Ocrelizumab and male fertility

Discuss Ocrelizumab, a monoclonal antibody treatment for MS.
Pesho
Family Member

Ocrelizumab and male fertility

Post by Pesho »

I've been on Ocrelizumab for 5 years now and it looks like it is working well. No regression during that time, only one very small attack without any consequences in the second year. I know that for sure some female patients got pregnant and the babies are OK. I'm male and my wife cannot conceive and I'm thinking of getting out of the trial. I've red for other medications(Copaxone if I recall correctly) that they interfere with fertility but I'm not sure what is the case with us? I'm going to visit other doctors as well and actually thinking to drop out of the trial and get HSCT at some point. And save some sperm for future use :).
orphansparrow
Family Member

Re: Ocrelizumab and male fertility

Post by orphansparrow »

Hi Pesho. I am here wondering about the same thing. My husband and I have decided to try to get pregnant. He has PPMS and is scheduled to get his first round of Ocrevus in a few days. We are wondering if we should hold off until I get pregnant. The nurse told him that she did an internet search and did not find any indication that it affected male fertility. This isn't quite enough info for me. I'm wondering if you ever found anything out? Thanks!

Edit: I am expecting a call from a pharmacist to let me know whatever they know. I'll update the thread then.
orphansparrow
Family Member

Post by orphansparrow »

Edit: Got a call from our doctor today. She says there is no known risk of infertility or birth defects associated with taking Ocrevus. I don't know. The drug seems too new to know anything for sure.
Kheuer
Getting to Know You...

Post by Kheuer »

The mechanism of action should not cause infertility.

Ocrevus is a human monoclonal antibody that has a very high binding affinity to CD20 expressing B cells, A lower affinity than rituxan for non or low expressing CD20 b cells. It binds to separate epitopes and induces a more robust action of b cell destruction -'' autolysis, etc.

Remember, it is a more targeted, more effective, and apparently safer completely human version of Rituxan ( chimeric human and mouse antibody )