Progesterone stimulates myelin

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Progesterone stimulates myelin

Post by mrtmeo »

I have been researching bioidentical hormone therapy and am finding that Natural Progesterone is life saving and stimulates myelin.
It is also a natural diuretic and anti-inflammatory.
It is estrogen dominance that causes inflammation and swelling.
It takes higher than normal doses of progesterone to stop severe symptoms of menopause, such as 100mg or more according to the late Wray Whyte

Stimulates Myelin
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3274763/

Saves a man from acute tramatic brain injury (could have been given 1200mg progesterone)

However, my experience with my mom taking bioidentical hormones including dhea and stopping them caused her disease to flare bad.
I would not recommend anyone take hormones with an autoimmune disease without great caution and a dr following levels especially, after menopause.
Last edited by mrtmeo on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mother was on Rituximab and prednisone for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
Drs denied her dialysis and appropriate treatment for her MPA and forced her into hospice.
She is in heaven and free from pain.
Lionel
Family Member

Re: Progesterone stimulates myelin

Post by Lionel »

Very interesting!

Thanks for the heads up.
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Post by mrtmeo »

I just want to add one important thing about taking progesterone.
According to the experts I have read, they say many folks stop progesterone because their worst symptoms get far worse when first taking progesterone.
This is due to progesterone upregulating estrogen receptors, so that any estrogen will increase higher than before causing estrogen dominance symptoms.
Some will take more progesterone to overcome this, but it can still take a couple of months according the Wray Whyte.
Mother was on Rituximab and prednisone for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
Drs denied her dialysis and appropriate treatment for her MPA and forced her into hospice.
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Post by mrtmeo »

I found this study saying progesterone actually upregulates VDR's (Vitamin D Receptors) and inhibits Th1 and Th17

http://www.jimmunol.org/content/194/3/883
"
The two nuclear hormone receptor ligands progesterone and vitamin D (vit.D) play important roles in regulating T cells. The mechanism that connects these two hormones in regulating T cells has not been established. In this study, we report that progesterone is a novel inducer of vit.D receptor (VDR) in T cells and makes T cells highly sensitive to calcitriol. At the molecular level, the induction by progesterone is mediated by two progesterone receptor-binding elements in the intron region after the first noncoding exon of the human VDR gene. Increased expression of VDR by progesterone allows highly sensitive regulation of T cells by vit.D even when vit.D levels are suboptimal. This novel regulatory pathway allows enhanced induction of regulatory T cells but suppression of Th1 and Th17 cells by the two nuclear hormones. The results have significant ramifications in effective regulation of T cells to prevent adverse immune responses during pregnancy.
"