Biotin could make MS worse

A forum to discuss research on the origins of MS and its development.
frodo
Family Elder

Biotin could make MS worse

Post by frodo »

Not good news for those on Biotin, but very interesting from the point of view of the pathogenesis research.

The Rise and Fall of High-Dose Biotin to Treat Progressive Multiple Sclerosis
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/1 ... 0907-5.pdf

Excerpt

Thus, whether HDB (high dose biotin) is efficacious in PMS and/or whether it causes relapses is uncertain at this time. Both issues are clinically relevant.

Many centers, including our own, have treated a sizable number of patients with HDB because it was considered to be low risk and potentially beneficial for patients with few therapeutic options. Reviewing electronic medical record data from our comprehensive MS clinic, 350 patients with a diagnosis of MS were prescribed HDB from August 2016 to June 2020. Considering the negative results of the SPI2 trial, along with at least some studies reporting increased risk of relapse or increased MRI activity, our clinical practice will likely shift away from routine use of HDB.

This is unfortunate given the lack of robustly effective treatment options for PMS that slow progression and/or reverse disability. We look forward to the results of ongoing studies of several novel strategies.

Edit: Second report about the same, this time in the lancet

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... kWsr_nSr1Q
Last edited by frodo on Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterX

Re: Biotin could make MS worse - Hoax

Post by PeterX »

Dear frodo, endpoints of the MedDay study was strictly focused on gait improvements. But long-term taking HDB has some other positive effects. For that reason is the study for MS patients irelevant.
HDB is primarily intended for PPMS patients. What relapses are the authors of that article (The Rise and Fall of High-Dose Biotin to Treat Progressive Multiple Sclerosis) writing about? Patients with PPMS do not have relapses! And I doubt that the article is based on some double-blinded study.
It is questionable whether the article was not affected by Big Pharma, because HDB treatment is relatively cheap, and we all know their policy.
I personally (SPMS) have been using HDB for several years and I can't complain.
frodo
Family Elder

Re: Biotin could make MS worse

Post by frodo »

I didn't know that. Thanks.