Ocrelizumab Trial

Discuss Ocrelizumab, a monoclonal antibody treatment for MS.
Milo

Ocrelizumab Trial

Post by Milo »

Is anyone here participating or considering the Ocrelizumab trial? I have my first infusion next week.
ssmme
Family Elder

Post by ssmme »

I've never heard of this 'mab'. How many patients is this trial taking? I would not want to take Avonex but that's just me. It would be a deal breaker in joining this particular trial.
Marcia
Milo

Post by Milo »

This is a phase II trial, and it is very small. Only 200 people worldwide. I wonder what happens if you get the Avonex, you show up for the first infusion and they give you some Avonex instead?
ssmme
Family Elder

Post by ssmme »

If it's like the alemtuzamab trials then you take the Avonex once a week instead of the infusion. Your trial doctor will be blinded to what you get and your not to tell him/her. It won't be double blinded because you'll know what you you're taking.
Marcia
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

From what I've read about it, it is a "fully humanized" version of Rituximab. I could be so wrong, but the blurbs I've read about it tout that it is humanized while Rituxan is a synthesized MAB. And since they are talking about Rituxan in the comparison, I just assumed that it is supposed to have the same mechanism of action.
Milo

Post by Milo »

You are correct. Apparently there is a mouse protiene in rituxan that the immune system eventualy creates antibodies against rendering the drug ineffective. This is the same drug as rituxan using a synthetic protien that is more human like.
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Thanks for the clarification Milo!