Ocrevus is a Wonder Drug for MS

Discuss Ocrelizumab, a monoclonal antibody treatment for MS.
seeva
Family Elder

Ocrevus is a Wonder Drug for MS

Post by seeva »

HI Friends please read a news today1st of feb SMH newspaper news
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... 4yz4v.html
regards
seeva
dansmail26

Re: Ocrevus is a Wonder Drug for MS

Post by dansmail26 »

but is it any better then rituximab? My doc wants me to go on rituximab and keep taking avonex as the insurance company wuill keep paying for both.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

per the article:

"....A few months later she is "99 per cent back to normal"

Isn't that the case for most with RRMS whether they take drugs of any kind or not? How do they know with certainty it was the Ocrevus?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote:per the article:

"....A few months later she is "99 per cent back to normal"

Isn't that the case for most with RRMS whether they take drugs of any kind or not? How do they know with certainty it was the Ocrevus?
N's of one may or may not be interesting, but they're certainly meaningless statistically.
undisclosED

Post by undisclosED »

If anyone is interested, there is a new, closed Facebook group that was started on April 13, 2018 specifically for PPMS, SPMS and Ocrevus.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152024362299714/
Kheuer
Getting to Know You...

Post by Kheuer »

Based on all the continually emerging data, I agree, wonder drug. First infusions 1 month post diagnosis.

New results from clinical studies show ocrevus results in some patients

RECOVERING LOST FUNCTION
Kheuer
Getting to Know You...

Post by Kheuer »

dansmail26 wrote:but is it any better then rituximab? My doc wants me to go on rituximab and keep taking avonex as the insurance company wuill keep paying for both.
Short answer = yes

Long answer =

1. It is 100% human versus the human/mouse chimeric rituxan

2. It has a higher binding affinity for CD20 expressing b cells than rituxan, and a lower affinity for non CD20 b cells --> binds more preferentially to the bad B cells than rituxan, and less to the non bad B cells

4. It has a higher efficacy at causing cell death than rituxan, it binds at different epitopes on the cell causing more efficient cell death

5. It has been clinically shown to STOP progression in some patients after 2 years of infusions.

6. It has been clinically proven to actually help some patients RECOVER LOST COGNITIVE AND PHYSICAL FUNCTION after 4 years.

It is the ONLY THERAPY to ever do #5 and #6
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"It is the ONLY THERAPY to ever do #5 and #6"

Not true - there are now other safe therapies doing #5 and #6.
Kheuer
Getting to Know You...

Post by Kheuer »

ElliotB wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:28 am "It is the ONLY THERAPY to ever do #5 and #6"

Not true - there are now other safe therapies doing #5 and #6.
Which clinically documented? Because you're statement is factually incorrect.

Ocrevus is the ONLY treatment to stop progression and also recover LOST function, unless you are talking the Klenner Protocol, which I believe to be effective, yet was not clinically documented.

I use a modified oral Klenner Protocol as adjuvant to Ocrevus.

If you did the full Klenner Protocol -- including the IM and IV doses, the cost approaches 50k+. The compounding RX for shots and IV is expensive.

The Wahl protocol has no clinical evidence to date.

FYI Genentech puts your entire out if pocket Ocrevus plus infusion clinic cost onto a debit card that YOU pay your DR with. It is essentially free and also wipes out your out of pocket max, so all your other medical care is free for the year if you get an infusion early. I'm sitting in a recliner 2 hours into my 6 hour ride right now.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"5. It has been clinically shown to STOP progression in some patients after 2 years of infusions."

in some patients?

FACT: The progression in some patients stops without any intervention of any kind. This is the case for the majority of those with MS.

Clinical trials are easy to add bias, all too easy to manipulate, to get a desired outcome. And of course interpretation of the results can also be manipulated/biased depending on what the desired conclusion is.

Copaxone is thought to reduce the rate of relapses and to slow the progression of MS as well and there have been many clinical trials on that drug.

And of course there are numerous non-'proven' protocols.

The true fact is there is no way of knowing that any of these drugs and protocols really work. How can you really know for sure with a disease that by its nature goes into remission for most and is totally unpredictable.