Calcium levels and CKD

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Re: Calcium levels and CKD

Post by AntonioBR »

mrtmeo wrote:I started looking at the amount of calcium my mom has been consuming the past 6 months and she has not been consuming much at all which would explain the low levels.
One thing I did notice in 2014 when I gave her 100,000 iu's D, the same day she had iron labs and they were normal for the first time in years.
I wonder if she would still need the 2.5L fluids if her calcium is already below normal?
Yes, she can drink less water.

This recommendation of 2.5 liters of water works as a supplementary security measure.

If some patient cannot drink it, then a special attention should be paid to this patient.
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Post by mrtmeo »

It is my understanding that if we consume calcium that it will lower PTH, but in order to keep the calcium in our bones, we need to keep our calcium in the 9's mg/dL.
Is there a minimum of calcium intake per day?
Mother was on Rituximab and prednisone for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
Drs denied her dialysis and appropriate treatment for her MPA and forced her into hospice.
She is in heaven and free from pain.
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Post by mrtmeo »

I got an email back from Dr Fedor Mataic and he believes it is possible to do the Coimbra protocol with my mom but he doesn't have the experience with kidney issues.
He also, would like to know what coimbra says or does.
He recommended contacting Coimbra directly.
I emailed Coimbra and hopefully, he isn't too busy to respond.
I might have a functional medicine dr nearby that can order the lab work.
Mother was on Rituximab and prednisone for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
Drs denied her dialysis and appropriate treatment for her MPA and forced her into hospice.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

mrtmeo wrote:It is my understanding that if we consume calcium that it will lower PTH, but in order to keep the calcium in our bones, we need to keep our calcium in the 9's mg/dL.
Is there a minimum of calcium intake per day?
It is hard to talk about a minimum intake of calcium per day - for 2 reasons:
  1. Each person is different (genetic factors, gender, height, age, weight, disease, etc.
    ). Moreover, maybe a person ''X'' needs 150k/d3 to drop his PTH level to the lower range and a person ''Y'' needs only 35k/d3 to do the same. In this case, each one has different resistances to vitamin D3. So, their PTH levels change in a different way. Which means, that their calcium intake cannot be standardized even if they have the same disease and similar physical characteristics.
  2. As their PTH reacts in a different way to vitamin D3 the same thing could happen with calcium intake. I mean, their PTH levels can change in a different way in a response to the same amount of calcium.
All the calcium adjustment is made with exams. On the first appointment, the doctor prescribes a low-calcium diet. After a while, he/she analyze her exams to check if she needs to lower even more her calcium intake or take more calcium.

mrtmeo wrote:I emailed Coimbra and hopefully, he isn't too busy to respond.
Are you sure that you have contacted directly with Coimbra?

I'm asking because there are 5 or 7 doctors in his clinic and all of them prescribe the protocol. Only this clinic had 4,500 patients until august 2016. My brother could not start the protocol with him because he has a lot of patients.

Or maybe he is seeing only the more severe cases. But I do not know for sure.
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Post by mrtmeo »

AntonioBR wrote:
mrtmeo wrote:I emailed Coimbra and hopefully, he isn't too busy to respond.
Are you sure that you have contacted directly with Coimbra?

I'm asking because there are 5 or 7 doctors in his clinic and all of them prescribe the protocol. Only this clinic had 4,500 patients until august 2016. My brother could not start the protocol with him because he has a lot of patients.

Or maybe he is seeing only the more severe cases. But I do not know for sure.
Yes, I emailed Dr Coimbra using this email address coimbracg@gmail.com
I know he is no longer taking new patients, but he would know if any of his trained drs could help if it is possible.
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Post by mrtmeo »

I found this study interesting.
I know D2 doesn't absorb as well, but it does show no kidney toxicity.

Dosage preparations of 10,000 IU of ergocalciferol have been given daily to French patients with advanced CKD for periods longer than 1 year, with no evidence of vitamin D overload or renal toxicity.237,238

237. Combe C, Aparicio M: Phosphorus and protein restriction and parathyroid function in chronic renal failure. Kidney Int 46:1381-1386, 1994
238. Lafage MH, Combe C, Fournier A, Aparicio M: Ketodiet, physiological calcium intake and native vitamin D improve renal osteodystrophy. Kidney Int 42:1217-1225, 1992