REBIF & Thyroid function

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Rebif
oreo
Family Elder

REBIF & Thyroid function

Post by oreo »

I've been on Rebif since 2005. The day after I had my routine blood work done at the beginning of December, I got a call from my Dr.'s office. Thyroid levels off, sending prescription to drug store - come back in 6 weeks for retest. Well that was last week so today I stopped in to see what the story was. Seems the Dr. got the dosage right on the first try. Level are back to normal. Wonderful I thought, does that mean I'm done with the thyroid pills. Silly me!!!
Oh no, said the nurse. You're on them for the rest of your life, thyroid function rarely returns once lost.
Moral of the story: No matter how long you are on Rebif keep up with regular blood work just to be safe.
Carpe Diem
Froggie
Family Elder

Re: REBIF & Thyroid function

Post by Froggie »

thyroid function rarely returns once lost
That's comforting...not! I recently had my thyroid checked as well, though no problems so far. I have, however, been fighting with Leukopenia, which is a common side-effect with Rebif. I'm with you on the blood work- very important to stay on top of it.
TAClarkACP

Post by TAClarkACP »

I started taking Rebif in June of this year, immediately following my diagnosis. About one month in, I noticed that I was retaining water ALOT, I also had an increase in hot flashes and being hot all the time. I am 47 so assumed it was menopause, added hormones to my pharmacy run, then I developed high blood pressure which could be explained by my age and genetics (everyone in my family has hbp). Now, the water retention has continued and I have noticed that I can't seem to get enough sleep, and well just feel AWFUL! I have an appointment with my PCP for a blood work up, but wondered if anyone has ever experienced this? I decided to try an OTC thyroid med with the active ingredient L-Tyrosine. I immediately noticed an improvement with fluid retention and energy level, it's difficult though becuase if I take too many my heart races. If you are taking thyroid meds, what are you taking and how has it worked for you?

Thank you
carolsue
Family Elder

Post by carolsue »

TAClark: haven't had those side effects/symptoms, but I did develop high blood pressure coincident with going on Rebif 7.5 years ago. I'm fit and eat healthy and am not one of those type A personalities. My mother has HBP so maybe it's genetics, but I do wonder if it's an unreported side effect of Rebif.