Coimbra Protocol Summary

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Re: Coimbra’s Protocol Summary

Post by AntonioBR »

For those that miss dairy foods.

Rice Milk and Sweet Potato Cheese are some substitutes.

Note: Industrialized Vegan food often has calcium added to it. So the natural/organic version is better recommended.

Homemade Rice Milk:

Recipe: http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2013/09/d ... ce-milk-2/

Sweet Potato Cheese:

TeeBenergy

Post by TeeBenergy »

Hi folks,

Here's a translated version of the Restricted Foods List that was shared is a previous post.

hth,
Taps

DX'd Early 2009
Dieted, CCSVI'd (twice), Stented, Currently Vitamin D'ing...
More sig coming soon (listing symptoms and stuff)...
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

Excellent post Taps!

Thank you!

I'm going to add this Restricted Foods List in the first post (Coimbra Summary).
HUD45
Family Member

Post by HUD45 »

Looking for information on increasing or decreasing Vitamin D dose to proper levels after appropriate blood tests. Say pt. was 85 Kg and started with 85,000 iu of D. for two months and then after analysis of pth and other tests, more D is needed to further decrease pth level to ideal levels at lowest end of normal range. How is the increase in D dosage calculated?

Any thoughts appreciated...HUD
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

HUD45 wrote:Looking for information on increasing or decreasing Vitamin D dose to proper levels after appropriate blood tests. Say pt. was 85 Kg and started with 85,000 iu of D. for two months and then after analysis of pth and other tests, more D is needed to further decrease pth level to ideal levels at lowest end of normal range. How is the increase in D dosage calculated?

Any thoughts appreciated...HUD

Hi HUD,

It depends on what is your PTH level now. And how much it has decreased since the beginning of the protocol.

Generally, they increase vitamin D intake with 20,000 or 30,000 IU.

However, when the patient has a high resistance and he/she is at the beginning of the treatment more can be added.

My brother started with 130,000 IU after two months a relapse happened and he increased it to 180,000 IU. But his PTH was in 85pg/mL showing a high resistance to vitamin D3. So, the doctor increased his dose in 50,000IU.
HUD45
Family Member

Post by HUD45 »

Thanks Antonio... The research I have done says increase by approximately 20,000 iu in most cases. I was wondering how some patients get to that dosage in the 100,000iu to 200,000iu level. Must be based on resistance as indicated on serum vit. D levels? Any other factors?

HUD
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

HUD45 wrote:Thanks Antonio... The research I have done says increase by approximately 20,000 iu in most cases. I was wondering how some patients get to that dosage in the 100,000iu to 200,000iu level. Must be based on resistance as indicated on serum vit. D levels? Any other factors?

HUD

Yes, patients that have high resistance sometimes take almost one year (or more) to adjust their individual dose by adjusting PTH ranges. It takes time.

Remembering that resistance is measured by Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) not with the vitamin D3 serum levels alone.

Another relevant factor to increase the dose is if a relapse occurs (as happened with my brother).

I forget to mention that my brother's doctor increased his dose again. Now he is taking 250,000 IU (march/2016 update) because his PTH wasn't dropping to the minimum rate. His PTH need to drop to 12pg/mL.

When he was taking 180,000 IU his PTH stuck on 22pg/mL.

People with high resistance generally increase his dose by 50,000UI.

Only in september-2016, he will know how this new dose affected his PTH.
Lionel
Family Member

Post by Lionel »

the before--after photos on the first post are very encouraging...

I didn't know that Coimbra could be used for Psoriasis and Vitiligo.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

I've added more information on the first post.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Lionel wrote:I didn't know that Coimbra could be used for Psoriasis and Vitiligo.
Unless I am mistaken, I think these are the only conditions that have actually been published. MS Treatment has not been published in a peer reviewed medical journal. Results of Coimbra protocol for MS treatment are anecdotal.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

-
-

I posted a recent interview with Dr Coimbra by Dr Francisco Calvo in English:
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... ml#p241870
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

There are many good MS success stories from people using the High dose D on FB. Copaxone gave me constant bladder infections, joint pain, almost fatal kidney stone ( 8 days in ICU) Bladder infections would trigger many MS attacks. I still progressed using copaxone. Dr Ciscero's protocol doesn't have side effects like he other MS drugs
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

TeresaL wrote:There are many good MS success stories from people using the High dose D on FB. Copaxone gave me constant bladder infections, joint pain, almost fatal kidney stone ( 8 days in ICU) Bladder infections would trigger many MS attacks. I still progressed using copaxone. Dr Ciscero's protocol doesn't have side effects like he other MS drugs

Hi Teresa,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Are you still taking Copaxone?

About your doctor from Coimbra Protocol, has he said to you that Copaxone slow down the good effects of vitamin D3?
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

Not taking copaxone anymore. I have local doc who is monitors my. blood test every 2 mos. not sure if copaxone would slow down vit D progress, I just couldn't handle the side effects any longer. From the testimonies on FB vit D group. All soon stop the conventional MS drugs because if side effects or that they are not working well keeping symptoms in remission.
vilnietis
Family Member

Post by vilnietis »

TeresaL, many people, who takes high vitamin D doses, stops taking drugs at some point.
I realized today that 1,5 years past already after my diagnosis. Time goes by fast :) Last half of the year feeling really good, I don't have any symptoms at all. I'm curious to contact my neurologist to perform some tests, which shall confirm I have MS or .. ?. Evoked potentials comes to my mind. Have anyone here had a chance to repeat the same tests, which confirms MS diagnosis (apart MRIs)? What were the results compared to the first ones?

Return to “Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol”