Dr. Coimbra Protocol

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
Kittie
Family Elder

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Post by Kittie »

I spoke to Dr. Cawley this morning, Wednesday, 15th November, 2017.

I am now on 60,000iu D3 every day and I am to look out for adverse signs which will show me I am taking too much. If my MS gets worse, etc. I am to try the same walk again, as I did on Sunday and see if it makes any difference taking the extra D3. My finger on my right hand and next to my little finger dropped years ago and my left hand came into play more and more. I can lift it up now sometimes and today(NOW) I typed a few words with both my typist hands. They worked BETTER THAN I HAVE USED THEM IN A LONG LONG TIME!!!!!! (YEARS) It has always been hard to open my right hand!! Wow!!

He has advised me to take the Ionic Magnesium twice a day and unless it becomes painful, under my arms, or I get headaches or sickness to persevere. It is obviously clearing something out.

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

I had a rough day yesterday with my MS. It got better as the day went on. My balance, which had become much better, seemed to go backwards for a while. Also I seemed to be dragging my leg more in the morning. I will keep an eye on this for the next few days. My D3 and a large portion of my magnesium is taken in the morning.

It might be I am taking just a little too much D3. The next few days will tell.

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

I felt really well yesterday and also today. (Saturday and Sunday) What I did yesterday morning was to have a good breakfast and also this morning. I wondered if it was a lot of pills and especially Magnesium, to take on just a bowl of gluton free cornflakes. My breakfast was a poached egg and beans on gluten free bread. I take the Magnesium, D3 and K2 at the end.

Kittie.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Beans can be calcium rich and not good for you.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

You have just shocked me!! I never gave it a thought. I will go and look.

They are Heinz baked beans. No mention of Calcium. "No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. Naturally high in protein. Naturally low in fat. Naturally high in fibre. Low sugar, gluten free and vegetarian friendly." Should I be worried?

Kittie.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

Beans are allowed in the protocol. You do not need to worry about it.

Calcium is an important mineral and patients must consume it.

Only foods very high in calcium should be avoided. Like Milk, Kale, Collard Greens, Cheese, etc.

There are some foods that are high in calcium as Chia seeds, broccolli, spinach, etc. but you can consume them in moderation. They do not have so much calcium as kale, collard greens and diary.
https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/nat ... n-calcium/

Check the foods list below.

Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Is that and official list?

If that list only for calcium, beans contains much much more calcium than a banana.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Beans are typically loaded with lectins and should be avoided.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

Zyklon wrote:Is that and official list?

If that list only for calcium, beans contains much much more calcium than a banana.
Hi Zyklon,

Yes, it's the official list. My brother received the same list in Portuguese.

Perhaps, they may have changed the list to adapt it to the European or/and American most common food list.

It's true that beans have much more calcium than a banana. I also never understood completely what the banana was doing in the moderate usage column. But beans are not very rich in calcium compared with dairy, kale, collard greens, etc.

Food...............Serving Size....................Calcium (mg)
Red beans...........80 g raw/ 200 g cooked.........93
White beans.........80 g raw/ 200 g cooked.......132
American cheese...100g.................................1,045
Parmesan.............100g.................................1,109
Milk.....................100g.................................150mg
Powdered Milk.......100g.................................912 mg
Kale.....................100g.................................150 mg
Collards (raw)........100g.................................232mg

It's a lot easier take 100g of milk or 100g of cheese than 200g of beans.

ElliotB wrote:Beans are typically loaded with lectins and should be avoided.
ElliotB,

Yes, beans have lectins. But not only that it has phytic acid too which can reduce the absorption of minerals.

However, in the case of lectins, if you choose the right preparation method you can avoid it almost completely.

I very rarely eat beans but when I do I ever use soaking and boiling.

Authority Nutrition has a good article about the Preparation Methods in order to reduce or eliminate Antinutrients: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ho ... inutrients
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

Antonio, great chart. Some people are a little too cautious with calcium - your body does need some, just not the huge amounts found in dairy. My wife even has an almond or coconut milk yogurt one or twice a week. They do have some added calcium but not as much as real yogurt. I'm guessing the higher your vitamin D dose the more cautious you need to be?
As for beans, the whole lectin issue is a concern, but again in moderation I think they are fine. I believe that some beans (like kidney beans) are very high in lectins, others like black beans are not as bad.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

I think you are right. Everything in moderation.

The last week has been up and down. Definately not as good as previously experienced. I went up to 60,000iu on 15th Nov. 2017 and on that morning before taking the extra D3 I had a brilliant experience with my right hand. Since then it seems not as bad but also not as good. It, my right hand, does seem to be more relaxed now. On Monday, 19th Nov. my right knee threatened to give way three times coming down stairs that morning. Tuesday evening I had palpitations and then yesterday, late afternoon, I felt really not well. As if I was sickening for something. Not ill but not 100%. I phoned Dr. Cawley and he put me back on 50,000iu.

We will see how it goes and I will keep you informed either way. Fingers crossed!!

Has anyone else suffered the same?

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Dr. Cawley rang me and asked if I felt ok this morning. As I wasn't completely better and felt weaker than usual,he advised I leave taking the D3 until later today and take only 40,000ie. Then tomorrow 48,000iu and see how I feel. He thinks my figure is going to be around the 50,000iu. 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53. Just a matter of finding which.

Kittie.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

tzootsi wrote:I'm guessing the higher your vitamin D dose the more cautious you need to be?
Hi tzootsi,

Everyone that takes more than 10,000IU/D3/day should pay attention to his/her calcium intake.

But, patients that take huge doses (higher than 100,000IU) must be more cautious than the others because the odds of have trouble getting hypercalcemia or kidney stones are higher.

tzootsi wrote:As for beans, the whole lectin issue is a concern, but again in moderation I think they are fine. I believe that some beans (like kidney beans) are very high in lectins, others like black beans are not as bad.
Yes, unfortunately, beans have 2 antinutrients Lectin and Phytic Acid and they are not good for our health.

However, if you use some methods of preparation like soaking, boiling, fermentation, etc, both antinutrients can be diminished and in the case of lectins almost completely eliminated.

Kittie wrote:Tuesday evening I had palpitations and then yesterday, late afternoon, I felt really not well. As if I was sickening for something. Not ill but not 100%. I phoned Dr. Cawley and he put me back on 50,000iu.

We will see how it goes and I will keep you informed either way. Fingers crossed!!

Has anyone else suffered the same?
Hi Kittie,

Vitamin D3 takes some time to modulates our immune system. Thus this come and go of symptoms may happen and it is not necessarily related to the vitamin D3 dose.

It often happens in the beginning of the treatment with almost every patient.

It happened to my brother too.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

I felt better yesterday, as the day went on and I took the 40,000iu last night.

This morning, Thursday, 23rd November, 2017, I feel fine again. This morning I am taking 48,000iu vitamin D3.

Apparently there is only so much vitamin D3 we can handle and then we get a build up in the system. This is then recognised as a toxin which is why I got the 'sickening for something and trying to fight something off' feeling. It makes sense.

Onward and upward!
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Today Friday I got a feeling of (not quite right) not as bad as before but not as strong and when I went shopping this morning I felt light headed occasionally. I spoke to Dr. Cawley and he suggested, and I totally agree with him, to go down to 46,000iu. Then if I still felt a bit off, the next day, down to 44,000iu.

This is when you need a doctor to keep you focussed and confident in what you are doing.

Return to “Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol”