Exercises and limited mobility?

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
Raffaelo

Exercises and limited mobility?

Post by Raffaelo »

My mom's in the wheelchair.

How can she do cardio?

Or does she need to take bisphosphonate?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Exercises and limited mobility?

Post by ElliotB »

type in

"cardio workout wheelchair"

in your search engine.

You will be surprised at the number of results and many options available to you and her. Can she swim?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Raffaelo wrote:My mom's in the wheelchair.

How can she do cardio?
Has she tried using a Theracycle? These are motorized exercise bikes that offer full or partial assist.

http://www.theracycle.com/
I'm not a fan of bisphosponate drugs. There are two types of cells that work in tandem for bone remodeling, osteoblasts and osteoclasts. The osteoblasts lay down new bone material while the osteoclasts remove material that needs to be replaced or to make pathways for blood vessel growth for increased circulation. Bisphosphonates inhibit the osteoclasts. While this can lead to denser bone material, it may not be as healthy compared to bones without bisphophonste treatment.

You may wish to read two books that I recall discussing bisphosphonates. Note that it's been a while since I've read them so I can't tell you which might be best at this time
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

It is very rare doctors of Coimbra Protocol prescribe bisphosphonate. They try to maintain the treatment as free of drugs as possible.

If she find an workout that she can do 5x or 3x a week for 30 minutes, then she probably will not need to take these drugs.

But, of course only her doctor can attest to that for sure.

Raffaelo wrote:My mom's in the wheelchair.

How can she do cardio?
As Elliot said there are a lot of workout programs available for people with limited mobility. (I also did not know that had so many programs available)

Dr. Mercola has one good article showing 3 different types of exercises for people with limited mobility:
- Cardiovascular exercises;
- Strength training exercises;
- Flexibility exercises
:

Article: Seated Aerobic and Strength Training Exercises for Those with Limited Mobility

In addition, some patients use a Mini Exercise Bike, but they use their hands to do the workout:

Watch a patient of the protocol doing their cardio with a similar product:
https://www.facebook.com/EsclerosisMult ... 766329925/

mrtmeo
Family Elder

Post by mrtmeo »

Simply standing on one leg for 1 minute is = 53 minutes of walking. You could use a cane or chair for support too.
https://www.healthcentral.com/article/s ... -fractures

"Unipedal standing captures the 2.75 times weight load to the femoral head. Unipedal standing for one minute is equivalent to the amount of integral load gained through walking for approximately 53 minutes."
Mother was on Rituximab and prednisone for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
Drs denied her dialysis and appropriate treatment for her MPA and forced her into hospice.
She is in heaven and free from pain.