help with a new person on rebif

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Rebif
julieg

help with a new person on rebif

Post by julieg »

I have just been on Rebif Since Nov. 21/12 I was on copaxone for 13 years and it was no longer working, witch was to bad as I had no side effects and tolerated it very well, not doing so well with the rebif, went to my full dose last night and today was not very good woke up with major flu like symptoms muscle and joint pain and headache, is this ever going to get any better, it has only been a month but I am getting so discouraged I have always had fatigue with my ms, but this is out of the world fatigue now, if I know it will get better I am sure I can manage to struggle thru it but if not I do not think I can keep taking it, does anyone have any advise or suggestions
thanks Julie
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: help with a new person on rebif

Post by NHE »

Hi Julie,
Welcome to ThisIsMS. What are you taking for Rebif's side effects? Many folks find that ibuprofen works fairly well to counteract the side effects from Ifn-B. Since you're on Rebif which is multiple shots every week, I would recommend trying to find the lowest effective dose of ibuprofen that helps. For example, try 200 mg at the time of your shot and then another 200 mg about 4 hours later. Some the next day might also be helpful for getting rid of the lingering aches and mental fog. If 200 mg doesn't work, then up it to 400 mg always being careful not to exceed the recommended dosage. Chronic use of ibuprofen can be problematic so that's why going with the lowest effective dose is best. See if 200 mg makes things more manageable.

NHE
oreo
Family Elder

Post by oreo »

To add to the above, take the ibuprofen about half an hour BEFORE the shot.
Carpe Diem
Froggie
Family Elder

Post by Froggie »

Hi Julie,

I was in a similar situation. Started on Copaxone & was on it for nine months. I turned out to be a non-optimal responder as well as suffering from severe hives at the injection site. I've been on Rebif now for almost three years. I can't recall exactly how long it took for my body to adjust, but I had the dreaded flu-like symptoms early on. Several things that may help you out. Staying well hydrated is crucial. Secondly, an earlier injection time may help as well. I was having problems with "wiftiness" and feeling like I were hit by a Mack truck the next day when I did it at night. It sounds counter-intuitive, but an MS Lifelines nurse explained that our metabolism slows down when we sleep and we can't stay hydrated during that time.

As for the Ibuprofen, I wouldn't worry too much about the dosage, save probably taking 800 mg is more than plenty. I take two tabs (400 mg) about an hour before the injection and then an additional tab (200 mg) a 1/2 hour before. It depends on where the injection is. You may also have to take more later on depending on how you feel. If you're concerned about the dosage, you can have your liver enzymes tested with blood work. I have mine done every six months or so and haven't had any problems. Yeah, more needles... Hope you feel better!
1978leandro

Post by 1978leandro »

Julieg

I shot rebif44 since August/2012, and always wonder, when I go up reactions?
I would answer, but MERCK not have that answer.

I using too Ibuprofeno 600mg and Dipirona Sódica 20mg (50drops).
My sintoms are: Flu, Fever and chills.
I'm here to help you and share my reactions.

By

Leandro
Markd
Getting to Know You...

Post by Markd »

Buy the big bottle of Ibu at Costco. My flu like symptoms lasted about 6 months. The reaction was really handy when I was feeling lazy. Been about 6 years since I've been able to use that excuse.

Return to “Rebif”