

And the last chart/list contains foods that can be consumed freely.

Unfortunately, it's in Portuguese only, but you can translate with Bing or Google translator.

Just my opinion: there are foods that are rich in calcium (much more than banana) that wasn't mentioned like kale, Raw Spinach, Sardines, etc. So, this list only gives an idea of some foods.

Revolit
Getting to Know You...

Post by Revolit »

Is it possible that someone with MS requires a much lower dose of Vit D to maintain an optimal PTH level and high 25-OH D?
My test just came back. I've been taking ~14.000 IU daily (I am 75 kg so my reference is about 75.000IU vitD) and my PTH level is 18.6 pg/mL in the 12-65 range, which is considered optimal according to Dr. Coimbra.
My 25-OH D is 262.80 nmol/L.

I did not take test before taking vitD as there is no support from Doctors to this protocol in my country, so I have to pay for all the test, which is quite expensive :(
vilnietis
Family Member

Post by vilnietis »

Revolit, your PTH is still too high. PTH should be at lowest value within normal range in ideal case. But if MS is active that means PTH must be lowered even more.
I must keep PTH at 8-9 pg/mL for example. At least my doctor is happy to see PTH there. Track down all the symptoms as well. Symptoms indicates if disease is still active. If you have more advanced MS stage or not RRMS, it will be harder to understand yours MS activity. You should look at your energy levels, fatigue and similar symptoms then. Also try to analyze if you are progressing or not in the longer run. I know it sounds very vaguely, but it is like that. A lot of beginners are asking "what is my vitamin D dose?", but the real answer is "it depends on age, weight, MS type and etc".
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

Yes, your PTH is too high. It took me 6 mins to get my PTH levels to low normal range. I am very resistance.
I am 110lbs, now taking 120,000iu per day. I get blood tests every 6 Wks. Insurance pays.
I recently had 23andme.com test that showed I have the VDR gene problem which means I need more D than the norm. I know PN Has the same gene results.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Revolit,

Given your weight why are you only taking 14K IU?

PN
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

I am taking 120,000 iu per day..typo
You are doing a great job on this site w the D info

I am not feeling well...doing the goat serum shots..feeling better then did my monthly IVIG The combo was too much
Plus I am still dealing w how bladder infection and herpes crap. Now dealing w hyper thyroid January the NP gave me a T3/T4 combo. Causing fast heart rate, breathing stuff. Going back to synthroid tomorrow
, had no problems. Health docs always think T3/T4 is always better....ugh. This has happened 2x in 20 yrs...no more!
Revolit
Getting to Know You...

Post by Revolit »

Thank you all for the quick reply!

So I will go higher on vitD then :) To reach lower limit, or even go below, as my MS is currently active.
My reference about how much should be PTH is from Dr. Coimbra's video transcript found here:
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Video+by+Dr ... April+2014
It says:

"60:27 Another laboratory can say that for them the normal range is 12 to 65 pg / ml.
60:41 So, the question on the level below 20
60:46 is for people who use a lab that says the normal range of assessment is 12 to 65.
60:51 It therefore must be of between 20 and 12."

PointsNorth: I know I should be taking more, I just wanted to get my initial test, but as soon as I read about this protocol I started taking vitD on higher dose, and until I didn't get a clearer picture, and find out where I can get my levels checked, I didn't really wanted to go higher then the safe 10.000IU.
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

I am not a doctor but I think it would be a safe bet to say you are resistance to D. That is why you/I/all of us have MS.
A person gets 10,000 iu per day in sunlight. I stated w 40,000iu, slowly increasing. It took 6 mos to get low PTH levels.
If the person were "normal" there would be a concern re PTH. My husband w /asthma is taking 20,000iu per day w no problems. His asthma and allergies are better. Usually w the pollen load now would be giving him more problems. And he has been going to the tanning beds for 5 yrs (wkly) When I first started and worked up to 60,000 I had a attack because my PTH was still high.
Swisher21

Post by Swisher21 »

How long were you on 60,000iu for before you no longer had symptoms Teresa? Are you well now without medications?
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

Gosh ....I only got my PTH level to low normal December 2015! I have has MS for 26 yrs. I know it doesn't work that fast......being real.
Columbo

Post by Columbo »

AntonioBR wrote:
Revolit wrote:Does anyone know why it is recommended to cut down on banana? What's wrong with banana? It does not have high calcium. And I've read it on multiple posts that it is not recommended to eat bananas. (At least not more then 1-2 a week).
TeresaL wrote:Bananas...I asked Dr Sanja about eating bananas on the D protocol. She didn't know the reason for this exclusion either. She thought eating bananas would be ok. I maybe eat one per wk.

Second my brother's doctor Coimbra is very precautious about calcium intake.

You can eat banana but in moderation.

Check below a list of foods.

The first chart/list (on the left) are the foods that are forbidden. All related with Diary and calcium.

The chart/list in the middle are foods that can be consumed in moderation.

And the last chart/list contains foods that can be consumed freely.

Unfortunately, it's in Portuguese only, but you can translate with Bing or Google translator.

Just my opinion: there are foods that are rich in calcium (much more than banana) that wasn't mentioned like kale, Raw Spinach, Sardines, etc. So, this list only gives an idea of some foods.

I found an old email that said to be cautious with bananas: "One more thing, try to moderate banana intake, it is not recommended to anyone as it is nephrotoxic. Avoid nephrotoxic medication at all costs, these are anti-inflammatories. They will concentrate calcium in your body, (sorry I cannot explain what they do exactly), but whenever I need to take them, the recommendation from Dr Cicero is to drink 3 liters of water."
Columbo

Post by Columbo »

As regards to calcium intake I know they recommend no dairy but what about calcium from bone-in fish? I eat a lot of sardines (whole fish, includes bones) as well as canned salmon (includes bones). Should this be avoided because of the calcium content in the fish bones?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

The calcium aspect is interesting as according to the summary posted about the protocol, high doses of Vitamin D3 can deplete bones of calcium. Vitamin K was recommended to help combat this loss yet was reported to be ineffective.

Also the use of DMDs with this protocol was not recommended.
Last edited by ElliotB on Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

Bone/calcium
This is why Dr Ciscero uses fosamax for this problem. I recently started fosamax because I have osteoporosis ( which my mother has also). I am 56 and was dx w osteopenia 7-8 yrs ago. Also had partial hysterectomy at 25. Dr Sanja told me recently that one of her MS/High dose patient had a reversal of osteoporosis.

Return to “Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol”