Dr. Coimbra Protocol

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Post by NHE »

Kittie wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:29 am A question I would like to throw out there. Why after taking Good State Ion-mag for probably 9 months my body won't accept it now? It makes my MS symptoms much worse. What would you recommend to fill the gap of 4 of these capsules daily. I still take 3 Magtein and 3 Life Extension magnesium capsules. Funny enough I can now take 3 citrate while I am not taking Ion-mag. At the moment I am on 80,000iu vitamin D3.
Too much magnesium can make your muscles weak. I experienced that when I tried taking 800 mg/day for a week. Since you're doing the Coimbra protocol, I suggest you contact your doctor.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Hi, thank you for answering. Michael Cawley only used good supplements and the Magceutics Magtein was one of the ones I was asked to get. Also Good State Ion-Mag and life Extension Mag. Citrate. My blood tests have always been fine and the only one thing was that I was always at the top end of normal for calcium which is the one we have to watch because of the high D3 that I take. I have recently purchase Zero Water Filter which will bring it down a bit more. I eat a lot of greens and salmon and tuna. Not sure how to find the magnesium on blood test. My PTH has gone down from 6.1 to 3.2. Serum TSH down from 2.6 to 1.4 Everything has remained very similar and my full blood count is fine too.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

I just want to say that I am not on the Coimbra Protocol. I started on that with Michael Cawley as a protocol doctor because he had been trained by Coimbra himself. His MS was halted with the Coimbra protocol and he started treating his patients with this. He found that a lot of his patients couldn't take the high doses of D3 and changed the way he treated people. Also he noted the high calcium levels and the risk from this. We have blood tests every three months approx. He is not a Coimbra Protocol Doctor any more because he treats his patients as an individual. Everyone is different.
My last blood test showed up above normal calcium in my blood. I was taken off D3 straight away and no more for at least a week and a fortnight if possible. I had to wait for a month for my blood test which meant I was high for longer than I needed.
I didn't take D3 for 13days to the day I had another blood test. I actually felt really well on no D3. This brought my calcium levels back down to within the normal range. He didn't think my body could take the high D3 and I was to start on 20K and after a week go up to 50K, he didn't think I would go higher than this again. Maybe lower.
Quite an eventful period!
Anyway I have less energy at the moment and today I went up to 50K. I have had some previous symptoms coming back. My leg has been trying to drop me to the floor, tingling down my right arm, tingling when I bend my head, lack of energy. Hopefully this will slowly get better again. This is why you need someone looking after you. You can't do this alone!

Onwards and Upwards,
Kittie.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Sorry to hear you have been having issues with the protocol, as if thing were not tough enough already. Does the doctor have any idea why your calcium levels increased? Just curious if you were following a very low calcium diet or if you had eliminated calcium totally from your diet and the levels went up anyway? Do you plan on going back on the protocol in the future?
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

My levels have always been near the top but within the normal range. The range is 2.20 to 2.60. Previous readings were 2.51, 2.5, 2.55, 2.49,( 2.56 Serum Calcium. 2.6 Serum Adjusted Calcium). I then bought a Zero Water Filter, I have always had a low calcium diet, gluten free, no dairy. I was on between 80/90,000iu and my next blood test showed Serium Calcium at 2.66 with Serum Adjusted Calcium 2.68. Absolutely and totally unexpected. Obvously Michael stopped all D3 and also cut out eggs. My next blood test after 13 days no D3 was Serum Calcium 2.53 and Serum Adjusted Calcium 2.58 within the 'normal' range.
My PTH also went up to 4.7. The only other thing that stood out different was Serum Alk. Phosphatase to 128. This also has been rising from the beginning. This can show other thigns too but I think it is the high D.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

I have not left Michael Cawley and will continue. If I had been on the Coimbra Protocol I would have just been put on higher D from what I understand. The group that I am in with Michael Cawley is 'Personalized Vitamin D3 Therapy For MS With Michael Cawley'.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Michael has a lot of people in the group who take low D3 example 20,000iu a day and do very well. Quite a few people have come to the group from the Coimbra Protocol who have just got worse on the high D and progressed really well under Michael's direction. Because we are all different we all need a personalised approach. What fits one doesn't fit all.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

My d3 level seems to change periodically and I am constantly adjusting my intake. I have been typically takings 40,000 iu to 60,000 iu daily but my d3 level jumped up my last blood test by about 50 points, so I have cut my intake to about 30,000 iu. and will be retesting in about 3-4 months.

Good luck, still sounds like you are doing reasonably well!
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

My D levels have been 400 for the last four tests. When I started taking 10K it was 117.4 and next blood test 109. After that 400. What I have noticed is that I had slight palpitations at bed time. Settled down after I went to sleep. Thought it was probably anxiety. When I stopped the D they went and havn't come back.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I have been maintaining my D level around 70, and have maintained around that level for a couple of years but for some unexpected reason it jumped in my latest test about a month ago (it is very important to test every few months) so I have cut back substantially.

Have your issues still stayed away since starting back on lower dosages of d3 to 20k?
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Symptoms fine at first but got less energy as time went on. Today first 50K and hope tomorrow will be better. Old symptoms returning. Tired, not lifting leg as well.

Onwards and upwards,
Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Second day today on 50K. No tingling when I bend my head today. Some tingling at top of bad arm. During all of this my right hand has stayed quite relaxed. Nowhere near how bad it was at the beginning.
I am doing a chelation Formula called Arizona Natural EDTA which really worked at the beginning, giving me really better walking and a very relaxed hand, similar to the last time but stronger. Not much difference after that but I am hoping. Quite a few people have had really good reactions with it.
I still think I am doing the right thing for me. Head clear and I feel less tired today. My weight has gone down slowly over the last 18 months on the diet I am on, gluten free, dairy free, meat free ( although I recently tried some lamb's liver as it contains certain things that I need). I take Iodoral every day now which I feel my body likes but I wonder if that is why my PTH has gone up? MC does not work by the PTH as the Coimbra Protocol does
Thi chi this morning.

Onwards and upwards,
Kittie.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

According to product information, EDTA Calcium Disodium EDTA is a pharmaceutical grade chelating agent designed to bind and render inactive certain trace metals. This product is intended to supplement chelation therapy of plaque and other mineral deposits throughout the cardiovascular system.

EDTA may deplete levels of important vitamins and minerals although I was unable to determine which are effected. I know you are doing regular bloodwork, but are you having your vitamin and mineral levels checked as part of that blood work?

How long did you take this supplement for in the past? How long do you plan on taking it now?
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

I should have said, I also take Good State Ironic Trace Minerals because of the depletion from the EDTA. Before it was Pectacler, Pectasol and Biofilam that I took.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:01 amEDTA may deplete levels of important vitamins and minerals although I was unable to determine which are effected.
Usually the divalent ones, e.g., Ca2+, Zn2+, Mg2+...

Return to “Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol”