Dialysis and Coimbra protocol

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Dialysis and Coimbra protocol

Post by mrtmeo »

I saw this study showing how hemodialysis can remove calcium from the blood and figure that it would work for those who are on dialysis and cannot drink the 2.5L of fluids per day.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/160852

Abstract

The role of dialysis in the treatment of patients with severe hypercalcemia is uncertain. The fourteen previously reported cases of hypercalcemia treated with either peritoneal or hemodialysis have been reviewed. Two additional patients treated with hemodialysis are described in this report. Because the use of large volumes of intravenous fluids was contraindicated, each of the patients received a low calcium bath (0-1 mEq calcium per liter) hemodialysis for three and a half hours. After dialysis, the serum calcium fell to normal in both and remained normal thereafter with treatment of the underlying disease (multiple myeloma in one and vitamin D intoxication in the other). Hemodialysis can clear up to 682 mg of calcium per hour as compared to 124 mg per hour for peritoneal dialysis and 82 mg per hour with forced saline diuresis. Low calcium bath hemodialysis is indicated when the presence of renal and/or cardiac failure prevents the administration of large volumes of intravenous fluids to hypercalcemic patients.
Mother was on Rituximab and prednisone for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
Drs denied her dialysis and appropriate treatment for her MPA and forced her into hospice.
She is in heaven and free from pain.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Re: Dialysis and Coimbra protocol

Post by AntonioBR »

Very interesting.

Thank you mrtmeo
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

I understand that plasmapheresis also removes calcium (among many other things) from the bloodstream. Sorry, I have no research to support my statement.
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Post by mrtmeo »

lyndacarol wrote:I understand that plasmapheresis also removes calcium (among many other things) from the bloodstream. Sorry, I have no research to support my statement.
The anti-coagulant usually used in plasmapheresis is citrate, which has a tendency to bind with calcium in the blood, potentially causing dangerously low calcium levels. To prevent this, calcium may be given intravenously (IV) or by mouth during the procedure.

https://www.iwmf.com/system/files/Plasm ... nglish.pdf
Mother was on Rituximab and prednisone for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
Drs denied her dialysis and appropriate treatment for her MPA and forced her into hospice.
She is in heaven and free from pain.