Deep bone pain?

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
Ravehealth

Deep bone pain?

Post by Ravehealth »

Hi everyone,

I've been on the the protocol for a few months now, and I've noticed that a few days after taking the Vit D that I've developed a deep pain in my arms, almost as if my bones hurt. This pain can be almost be enough to interfere with daily tasks some days. I have done some research, and found that for people with incredibly low levels of Vit D, it is their bones absorbing the vitamin at a rapid rate, leading to the feeling of "bone pain". This should not be the case for me, as my levels are decent. Have anyone here experienced this sensation, and have any ideas? I'm a little worried about it!

Thank!
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Re: Deep bone pain?

Post by AntonioBR »

Ravehealth wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been on the the protocol for a few months now, and I've noticed that a few days after taking the Vit D that I've developed a deep pain in my arms, almost as if my bones hurt. This pain can be almost be enough to interfere with daily tasks some days. I have done some research, and found that for people with incredibly low levels of Vit D, it is their bones absorbing the vitamin at a rapid rate, leading to the feeling of "bone pain". This should not be the case for me, as my levels are decent. Have anyone here experienced this sensation, and have any ideas? I'm a little worried about it!

Thank!

Hi Ravehealth,

How are your medical test results? (all test related to calcium, vit. D3, PTH) The tests are very important to check your overall health.

I did an experiment almost 2 years ago where I took 25,000IU of vit.D3 for 4 months, 50,000IU for 2 months and 100,000IU for one month and a half.

When I was taking 100k/d3 my hand and feet joints started to hurt. I continued to take this dose for more one week, then I decided to decrease the dose. Now I'm taking 20,000IU/day. '' Remembering that I don't have any autoimmune disease ''.

Joint Pain and Excessive Thirst are often associated with vitamin d3 toxicity. And they are the most common side effects.

Bone pain can also happen, but it is also related to low levels of vitamin D3 (hypovitaminosis D).

For example:
  1. One study examined the association between vitamin D levels and back pain in more than 9,000 older women. The researchers found that those with a deficiency were more likely to have back pain, including severe back pain that limited their daily activities - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23758943

2. In one controlled study, people with vitamin D deficiency were nearly twice as likely to experience bone pain in their legs, ribs or joints compared to those with blood levels in the normal range - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21199469

3. And it is also related with Muscle Pain. In one study, 71% of people with chronic pain were found to be vitamin D deficient - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24730754

In general, the patient cannot increase the dose of vitamin D very quickly. The body needs time to adapt to that dose - for many reasons. (That's why a medical guidance is necessary).
Ravehealth

Post by Ravehealth »

The test were all in the normal range...but thanks for the speedy reply and the food for thought!
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

As per Dr Coimbra, that the whole reason behind mega doses of D is because people with MS have trouble assimilating D. Your D levels can be normal, but that doesn't mean your body is benefiting from it - thus higher doss are necessary. The bone pain is a common symptom as your body starts to absorb the D it's been starved of. My wife went thru the same symptoms you are having several months ago, it did subside.
Here is a good article:
https://www.easy-immune-health.com/pain ... min-d.html
ps: I'm not a doctor
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

@rave, what was your serum magnesium level prior to starting d3 megadose, iima.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... ml#p223619
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

@rave?
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Ravehealth

Post by Ravehealth »

We came across the "remineralization" of bones as well.....but it seemed like that happened for people seriously deficient in vit d? The values of the Vit D were in the normal range, but it makes sense that such a high dose would affect the bones in that manner...

We did not do a magnesium blood test, as we heard it is not very helpful due to the small % of mag in the blood compared to the cells.....according to the symptoms chart though, I am deficient, as I have most of them.
Ravehealth

Post by Ravehealth »

Thanks for the advice/help everyone!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

serum magnesium is extremely informative. if you ever want to check back in with a serum mag level (serum 25(OH)d3 level too) feel free to drop me a line.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

28,000 scholar search results on "serum magnesium"
i'd be surprised if that body of lit has no merit. eg that study in which prevalence of deficiency symptoms was evaluated along a serum mag gradient.

having seriously depleted my own tissue mag (as evidenced by low circulating mag and many serious symptoms) with just 4K D3 per day long term, it's pretty much in your best interests to have a look.