Can I take High Dose Vitamin D and Tecfidera?

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
painter

Can I take High Dose Vitamin D and Tecfidera?

Post by painter »

Hi, can I follow the Coimbra Protocol and continue Tecfidera?
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Re: Can I take High Dose Vitamin D and Tecfidera?

Post by AntonioBR »

painter wrote:Hi, can I follow the Coimbra Protocol and continue Tecfidera?

Hi painter,

Yes, you can take high doses of vitamin D3 with tecfidera.

However, Dr. Coimbra mentions that Nephrotoxic drugs decreases a lot the effectiveness of vitamin D to modulate patient's immune system.

Which means that good effects will be considerably diminished.

In the MS testimonials thread
there are many reports of people who used these drugs together with vitamin D3. And when they stopped taking the drug many improvements were added by vitamin D3.
painter

Post by painter »

Hi Antonio

thank you very much for your reply, but is Tecfidera Nephrotoxic? The mechanism behind tecfidera other than the interferons is:

"Researchers investigated the mechanism of action of Tecfidera, and reported that it has anti-oxidant properties by activating a protein called Nrf2; however, to block cytokine induction, Tecfidera uses other mechanisms. The team found that the drug is able to inhibit several pathways linked to a set of proteins called toll-like receptors (TLRs), which play a key role in innate immune system responses.

In addition, the researchers found that Tecfidera can block a specific group of enzymes called the ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes (E2 enzymes). Ubiquitin is a small regulatory protein found in almost all tissues. The addition of ubiquitins to a certain protein is a cellular mechanism to regulate protein expression and location; the ubiquitination process (addition of ubiquitins) can affect a protein’s degradation, change its cellular location, affect its activity, and promote or prevent protein interactions."

Maybe this mechanism can enhance vitamin d instead of decreasing its action?

regards

painter
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

This new technology has given us insights into the therapeutic modulation of the immune system that we could not have obtained with standard approaches,” John R. Teijaro, an assistant professor at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) and co-senior author of the study, said in a news release.

Recent studies have suggested that Tecfidera reduces immune activity independent of its actions on Nrf2, an idea supported by the fact that there are cases of patients on Tecfidera treatment who have developed progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) — an infection that only occurs in people with weakened immune systems.
[1]
Sorry, I generalized.

Tecfidera is not a Nephrotoxic, but it is an immunomodulator drug. Which means that it ''tries'' to modulating or affecting how the immune system functions.

However, it is important to remember that Vitamin D is the best human immunomodulator and it is a natural substance. I mean, your system recognize it as a safe agent.

Tecfidera, on the other hand, is an ''Alien'' agent. Because of that it has so many side effects.

Moreover, vitamin D regulates the immune system in order to drop the antibodies that are attacking the body itself, while improving the immune response to other aggressions. And this work Tecfidera cannot do.

In fact, the opposite is true. Tecfidera let your immune system weaker not stronger.

Some side effects: http://www.healthline.com/health/multip ... n-the-body

Maybe this mechanism can enhance vitamin d instead of decreasing its action?
Unfortunately, I did not find any study about the correlation between vitamin D and Tecfidera. Probably there is one, but in my quick research I didn't find.

Second the Dr. Coimbra experience (and the experience of other doctors). It does not help the vitamin D3 work.

The many side effects that it promotes are an indicator of how the body ''see'' this substance. As an intruder.

[1] https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/ ... -possible+
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

But, remember that you can follow the Coimbra Protocol and continue taking Tecfidera

Best Regards
painter

Post by painter »

Hello Antonio

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Yes I know that tecfidera has many side effects. It seems that I'm one of few that don't had any yet. Also I know that the results of these drugs is limited.

So I will consider the CP and continue tecfidera. At least until the CP reached its effective level.

Best regards

painter