Epstein Bar Virus - A Review of the Epstein Barr Virus in Relationship to MS

A forum to discuss research on the origins of MS and its development.
Kinora
Getting to Know You...

Epstein Bar Virus - A Review of the Epstein Barr Virus in Relationship to MS

Post by Kinora »

http://www.ebvms.com/

+

With Poem-The Long and Winding Road reinterpreted.
violin
Family Member

Re: Epstein Bar Virus - A Review of the Epstein Barr Virus in Relationship to MS

Post by violin »

Famcyclovir might help against the EBV and MS association. I take it.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Epstein Bar Virus - A Review of the Epstein Barr Virus in Relationship to MS

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Famciclovir breaks down into penciclovir in the body. In this form it has a higher intracellular concentration than acyclovir achieves but it doesn’t cause chain termination. Acyclovir and Valacyclovir result in chain termination.

It's Chain termination that you want. A woman called Gertrude Elion won the 1988 Nobel prize for her work on this. It's the acyclovir that stops the EBV replicating. Famiciclovir gets into tissue better than Acyclovir or Valacyclovir.

Famicyclovir will work on Herpes Simplex types 1 and 2 and on Herpes Zoster by a very similar path that Acyclovir takes. It won't terminate the EBV cycle. Only Acyclovir or Valacyclovir does that.

They are structurally very similar but the famcyclovir has a group hanging off the side that interferes with chain termination.

Regards
violin
Family Member

Post by violin »

Wow. Thanks. So I should take Acyclovir, too.

The Acyclovir tablets I used to take were big. Doc said I could take the tiny Famvir pills instead.

Which is better against EBV, Acyclovir or Valtrex?

Maybe it’s HHV 6 that Famvir might have effect on.
(ValCYTE was good at first for me, but then less so, and it’s very expensive.)
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,
I don't think that there is a contraindication if you take both but I'd check the dosing. You can't cut a slice of butter with a sledgehammer. It is depends what you are trying to attack. Famcyclovir for HSV1 and 2 is fine. It will possibly slow EBV but won't stop it.
If its just EBV you are dealing with, then just take Acyclovir. I take 2x500mg daily and have for 20 years. That is a perfectly acceptable long term dose.
Acyclovir is sold as Valacyclovir (or Valaciclovir) . In the body it splits into Valine and Acyclovir. No one takes Acyclovir straight (except in a dish). Valtrex was the original brand name for Valacyclovir. Now there are many generic producers so the price has crashed. They usually sell it as aciclovir but it's the same stuff.
In Australia, I seem to get it at a good price. I think my ongoing good health has prompted the neurologist (who I only see once a year) to add my name to a list that means I get it at a reduced price.(I'm only guessing about that.)