Circulating exosomes suppress the induction of T-cells

A forum to discuss research on the origins of MS and its development.
frodo
Family Elder

Circulating exosomes suppress the induction of T-cells

Post by frodo »

Circulating exosomes suppress the induction of regulatory T cells via let-7i in multiple sclerosis

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-017-02406-2

Abstract

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a T cell-mediated autoimmune disease of the central nervous system. Foxp3+ regulatory T (Treg) cells are reduced in frequency and dysfunctional in patients with MS, but the underlying mechanisms of this deficiency are unclear.

Here, we show that induction of human IFN-γ−IL-17A−Foxp3+CD4+ T cells is inhibited in the presence of circulating exosomes from patients with MS. The exosomal miRNA profile of patients with MS differs from that of healthy controls, and let-7i, which is markedly increased in patients with MS, suppresses induction of Treg cells by targeting insulin like growth factor 1 receptor (IGF1R) and transforming growth factor beta receptor 1 (TGFBR1).

Consistently, the expression of IGF1R and TGFBR1 on circulating naive CD4+ T cells is reduced in patients with MS. Thus, our study shows that exosomal let-7i regulates MS pathogenesis by blocking the IGF1R/TGFBR1 pathway.