Disposing of Needles

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Rebif
Karazhan
Family Member

Disposing of Needles

Post by Karazhan »

I currently have a year's worth of used needles stored in a plastic Folger's coffee canister (a perfect container, btw). I remember the MS Lifelines nurse telling me that they cannot go into the garbage so what should I do with them?
Kara
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

I had found a local hospital that would take used needles as part of their diabetes program. They gave me a container, and when I brought it back filled, they gave me an empty one. Unfortunately, I think programs like this are hard to find.

If you can't find something like this, you could try talking to the county department that handles waste (particularly hazardous waste) material.

Incidentally, and laws vary by state and county, but my MS nurse told me to put the used needles in a hard plastic container (like your Folger's canister), duct tape the top shut, and throw it in the regular trash. Even if this was legal, I didn't feel right about it, and so I found the hospital that would take the used needles.
dlb
Family Elder

Post by dlb »

In Canada, we are provided with "sharps" containers at the pharmacy where we get our prescription/needles. Then when the containers are filled we take them back to the pharmacy and they dispose of them. These sharps containers are hard plastic, yellow - just like you see in airports or the hospitals. They have lids that snap on & aren't easily opened once you fill the container & close it. They are labeled for sharps (needles) and there is no cost involved. That is how it is done here - have you checked with your pharmacist?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Disposing of Needles

Post by NHE »

Hi Kara,
You might want to also try calling around to some of your local pharmacies as they may take the old needles.

NHE
Karazhan
Family Member

Post by Karazhan »

Thanks for the advice, all. I will call the local pharmacies first as that would be the most convenient for me. If that doesn't work, duct tape it is.
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

Karazhan wrote:If that doesn't work, duct tape it is.
I was a little hesitant mentioning that. Please, at least check the county laws first, to make sure you're not dumping the needles illegally.
Out2l8
Getting to Know You...

Post by Out2l8 »

I am taking Copaxone and just wanted to point out a disposal method that I've been using for quite a while.

There is a small cheap device that is common for people taking insulin, that simply clips the needle off of the pre-filled syringe and stores it in a tiny box within the clipper. Once the needle is clipped off, the rest of the injection components become completely harmless and can be disposed of like normal trash. It can hold up to 1,500 needles and when it's full, simply dispose of the whole clipper.

Safe-Clip is made by Becton-Dickinson:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx ... 02&id=7416

And can be purchased for as little as 4.25 + postage. But run a Google search and you'll find many vendors for the Safe-Clip:

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/Vitality ... C13064x004

Just something that I've found very useful
Karazhan
Family Member

Post by Karazhan »

Thanks, Out. I'll check into that. I called one of the pharmacies Friday and talked to an assistant/tech. She wasn't sure about the store policy but she'd never seen anyone else bring in used needles. I also called my gp's office and was told that they use a paid service to take away bio-hazard waste but she also couldn't give me a definite answer at to the office policy.
Couldn't I just scatter them on the nearest playground...for kicks? :twisted:
Froggie
Family Elder

Disposing Used Needles

Post by Froggie »

Kara,
Speaking of counties, the county health department may be able to dispose of the needles for you. (At least in the U.S.) If not, they'll likely be able to tell you how to properly dispose of them. I use an old liquid laundry detergent bottle with a twist off cap that seems to work pretty well. As far as I know, it's legal here to do it that way. Since I'm no longer on Copaxone, my needle volume has decreased exponentially... :P
Markd
Getting to Know You...

used needles

Post by Markd »

I have about 6 years in a plastic container. I break off the needle then throw them all together. Throw the plunger in the garbage. Its every injection I have ever used give or take 3 months, almost 4 gallons worth. Maybe I can use them for an art project someday or will them to my kids as some sort of practicle joke. I am open to all suggestions.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: used needles

Post by NHE »

Markd wrote:I have about 6 years in a plastic container. I break off the needle then throw them all together. Throw the plunger in the garbage. Its every injection I have ever used give or take 3 months, almost 4 gallons worth. Maybe I can use them for an art project someday or will them to my kids as some sort of practicle joke. I am open to all suggestions.
Hi Markd,
I posted this information a while back concerning needle disposal.
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-118878.html#118878

NHE
Maledicte
Family Member

Post by Maledicte »

Karazhan wrote:I currently have a year's worth of used needles stored in a plastic Folger's coffee canister (a perfect container, btw). I remember the MS Lifelines nurse telling me that they cannot go into the garbage so what should I do with them?
Kara

Go to a medical supply and ask for needle clipper (about $4) or order online.

It holds about a year of needles and you just throw away the rest of the syringe in normal garbage.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Maledictesjewels
Bear2
Family Member

Post by Bear2 »

Walgreens has the needle clipper, works great and prevents me from sticking myself accidently.
jcoleman316
Getting to Know You...

Post by jcoleman316 »

Yup...needle nippers from walmart...5 bucks...check the isle in the pharmacy where the diabetic testing supplies are located.
James coleman, 35, Married to the best wife ever. Diagnosed Dec. 22, 2011. Rebif rx from January 2012, to March 2014. Starting Gilenya soon.

Return to “Rebif”