Ocrelizumab (Ocrevus) safety footprints create real worries

Discuss Ocrelizumab, a monoclonal antibody treatment for MS.
Cliffhanger

Ocrelizumab (Ocrevus) safety footprints create real worries

Post by Cliffhanger »

FOR SOME REASON, many tends to underestimate the risks with Ocrelizumab ( Ocrevus ) - it is far to much blue sky (sorry) opinions aired about this, to my view, risky MS-agent.

APART FROM ALL these cancer cases in the ORATORIO / PPMS trial (2.3% vs 0.8%) and also worrying 6 cases of breast cancer vs 0 in placebo - if you include the RRMS trial (Opera I/Opera II), it would be good to look at the history of this Ocrelizumab - its footprints in the past.

OCRELIZUMAB WAS HALTED in 2009/2010 both in Lupus and in RA due to several fatal deaths. It is by the way, very little talk about this in the context of the hype around, at least among some, Ocrelizumab in MS (rrms and ppms) ... I wonder why this silence as to previous safety footprints with ocrelizumab ( Ocrevus ) ...(?!)

THERE WERE 6 DEATHS associated with infections in the RA phase III trial.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3911947/

FURTHERMORE, THERE WERE 5 DEATHS associated with serious infections in the Lupus phase III trial.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 38037/full

Both studies were halted due to these deaths using Ocrelizumab.

ON OF THE FEW that really highlights the high risks with this Ocrelizumab is this professor Mark Freedman, who, for instance, did this statement at an interview at Ectrims 2015 - he starts talking about Ocrelizumab at the 3:50 mark of the video.

MY POINT:
Given Ocrelizumabs history, I think it is about time to acknowledge that this agent comes with great risks, given its bad safety footprints both in previous studies in RA and Lupus, and now lastly in MS - referring then firstly to all these malignancies.

Yes it appears to have a good efficacy towards halting relapses, but at what cost ? Roche wants of course to market this agent for a broad patient population to earn money. That is only natural wish for a business company.

But to my opinion, use of Ocrelizumab could only be an option for patients who is willing to take the risks and have highly active MS-disease.

And as professor Mark Freedman states in the above interview, what will happen in the long run when you suppress or deplete the B-cells so heavily as ocrelizumab dose ...?

I JUST WISH THAT we could have a more balanced discussion about risks and benefits. So far, to much of the debate is focused on the positive effects, but not so much is mentioned about Ocrelizumabs (OCREVUS) risks.

Professor Mark Freedman is one of the few that stands up and air a more balanced view on risks and benefits with regard to this Ocrevus (Ocrelizumab).
hargarah
Family Member

Re: Ocrelizumab (Ocrevus) safety footprints create real worr

Post by hargarah »

Professor Mark Freedman!!??

He is an egomaniac with his own agenda. Don't believe one word that comes from this moron. When he has an orgasm, he screams out his own name!

If he is airing out any balanced information, it is because he is trying to get MSers on other drugs which he is a proponent of (and making Big Pharma commissions).

Please don't ever mention his names, I have many stories to share, and just the sight of his name in text ruins my day!!!!
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

Cliffhanger wrote:FOR SOME REASON, many tends to underestimate the risks with Ocrelizumab ( Ocrevus ) - it is far to much blue sky (sorry) opinions aired about this, to my view, risky MS-agent.
It really does look dangerous. It seems that is a modified version of Rituxan. Do you know if Rituxan presented these problems?
orphansparrow
Family Member

Post by orphansparrow »

Thank you @Cliffhanger My husband's doctor really wants him to start this, and it seems so promising, but we are just not sure. It seems we have enough problems as it is without creating more with this brand new drug. And these deaths? Ugh. It's hard to know what to think. It's such a hard decision.