Why Ocrevus is a new favorite drug by doctors?

Discuss Ocrelizumab, a monoclonal antibody treatment for MS.
Optimistic99

Why Ocrevus is a new favorite drug by doctors?

Post by Optimistic99 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:31 pm

I am a new member of this family, and wanted to explore about this medicine.
I have been recently diagnosed with MS and 2 doctors in two different countries have prescribed this medicine. I am a little confused whether it's a safe drug or not as the internet reveals a lot on the serious side effects of Ocrevus.

Anunymouse
Family Member

Re: Why Ocrevus is a new favorite drug by doctors?

Post by Anunymouse » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:19 pm

The main side effects are during and post infusion. I'm one of the lucky ones that gets a rash. I also feel run down for about a week afterwards but there's a reasonable chance it's psychosomatic. I get the infusion done at the local cancer center and I find the whole thing even more depressing than normal. I believe 2 women in one of the studies was dxd with breast cancer by the %s weren't outside the population norm. It's still worrisome to me, but so is being bedridden.

It's relatively inexpensive compared to many ms meds. It has fewer side effects than many. It has a higher efficacy than most and it's only done twice a year. So there are a lot of positives to it.

It's a fairly aggressive drug compared to the crab drugs, which are mainly side effects and essentially 0 benefit. Personally I believe you should attack disease as hard and as fast as possible, not take years of Taking things proven to not work until things have gotten so bad the aggressive drugs won't work either.

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:15 pm

Anunymouse wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:19 pm
The main side effects are during and post infusion. I'm one of the lucky ones that gets a rash. I also feel run down for about a week afterwards but there's a reasonable chance it's psychosomatic. I get the infusion done at the local cancer center and I find the whole thing even more depressing than normal. I believe 2 women in one of the studies was dxd with breast cancer by the %s weren't outside the population norm. It's still worrisome to me, but so is being bedridden.

It's relatively inexpensive compared to many ms meds. It has fewer side effects than many. It has a higher efficacy than most and it's only done twice a year. So there are a lot of positives to it.

It's a fairly aggressive drug compared to the crab drugs, which are mainly side effects and essentially 0 benefit. Personally I believe you should attack disease as hard and as fast as possible, not take years of Taking things proven to not work until things have gotten so bad the aggressive drugs won't work either.
Ocrevus vs. placebo on disability progression. Two data plots which are nearly identical. I've asked this question before, maybe you can answer it. What am I missing?

ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:00 am

"Ocrevus vs. placebo on disability progression. Two data plots which are nearly identical. I've asked this question before, maybe you can answer it. What am I missing? "

The same is pretty much true for Copaxone and the few other MS drugs I have taken a close looks at. You are probably not missing anything, ALL the MS drugs likely have little effect, if any at all!

I have not found one that stands out! And the pharmaceutical companies seem to use 'fuzzy math' to present the results of their trials.

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:39 pm

ElliotB wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:00 am
I have not found one that stands out! And the pharmaceutical companies seem to use 'fuzzy math' to present the results of their trials.
It's not just "fuzzy math" such as using relative percentages to amplify small differences. In the above data plot, there are a considerable number of "censored" data points especially in regions of the Ocrevus plot where the slope tends to differ from the placebo plot perhaps helping to contribute to any apparent overall difference.

HarbourBoy

Post by HarbourBoy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:14 pm

I think that chart reflects a 25% reduction in progression compared to no treatment. It’s not much but I guess 25% is better than nothing. I might be wrong