Low calcium diet?

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
Ravehealth

Low calcium diet?

Post by Ravehealth »

Hello,

I 've been looking into the Coimbra Protocol, and I was wondering what exactly is the definition of "low calcium diet"? If the daily "normal" recommended amount is 1000 mg, approximately how many mg should followers of the protocol aim for? I cannot find any numerical value anywhere.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a number to aim for, or is it just achieved by the elimation of dairy products+others? It is frustrating, as not even my doctor (Coimbra trained), to not be provided with what seems to be an essential piece of information...

I was also wondering if the amount of calcium in beans is comparable? I ask, knowing the huge difference %wise, but is it not possible to eat the approximately same amount of calcium as a piece of cheese in slightly more then a cup of beans?

Thank you for the clarification....this point has been very confusing, yet, we feel an essential part to understand.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Re: Low calcium diet?

Post by AntonioBR »

Hi Ravehealth,
I 've been looking into the Coimbra Protocol, and I was wondering what exactly is the definition of "low calcium diet"? If the daily "normal" recommended amount is 1000 mg, approximately how many mg should followers of the protocol aim for? I cannot find any numerical value anywhere.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a number to aim for, or is it just achieved by the elimation of dairy products+others? It is frustrating, as not even my doctor (Coimbra trained), to not be provided with what seems to be an essential piece of information...
There isn't an exact number about the quantity (mg) of calcium that you need to ingest.

It happens because 1º everyone is different (age, gender, disease, biotype, etc.) and 2º cuz every patient will take a different vitamin D dose. The doses may change a lot (30,000 to 400,000IU).

Thus only your medical tests will say for sure if you are on the right track or not... It is much safer and accurate control your calcium intake using medical tests than guessing about the recommendations.

At the beginning of treatment, the patient only needs to cut all the dairy and other foods rich in calcium for safety reasons.

Then, when you achieve the lowest range of the Parathormone test (PTH). It may take only some months or almost 2 years cuz it depends on your resistance to vitamin D. The doctor may add some calcium again after that...

e.g. my brother took almost one year and a half to adjust his PTH range... Now once a while he can eat some cheese, açaí, etc. And every 4 months he checks his calcium through medical tests.

I was also wondering if the amount of calcium in beans is comparable? I ask, knowing the huge difference %wise, but is it not possible to eat the approximately same amount of calcium as a piece of cheese in slightly more then a cup of beans?
As I understood, it is not comparable.

It is a lot easier eat 100g of cheese than 2,000g of beans. I mean, you can eat almost 10x more beans than cheese for the same amount of calcium.

Food...................Serving Size....................Calcium (mg)
Red beans...........80 g raw/ 200 g cooked.......93
White beans.........80 g raw/ 200 g cooked.......132
American cheese...100g..............................1,045
Parmesan.............100g..............................1,109

If I didn't understand it correctly let me know.