Post Injection Malaise

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Rebif
Froggie
Family Elder

Post Injection Malaise

Post by Froggie »

Greetings all- I've been on Rebif for over two years now and while I've managed to deal with any flu-like symptoms, I still sometimes feel worn out and "wifty" the next day. I do my injections at night with 400-600 mg of Ibuprofen and drink lots of water during the day. Any suggestions?
carolsue
Family Elder

Re: Post Injection Malaise

Post by carolsue »

I don't really get the flu like side effects, but sometimes do feel off my game the day after an evening shot. Have you ever tried to do the injection in the morning? I have, with good results. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it might be worth a try.
Froggie
Family Elder

Post by Froggie »

carolsue wrote: Have you ever tried to do the injection in the morning? I have, with good results. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it might be worth a try.
Counterintuitive is right! I've done evening injections to sleep through the flu-like symptoms. My body has adjusted very well, though I have problems at night sometimes with being thermally comfortable. I tend to have night sweats, as I get warm very easily. The malaise doesn't hit all the time, but when it does, I'm useless. Are you good to go on injection days?
carolsue
Family Elder

Post by carolsue »

yes, I'm pretty much good to go when I do the injections in the morning. Like I said, I don't suffer from the flu-like side effects so much, but sometimes if I do the injection at night, I might wake up with a headache or feel a little off my game. Wifty, as you described. That might be because maybe I don't get as good a night's sleep when I've just taken a shot. But when I do them in the morning, especially if I have a busy day ahead, I don't notice those kinds of side effects. Maybe it's the adrenaline and other hormones of daytime activity that counteract the effects, I don't know. It's certainly not any worse than night time injections. I probably do a third of my injections in the mornings now.
Froggie
Family Elder

Update-Post Injection Malaise

Post by Froggie »

Greetings all-

I think I've conquered the post-injection "wifties"! Carolsue, you were right about doing said injections earlier in the day. I tried doing them mid-afternoon and so far, so good. I seem to feel better, especially the next day. I spoke to an MS Lifelines nurse who said that part of the problem of injecting at night is one's metabolism slows when we sleep as well as not staying well-hydrated. I know I can't drink a lot of water prior to bedtime, as I'll have to spend the night in the bathroom. During the day, it's more manageable.
carolsue
Family Elder

Post by carolsue »

That's great news! Thanks for the update and I'm so glad it's helped.

Return to “Rebif”