Dr. Coimbra Protocol

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
Kittie
Family Elder

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Post by Kittie »

I have joined the MS gym now and started their regime for foot drop. Still doing the chiro's shoulder blade exercise and still going to Thi Chi once a week. Still looking for better walking. I had three days once of strong walking but never got it back since. I still have good days and tired days but far far better than I was a year ago.

I went to a wedding recently and dropped the vitamin D3 to 20,000K because I didn't want to drink the 2 1/2 ltrs. of water but my balance was off all day.

We are trying different D3's with different oils as Michael Cawley has noticed significant changes with the different oils. I have tried one but it definately didn't suit me. I am trying another today. 70K of my usual and 10K of the new one. We will see over the next few days.

Onward and upward,

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Another month and I have been on the D3 therapy for a year. I was thinking the other day that I don't have pains in my head any more. I used to get them on the left side of my head. They didn't last long but they were worrying. It is the right side of my body that is most affected. I can't remember getting these pains since being on the D3 in high doses.

At the moment I am on 80,000iu D3 every day and feeling good. My walking isn't any better but I did have 3 days of strong walking and balance in July. I havn't felt that good since but I am still trying different D3 in different oils, Thi chi lessons and my own exercises which are working. I can now lift my leg up towards my head while lying down on my stomach. This has been a long hard slog and nearly gave up as nothing seemed to be happening. Every morning for about 10 mins. I practiced it. It worked and my leg is starting to connect. This must all help in the long run.

I still drink 2 1/2 ltrs. of water a day and of course magnesiums, B2, Carlson Super DHA and the list of vitamins, meat free, mostly gluten free, lots of fish and fruit and vegetables.

I tried Biotech D3 -5 and my body liked it and I felt more relaxed but I have gone back to Life Extension again but might add a little extra with the Biotech today.

Onward and upward,

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

I have reverted back to 80,000iu every day of Life Extension d3 and feeling well. I havn't ruled out another D3 to try but not at this moment.

Yesterday I had a really strong bad leg. It was better than my good leg! Not sure why.

Last night I took 4 Pectasol instead of my usual 3. Last Wednesday I took 4 of my usual Biofilam instead of my usual 3. Not sure if my strong leg was related to the extra Biofilam. Always listen to your body.

Thi chi this morning, which is going well.

Onward and upward,

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

I stopped taking B2 Swanson Riboflavin on 16th September, as I thought it hadn't helped at all, so didn't bother buying any more and let it run out. Wrong!! I didn't feel 100 % for days and realised why and ordered some more. They arrived and I took the first on 27th September. The next day I felt so much better and stronger. I stopped the other B2 by Gall Pharma and felt no different.

Last time I had had a really strong leg and thought it was th extra PectaSol that I had taken but I had noticed a strong leg the day I took the PectaSol at night. IT WAS THE BIOTIN!!!!! I started taking Biotin on 6th October for my hair and nails and on 8th October my legs were strong and I felt better in myself. The strong legs have continued! Now I know Swanson B2 and Biotin are two things that I really need! I am also taking 4 PectaSol Monday, 4 Biofilam Wednesday and 6 PectaClear Friday. Don't get taking these amounts as I have built up to this for many months now.

Saturday, 13th October, I tried a pair of boots on to see if they looked okay with what I was wearing. I walked in them without my leg brace!!! Another step forward! Still have foot drop so not sure about going far as I would get tired and maybe trip but we are getting closer. I took a video of it and also my bad leg exercises as they have progressed too. I still do Thi chi and feel this is really good for me as I have been able to do slightly more movements with stretching my arm out etc. I decided not to join the MS Gym in the end as I feel I am doing enough at the moment.

Onward and Upward, definately on the way upward now!!!!!!!!! I am getting excited, but know it all takes time!

Kittie.

Kitttie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Not much to report, except, I have noticed for quite a while now, my good leg is not as good as my bad leg. When I go on my exercise bike it is the good leg that feels tired first. Strange. Almost as if the bad one is getting all the attention first.

A list of everything I am taking at the moment. Do not do this without a protocol doctor.
No dairy, no gluten, meat free, lots of fruit and vegetables, salads and fish, 2 1/2 litres of water per day.

Healthy Origins Ubiquinol 100mg
Life Extension Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine 200mcg x 2
Life Extension Gamma E Mixed Tocopherols
Medikor Labs Menaquin Gold Vitamin K2
Carlson Super DHA 500mg x 3 per day Life Extension Liquid Vitamin D3 2,000iu - 80,000iu per day
Magtein Magnesium L-Threonate x 4 per day
Swanson Riboflavin 100mg x 3 per day
Good State Ion-Mag x 4 per day
Solgar Biotin 5000mcg x 1 per day Healthy Origins Methyl Folate x 3 per week.
Iodoral x 3 times per week.
Pectosol 4 on a Monday before bed. Detox.
Biofilam 5 on a Wednesday before bed. Detox.
PectoClear 6 on a Friday before4 bed. Detox.

Onward and upward,

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Yesterday, while having boiled egg for beakfast, I found I was using the right hand. I always use my left hand which is the stronger side. This happened automatically without any thought! I could twist the spoon inside the egg without any effort!!!! I might have done this before but never noticed, I just don't know. Also I noticed I can lift my bra strap up with my weak arm too. I couldn't do that before, having to use my left arm to do it. It was really awkward to do. This definately was new!

Today, I had my usual monthly massage and my legs both felt the same!!! She put one hand on each leg to massage and normally one feels hot and one feels cold. Not today, they both felt the same.

I took 5 Biofilam last Wednesday and it didn't seem to have made much difference from the 4 but maybe there was a difference. Also Thi chi has a lot to do with this too. I would recommend this to all you MS people. A gentle way to get your body working again.

I have added Gall Pharma B2 back in yesterday and again today as I felt I wasn't as good. I felt better straight away yesterday. B2 helps activate the D3.

You know little things become big ones. I am still changing and moving forward and just a week away from the high D3 one
year birthday on 1st November. What a year!! I made the right choice and chose the right person, Michael Cawley, to help me.

Onwards and definately upwards,

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Yesterday was my usual 4/6 weekly check up with my Chiropractor. Ian Smith from Newport. Lots of things had become much better from the previous time. One was my knee reactions to being tapped. Last time my bad leg shot right out but this time it was exactly the same as my left! Very noticeable! Another big thing was, when I was lying on my stomach, my bad leg would hardly lift up for more than about an inch when held straight. This hadn't changed. He pressed down on a few places up my spine and asked if it was any better and I said no quite a few times. Then he touched one spot and it was so light to lift up! He clicked twice on this spot and I could do it!

Today it was still doing the same and my other exercise, that I do every day, bending and lifting my leg back towards me, was so much easier. Again a step nearer.

My ankle was no better so I am working on this too now. Imagining it turning round one way and then back the other way.

Definately continuing Thi chi!

Definately onwards and upwards!!!

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Hi, It has been over a month since my last post because I have been having some problems. It started by not feeling 100% and palpitations. At Thi chi I felt less strong than usual and did my exercises sitting down. I was making dinner at tea time and I had a palpitation that made me nearly pass out and I had to sit down. It only lasted for a matter of seconds. When I text Michael Cawley he said to go to the A & E and get it checked out as I could have a blockage in my heart. That was checked out and everything was okay but I had to make a Doctor's appointment as I was still getting palpitations which were a little bit frightening. All vital signs were good and she made an appointment for me to attend hospital and have a 24hr monitor attached to my heart. I spoke to Michael Cawley and he suggested taking the neural mag down to two a day. If that didn't work take the Riboflavin down to two twice a day. If that didn't work take out K2. If none of the vitamins taken out work then stop detox and see what happens. I tried everything and cut down the detox but that didn't stop it. I decided to stop the detox and within 48 hrs. it all went away. I have been taking these detox capsules for months and couldn't believe it was this. I had actually been detoxing too quick and too much. This is again why you need a protocol trained doctor and nutritionist.

I am taking a break from them now. I have had my blood results back and everything is normal. At the moment I have started to add 10K of Biotech D3 yesterday and today and I will see how I go. So that puts me up to 90,000iu every day.

Onwards and upwards,
Kittie.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

I'm not a doctor, but I'm not sure that being on a constant detox regimen is the best for your body. It's not even part of the true Coimbra protocol.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

The detox supplements are basically seaweed so there should not be any concerns.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

The detox is basically seaweed and pectin but you can overdo it and that is what I did. I am not on the actual Coimbra Protocol as that is how I started but I started with Michael Cawley from the beginning and his is the D3 Therapy as he was trained in the Coimbra Protocol but felt he needed to change a few things as not all his patients could accept the high levels of D3 etc. Some of his patients also had good results from as little as 2,000iu daily.

I have been put down to 50,000iu of vitamin D3 and I am trying 15,000iu of Biotech D3. I have found that my body likes this D3. MC has found that different D3's work differently in different oils etc.

Yesterday I went to the Chiropractitioner, Iain Smith in Newport and again he adjusted my spine to help lift my leg easier. I could still lift it straight while lying on my stomach but this made it a little easier. My walking today while out shopping was good.

Onward and upward,

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

I went down to 20,000iu D3 every day and decided to work up from there. I must say I felt pretty rough, no energy, balance not good, etc. etc. I tested all my vitamins and some that I had been taking from the beginning didn't agree with me. I eventually found all the things that seemed okay. One of the things I found, which made my thumb and first two fingers numb, was Ionic Magnesium.
Anyway to cut a long story short I am now on 90,000iu D3 byLife Extension. I also take 3 Magtein and 3 Magnesium Citrate, 3 Swanson Riboflavin B2, 2 x 500mg Carlson Super DHA, 1 Menaquin Gold K2 (I get palpitations on two of these) 12.5 Iodoral (Iodine). At the moment. I have found that your body changes all the time.
I now go through the night (8 hours) without getting up to go to the toilet. I used to go within 2/3 hours of going to bed! Also more feeling the other end! I am walking more now too. My right hand became so relaxed it felt wonderful. Last night I got up from sitting knitting, about 10pm, and my bad leg was lifting really well! I am just hoping this is the start of something more.

I am almost glad about the overdoing the detox as I have really looked at what I am taking. I havn't started taking the detox again yet but I will. I am giving my body a decent break. Once again you need someone who knows what they are doing and I have blood tests every three months and my GP checks them.

Onwards and Upwards,
Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Still trying to work everything out. I recently started another detox called EDTA which after just a few days I felt strong walking, head completely clear and my hand loosened up to type with both hands again but even stronger! I used the capsules which are not very expensive. MC said to try the cream but it was so expensive. I did try this and got a bad reaction. Palpitations within the hour and I felt sick for two days after every meal. So I am trying to get to that place again, with the capsules, which was brilliant! MC sent me a suppositary but I havn't tried this. These are very expensive to buy.
My leg exercises every morning are getting better. If I can get back how I felt after taking the capsules I would be happy to stay like that. It lasted nearly five days till I took the cream.
Onwards and upwards,
Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

A question I would like to throw out there. Why after taking Good State Ion-mag for probably 9 months my body won't accept it now? It makes my MS symptoms much worse. What would you recommend to fill the gap of 4 of these capsules daily. I still take 3 Magtein and 3 Life Extension magnesium capsules. Funny enough I can now take 3 citrate while I am not taking Ion-mag. At the moment I am on 80,000iu vitamin D3.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Perhaps you are taking too much Magnesium?. The recommended dosage for the Magtein is 2 capsules a day. The recommended dosage for the Life Extension product is only 1 capsule a day. You are exceeding both recommended dosages and each product on its own provides the recommended daily allowance for magnesium so you are taking well over double the recommended amount and then some because of the duplication. The RDA for magnesium is 350-400 milligrams per day. Magnesium is also available from many foods to depending on your diet, that can have an effect also. Foods high in Magnesium include:

Whole Wheat. (Most whole grains are a good source of magnesium)
Quinoa
Almonds, Cashews, and Peanuts.
Dark Chocolate
Black Beans
Edamame
Avocado
Green leafy vegetables (spinach, kale, Swiss chard, bok choy)
Fruit (figs, avocado, banana and raspberries)
Nuts and seeds
Legumes (black beans, chickpeas and kidney beans)
Vegetables (peas, broccoli, cabbage, green beans, artichokes, asparagus, brussels sprouts)
Even sea foods such as salmon, mackerel, and tuna have good amounts of magnesium

BUT both product you are taking are not regular forms of Magnesium (Magtein is Magnesium I-threonate, a new form of magnesium, the LE brand is a mix of 4 types, magnesium oxide, citrate, succinate, TRAACS® magnesium lysyl glycinate chelate) and there is no way of knowing the direct effect they are having as compared to 'normal' Magnesium.

The Magtein seems like a good/advanced product that I was not aware of and just ordered some and will adding it to my supplement list, thanks for mentioning it! There are many sellers offering this product but they all seem to have fillers added to them except the one offered by Magceutics which is the originator of this product, and that is the one I ordered.

I am assuming that your doctor has done extensive blood work over the time you have been on the protocol. What was your original Magnesium level at the start of the protocol and how is it changed at each blood test until now?

I always monitor the results of my supplement intake through blood work and adjust my intake based on those results. I have to assume your doctor does this as well and would warn you of any issues.

Another interesting consideration about Magnesium is that it is recommended that for maximum effectiveness, you may need to supplement Magnesium with Calcium. (For best results with magnesium, apparently it is also best to take a supplement of Calcium equal to twice the amount of Magnesium you are taking, provided this amount is still safely within the daily recommendations for both.) But ultimately the goal should be to get your Magnesium to a specific level that your doctor is recommending. And you are likely on a calcium restricted diet as recommended for the Coimbra protocol, so although you are taking 'more', less is getting absorbed, so you may be in 'balance', again, your blood work is important to refer to on this.

Return to “Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol”