Vitamin K probably should be taken with higher doses of D3

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Vitamin K probably should be taken with higher doses of D3

Post by ElliotB »

Vitamin K, among other things, is thought to balance calcium in your arteries. Since those on high doses of vitamin D3 are warned to limit calcium in the diet to avoid calcium related issues which can be exasperated when taking high doses of vitamin D, a vitamin K supplement should be seriously considered.

I have been taking vitamin K for years and I was unaware of all of vitamin K 's health benefits were until yesterday (I started taking a vitamin K supplement even before increasing my D intake). And while I have limited my dairy for many, many years, I have strictly limited it while being on moderate doses of vitamin D. But it is likely that the vitamin K supplement has helped modulate my calcium levels.

I have been taking a product called "Super K with Advanced K2 Complex" from LifeExtensions. It has several forms of vitamin K within its formulation and seems to have higher vitamin levels than competing products

Here is a link to product info from the manufacturer:

https://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins- ... K2-Complex

I buy mine on Amazon at discounted prices but the manufacturer currently offering a 50% off promotion here which offers a small amount of additional savings:

https://www.lifeextension.com/Lpages/aq ... 2018-GIFTS

If you take vitamins are not following a regimen of higher than typical vitamin D intake, it is still probably a good idea to add Vitamin K to your diet as it has numerous health benefits including this very important one that it helps promote the transfer of calcium into our bones.
Petr75
Family Elder

Re: Vitamin K probably should be taken with higher doses of

Post by Petr75 »

2018 Aug 27
Department of Biological Sciences, Geauga campus, Kent State University, Burton, Ohio
Vitamin K enhances the production of brain sulfatides during remyelination.
Free PMC Article: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0203057

Abstract
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a devastating neurological disease, which is characterized by multifocal demyelinating lesions in the central nervous system. The most abundant myelin lipids are galactosylceramides and their sulfated form, sulfatides, which together account for about 27% of the total dry weight of myelin. In this study we investigated the role of vitamin K in remyelination, by using an animal model for MS, the cuprizone model. Demyelination was induced in C57Bl6/J mice, by feeding them a special diet containing 0.3% cuprizone (w/w) for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, cuprizone was removed from the diet and mice were allowed to remyelinate for either 1 or 3 weeks, in the absence or presence of vitamin K (i.p. phylloquinone, 2mg, three times per week). Vitamin K enhanced the production of total brain sulfatides, after both 1 week and 3 weeks of remyelination (n = 5, P-values were <0.0001), when compared with the control group. To determine whether or not there is a synergistic effect between vitamins K and D for the production of brain sulfatides, we employed a similar experiment as above. Vitamin K also increased the production of individual brain sulfatides, including d18:1/18:0, d18:1/20:0, d18:1/24:0, and d18:1/24:1 after 3 weeks of remyelination, when compared to the control group. In addition, vitamin D enhanced the production of total brain sulfatides, as well as d18:1/18:0, d18:1/24:0, and d18:1/24:1 sulfatides after 3 weeks of remyelination, but no synergistic effect between vitamins K and D for the production of total brain sulfatides was observed.

( https://ereska.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t ... 9573#p9573 )
https://www.eboro.cz
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Very interesting!! Thanks for posting this info. If I am understanding the information correctly, vitamin K seems to accelerate and aid in the remyelination process. Truly amazing!
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

I used to take the Life Extension but now Michael Cawley recommends Medikor Menaquin Gold vitamin K2 as apparently it works much better.

Kittie.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"Michael Cawley recommends Medikor Menaquin Gold vitamin K2 as apparently it works much better"

Did he say why? Both products has the same amount of Vitamin K2 from the same source (as all-trans menaquinone-7), 100 mcg.
Kittie
Family Elder

Re: Vitamin K probably should be taken with higher doses of D3

Post by Kittie »

Medikor Menaquin gold has been proven to work with some of his patients. Also some of his patients family members. Calcium levels had diminished around the heart which was shown up with hospital tests. Now, that is the one he recommends to everyone. I couldn't take this because of heart palpitations when I took it. Now lower D3 I have been taking it daily and trying two morning and evening on a few days. 200mg is the recommeded amount. At the moment I do not seem to be having any problems.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Kittie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:40 am Medikor Menaquin gold has been proven to work with some of his patients. Also some of his patients family members. Calcium levels had diminished around the heart which was shown up with hospital tests. Now, that is the one he recommends to everyone. I couldn't take this because of heart palpitations when I took it. Now lower D3 I have been taking it daily and trying two morning and evening on a few days. 200mg is the recommended amount. At the moment I do not seem to be having any problems.
I really hope you had meant to write 200 micrograms (mcg or µg). 200 mg would be a 1000 fold increase. 200 mcg is the typical dosage for K2.

ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"200 mcg is the typical dosage for K2."

Actually for the product she is referring to, 100 mcg is the recommended daily dosage. The Life Extension product I take also has the all-trans menaquinone-7 at 100 mcg daily. Taking 200 mcg is likely not an issue.

It is likely she meant mcg and not mg!
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Yes mcg. Sorry my mistake.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Just thought I would add. Michael Cawley said it has to be 200mcg to work. That was the amount used by his patients. In the Menoquin Gold ad. above, it says recommended use is two capsules per day with meals. Apparently they didn't work with 100mcg daily.
roma
Getting to Know You...

Post by roma »

I drink 50,000 vitamin D Do I need to take vitamin К-2 mk 7? which is better?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

roma wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:40 pm I drink 50,000 vitamin D Do I need to take vitamin К-2 mk 7? which is better?
Yes, you want to take vitamin K2. It activates the matrix-Gla protein to help remove excess calcium from the vascular system. The K2-mk7 form should be fine. However, you want to make sure that you're care is being followed by a doctor as you don't want to become hypercalcemic.

Here are some freely available papers...